View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
palmer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Xorg Cursor Changed Reply with quote

After my update yesterday, I noticed that my X cursor looked different.

I use the "Default Pointer" setting in GNOME's cursor settings dialog. Before the update, the default cursor showed up as blank in the settings dialog. After the update, the cursor showed up exactly the same as the "Adwaita" setting. It seems that removing the "default" symlink in "/usr/share/cursors/xorg-x11" makes the GNOME cursor settings dialog revert to its previous behavior.

I didn't see anything else on the forums about this, so I figured there should at least be a solution somewhere. I also don't know why this happened, just the workaround.
sebaro
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put the cursor theme in ~/.icons and then add "Xcursor.theme:mycursortheme" in ~/.Xdefaults.
CrazyCasta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebaro, can you be a little more specific? palmen's solution makes sense, I have no idea what you're suggesting.
palmer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I understand, he was suggesting that you can install a new cursor theme by placing it (where a cursor theme is a folder full of images that are named such that X understands them) in "~/.icons", and that you can then set that local theme by using "~/.Xdefaults".

This is somewhat orthogonal to what I was interested in which, as far as I now understand, is specifying no cursor theme. I used to specify no cursor theme by selecting "Default Pointer" in the GNOME settings dialog. One of the updates created the symlink "default" in "/usr/share/cursors/xorg-x11/", which seems to be what the GNOME settings dialog selects when you click "Default Pointer". The old behavior (having no cursor theme selected) is GNOME's fallback when the default cursor theme is selected without a default cursor theme existing.

Maybe that clears things up? Sorry, looking back on it I'm not sure that it's any better than before :( .
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. I found the new cursor theme pretty annoying (a sign of gnome-3 things to come?) and removing the default link restores the old one.
chaseguard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And every time we have x11-themes/gnome-themes-standard being updated it re-creates the symlink. Rather than repeating the deletion process, where do I find the xorg cursor icons to permanently fix this (as suggested elsewhere within this post)?

EDIT: I searched around and think that the standard X cursor is /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/cursor.pcf.gz. I placed it in ~.icons and created an ~.Xdefaults file, but this produced no happiness. I am not sure if gnome even lets X get to reading the Xdefault.

Until more experienced minds prevail, I will continue to delete the default symlink. If this becomes to burdensome I will write a script to do that and run it every start-up (/etc/local)
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ran into this. How annoying! If I wanted this kind of paternalistic nonsense, I would have been using Windows or Mac.
equaeghe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BitJam wrote:
I just ran into this. How annoying! If I wanted this kind of paternalistic nonsense, I would have been using Windows or Mac.

Filed bug
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: