Firewire drives and Gentoo GNU/Linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egreen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:54 am    Post subject: Firewire drives and Gentoo GNU/Linux Reply with quote

Okay, here's the deal. The hotplug system on Gentoo seems to not include the code that auto-detects firewire drives being plugged in and tells the SCSI subsystem about them. I went and fetched the current ieee1394.agent script out of the hotplug CVS and set it up with ieee1394/rescan-scsi-bus.sh and ieee1394/sbp2 according to the directions at the Linux Firewire site http://www.linux1394.org/ in their FAQ, and it seems to work fine, (this is all under /etc/hotplug BTW), but I wonder if it'd be desirable to upgrade Gentoo with these scripts?

Do note that under Linux 2.6 (or with a few patches to Linux 2.4 possibly even already included with Gentoo's stock kernel but I cannot use that kernel because the patches I need to apply to make some of my devices work will not apply to the Gentoo-patched kernel), sbp2 can be made to auto-register SCSI devices directly with the SCSI subsystem rather than go through the hotplug system. However, the scripts properly detect that the device has already been added, and do not try to add it again, so they will continue working even with the new kernel.

-Eric
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: