VM vs native
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbythemonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: VM vs native Reply with quote

I am currently luckey enough to have access to a Z800 (raptor) and was wondering if anyone out there has any info about running on VM versus it running in LPAR or native mode. The way that I have it setup right now (although not 100% working :-) ) is through vm. Which is a hassle. But It works. As soon as it gets up and runnig, ill post a How - To. But anyinfo on it would be really cool.

At present the way I set things up is with an enormous reamdisk and kernel that i load into the vm through ftp. I then IPL the linux "boot disk" and start up a terminal which i can ssh into. The VM scripts i use I wrote in REXX ( whicih are horrible, seeing that I no zero REXX). This is the most time consuming part of the whole ordeal.

Next is the DASD setup whicih is very basic. When init runs (on the bootdisk , before you set up ssh) it asks you for information about the DASD devices that you have access to. Then all you have to do is add the block devices and format and mount them. Peice of cake.

Problem 1 chroot does not work for some very odd reason. It will not change the root - there are not errors. IE if i have my new root partions in say /mnt/gentoo and it is all setup ( formatted has bin and lib and etc and dev.... ) is looks like it will run. Any suggestions?

Problem 2 the ram disk uses the korn shell, I want the bash shell on the system. Seeing that bash uses more librares than the korn shell i though that all i would have to do is chroot and tell it to use bash then after i reboot the system the bash would be default. but going back to Problem one, it dont work it memories leaks. So i recomile it staticallly. No help it does this with both the 2.2 kernel and the 2.4 it works on my other sytems (same arch)

~~ I hope this forum helps everyone

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since I really can't help in setting up IBM servers ('cause a lack of money :P) I'd be surely no help for you in special things you probbably need.
But what I recomment is to get experience in Gentoo Systems on a x86 machine before installing it on any zSeries. This might devide the problems (such as chroot...) into hardware dependant and non-hardware-dependant problems.
However, I am really very happy about seeing more architectures running Gentoo Linux than x86 :D

Regards,
Christian Parpart
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VM vs native Reply with quote

Jimbythemonkey wrote:
Problem 1 chroot does not work for some very odd reason. It will not change the root - there are not errors. IE if i have my new root partions in say /mnt/gentoo and it is all setup ( formatted has bin and lib and etc and dev.... ) is looks like it will run. Any suggestions?

So... you "chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash", you return to a prompt, and you can still see /mnt/gentoo?

Jimbythemonkey wrote:
Problem 2 the ram disk uses the korn shell, I want the bash shell on the system. Seeing that bash uses more librares than the korn shell i though that all i would have to do is chroot and tell it to use bash then after i reboot the system the bash would be default.

The shell in Gentoo defaults to bash, so no worries there. And you would be using bash as soon as you chroot, so...

Jimbythemonkey wrote:
but going back to Problem one, it dont work it memories leaks.

What? Where? Who? When? Why? (Huh?)
Jimbythemonkey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok to clarify some things (im a little light headed these days)

When I Chroot using ksh it does nothing drops me back to the promt but did not change the root. I still see /mnt/gentoo and so on

when i try using bash, comipled static or dynamic for either the 2.2 or the 2.4 kerenl it memory faults says memory fault and then drops me back to the prompt

Any hints? Tips? Ideas?
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a long shot, but do you have anything in the logs regarding the chroot command?

Also, does /mnt/gentoo/bin/bash work for you?
TheDarb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:52 am    Post subject: IBM offers free training on z/VM Linux in Poughkeepsie, NY. Reply with quote

Head on out to the IBM campus in Poughkeepsie and ask for them to direct you to the training building. Ask them to sign up for their next available seat in their free z/VM 3 day course.

It was absolutely amazing! I'm a Linux/Unix person who's recently become lucky enough to support Linux on the z/ s/390 boxes at work. I learned more than any class Boeing ever paid for. And it's right near you!

Highly recommend it.

*TheDarb
http://www.pclinuxonline.com
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: