No problems, just general chat, getting conversation started
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rottingdead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: No problems, just general chat, getting conversation started Reply with quote

This Gentoo experience has been quite interesting, currently running FluxBox, and this is an excellent Window Manager, =). It's been days day, and I have yet to see it crash, or not run well, it's just excellent in all departments, =). It get's a 10 of 10, score from me, =P. Just seeing how far this forums post can go, as in how many days, =P.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to gentoo. I'm glad your enjoying it.

Since this forum has been pretty slow this past couple years, this thread will stay in page 1 for quite some time, even if this is the only post.
rottingdead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dol-sen wrote:
welcome to gentoo. I'm glad your enjoying it.

Since this forum has been pretty slow this past couple years, this thread will stay in page 1 for quite some time, even if this is the only post.

Hah, this is the only thread in this section?
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there are currently 12 sticky threads, 38 regular in the first page of Gentoo Chat forum. It displays 50 threads per page.

I you scroll down to the bottom of the Gentoo Chat forum page, you will see the following thread listed.

Quote:
Gentoo is getting almost impossible to keep working...
24 4305 cayenne
Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:25 pm mcgruff
Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:48 pm <===== last post

So, if the pace of new threads/old threads brought back to the top continues, that'l give this thread about 2.5 months before it gets bumped to page 2 of the Gentoo Chat forum. :wink: That is if no other posts are made to this thread.
rottingdead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dol-sen wrote:
No, there are currently 12 sticky threads, 38 regular in the first page of Gentoo Chat forum. It displays 50 threads per page.

I you scroll down to the bottom of the Gentoo Chat forum page, you will see the following thread listed.

Quote:
Gentoo is getting almost impossible to keep working...
24 4305 cayenne
Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:25 pm mcgruff
Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:48 pm <===== last post

So, if the pace of new threads/old threads brought back to the top continues, that'l give this thread about 2.5 months before it gets bumped to page 2 of the Gentoo Chat forum. :wink: That is if no other posts are made to this thread.

Hmm, weird, almost impossible to keep working? Haven't had any serious issues with my install.. Although, I don't really do much, as it is..
affirmedatheist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. Everything here has pretty much *just worked* for me, despite being a relative newbie to Gentoo (though not Linux). This is also despite running ~amd64. I've had one or two issues, but when I have hit a problem it's usually been because of a dodgy download (mobile internet will do that to you).

What I really like is that the config files are *readable* and don't look like a dog's breakfast - everything seems commented and laid out cleanly, and if it isn't, it needed to be tweaked to individual setups anyway (my Gentoo fstab file is *much* cleaner looking than the one I have in my LMDE boot *shudders*). Also, although the community here seems small, everyone seems very helpful and patient.
rottingdead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

affirmedatheist wrote:
Indeed. Everything here has pretty much *just worked* for me, despite being a relative newbie to Gentoo (though not Linux). This is also despite running ~amd64. I've had one or two issues, but when I have hit a problem it's usually been because of a dodgy download (mobile internet will do that to you).

What I really like is that the config files are *readable* and don't look like a dog's breakfast - everything seems commented and laid out cleanly, and if it isn't, it needed to be tweaked to individual setups anyway (my Gentoo fstab file is *much* cleaner looking than the one I have in my LMDE boot *shudders*). Also, although the community here seems small, everyone seems very helpful and patient.

Yeah, I know what you mean, most of the people on Arch Linux Forums aren't very friendly at all, don't want to help any, never bother to help, I should say.
john.newman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

around 12 months ago, i did something wrong [still not sure what], but emerge was very uncooperative and was full of conflicts/blocks/broken packages. I freaked out and ran over to ubuntu server. After about 2 days of that, it was ... just awful. I came back to gentoo, and have since had a truly perfect experience. I seriously have had no problems whatsoever and everything works perfect. I think the use of /etc/portage/package.use has played a big part in this. I seriously believe I have one of the best linux installs in the world right now. :D Also running fluxbox ... i've tried them all and fluxbox is definately the best (for me at least).

emerge -uDNpv world
[carefully read and review use flags, add changes to /etc/portage/package.* as required]
emerge -uDNv world
emerge --depclean
revdep-rebuild

perfect everytime. not a single bug to speak of. i've honestly had to reboot twice since building this back in january, only for kernel upgrades. :idea: big up to the gentoo team, i wish everyone would learn how to use this instead of binary crap, which creates most of the bad perception about linux being full of bugs.
rottingdead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john.newman wrote:
around 12 months ago, i did something wrong [still not sure what], but emerge was very uncooperative and was full of conflicts/blocks/broken packages. I freaked out and ran over to ubuntu server. After about 2 days of that, it was ... just awful. I came back to gentoo, and have since had a truly perfect experience. I seriously have had no problems whatsoever and everything works perfect. I think the use of /etc/portage/package.use has played a big part in this. I seriously believe I have one of the best linux installs in the world right now. :D Also running fluxbox ... i've tried them all and fluxbox is definately the best (for me at least).

emerge -uDNpv world
[carefully read and review use flags, add changes to /etc/portage/package.* as required]
emerge -uDNv world
emerge --depclean
revdep-rebuild

perfect everytime. not a single bug to speak of. :idea:

HEy, maybe you can help solve this error I'm having..

Code:

Failed to emerge net-zope/zope-interface-3.8.0, Log file:

I have the log file, but not sure how the Forums Mod had me pipe it to a site. I know how to pipe, by using >, but not to a site.
Trog Dog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john.newman wrote:

emerge -uDNpv world
emerge -uDNv world
emerge --depclean
revdep-rebuild

Good list and with a couple of minor adjustments you can avoid serious breakages/or get back up and running quickly
Code:
eselect news read new
after emerge -p when notified of unread news items
and your choice of elogv or elogviewer after emerge (paying particular attention to the ewarns), also better to run depclean with -p first just to check.
Trog Dog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rottingdead wrote:

HEy, maybe you can help solve this error I'm having..

Code:

Failed to emerge net-zope/zope-interface-3.8.0, Log file:

I have the log file, but not sure how the Forums Mod had me pipe it to a site. I know how to pipe, by using >, but not to a site.

emerge wgetpaste then pipe the cat'd output to wgetpaste eg. cat log.file | wgetpaste
john.newman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also don't forget about etc-update .. very important to go slow and pay attention during that. I'm trying to figure out how to centralize patching, but given that each group of machines is different, i'm stuck on the need to manually review the output of emerge -p and etc-update on each group.

i trust depclean without -p. :)
rottingdead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john.newman wrote:
also don't forget about etc-update .. very important to go slow and pay attention during that. I'm trying to figure out how to centralize patching, but given that each group of machines is different, i'm stuck on the need to manually review the output of emerge -p and etc-update on each group.

i trust depclean without -p. :)

Just redone Gentoo, didn't feel like fussing with it.. I put ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" That was actually a bad idea, LOL..

I'm using Fluxbox, and the Keyboard Repeat stinks, anyway I can modify something to make it faster?
affirmedatheist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rottingdead wrote:
affirmedatheist wrote:

Yeah, I know what you mean, most of the people on Arch Linux Forums aren't very friendly at all, don't want to help any, never bother to help, I should say.

To be fair though, the Arch documentation is excellent, and a LOT of the answers *are* in there if you look. I have the Arch Wiki bookmarked for that reason.

That said, they *could* definitely be more helpful on the forums.
rottingdead
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

affirmedatheist wrote:
rottingdead wrote:
affirmedatheist wrote:

To be fair though, the Arch documentation is excellent, and a LOT of the answers *are* in there if you look. I have the Arch Wiki bookmarked for that reason.

That said, they *could* definitely be more helpful on the forums.

Yeah, I know, I referenced Arch Wiki on Fluxbox, and came across something on there, I didn't see in Gentoo Wiki, there's also something available, if one thing isn't, =).
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help you present like this
john.newman wrote:
emerge -uDNpv world
emerge -uDNv world
emerge --depclean
i did something wrong [still not sure what]
revdep-rebuild
mad2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, as my first post I'd like to say hello to everyone out here in the gentoo world.

rottingdead wrote:
affirmedatheist wrote:

And this is the exact reason I ended up here at gentoo, i literally uninstalled arch because of the people on the forums...not friendly at all. Im glad it happened though because so far gentoo rules!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: