View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: [solved] sysvinit-2.88-r3 is blocking util-linux-2.20 Reply with quote

This caught my eye today:

Code:
[ebuild     U  ] sys-apps/util-linux-2.20 [2.19.1-r1] USE="cramfs crypt ncurses nls perl slang unicode -loop-aes -old-linux (-selinux) -static-libs% (-uclibc)" 4,507 kB
[ebuild     U  ] sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3 [2.88-r2] USE="(-ibm) (-selinux) -static" 104 kB
[blocks b      ] <sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3 ("<sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3" is blocking sys-apps/util-linux-2.20)

Is something bad happening?
Shouldn't it be described in some way in "gentoo news"?

Last edited by mbar on Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
29 Aug 2011; Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> +util-linux-2.20.ebuild,
util-linux-9999.ebuild:
Version bump which fixes #373381 by Chris Richards. Add USE=static-libs
support #378269 by Agostino Sarubbo. Sync changes between live git and stable
release ebuilds. Block older sysvinits since we now install the mountpoint
util ourselves.

block seems intendend.

cheers
OPelerin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone confirm unmerging sys-apps/sysvinit is harmless? I dont want to break my laptop.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unmerging it is a bad idea imho, if I'm not mistaken, this pkg is needed for boot.

just update to the latest unstable version.
Randy Andy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes guys,
it will definitely break your system!

So try other workarounds for that.

Regards, Andy.
claque2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy Andy wrote:
Yes guys,

Regards, Andy.

And what are those workarounds ? Because last sysvinit could not be installed because of last util-linux blocking, and last util-linux could not be installed because of last sysvinit blocking. So if there is some workaround, could you please tell us what they are ?

Regards,
Grimi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

claque2000 wrote:

And what are those workarounds ? Because last sysvinit could not be installed because of last util-linux blocking, and last util-linux could not be installed because of last sysvinit blocking. So if there is some workaround, could you please tell us what they are ?

There are no blocks anymore if you unmask sys-apps/util-linux.
In my case i guess i had to unmask sys-apps/sysvinit because of sys-apps/openrc.

I didn't updated my system yet, so I am still excited what is going to happen at the next reboot. 8)
claque2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimi wrote:
claque2000 wrote:

There are no blocks anymore if you unmask sys-apps/util-linux.
In my case i guess i had to unmask sys-apps/sysvinit because of sys-apps/openrc.

I didn't updated my system yet, so I am still excited what is going to happen at the next reboot. 8)

This is not a problem of masked packages. They are installed. It's just the update that can be not installed because of mutual blocking. Portage wants to install the latest ebuild available for each package.
It's the same when adding the necessary in package.keywords for util-linux.
Code:

apu sysvinit # emerge -uv util-linux
[ebuild     U *] sys-apps/util-linux-9999 [2.19.1-r1] USE="cramfs crypt ncurses nls perl unicode -loop-aes -old-linux (-selinux) -slang -static-libs% (-uclibc)" 0 kB
[blocks B      ] <sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3 ("<sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3" is blocking sys-apps/util-linux-9999)

Code:

apu sysvinit # emerge -uv sysvinit
[ebuild     U  ] sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3 [2.88-r2] USE="(-ibm) (-selinux) -static" 0 kB
[blocks B      ] <sys-apps/util-linux-2.20 ("<sys-apps/util-linux-2.20" is blocking sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3)

and the associated directory (sync of the portage tree done 2 minutes ago):
Code:

apu sysvinit # ls /usr/portage/sys-apps/sysvinit/
ChangeLog  Manifest  files  metadata.xml  sysvinit-2.87-r3.ebuild  sysvinit-2.88-r1.ebuild  sysvinit-2.88-r2.ebuild  sysvinit-2.88-r3.ebuild  sysvinit-2.88.ebuild
apu sysvinit # ls /usr/portage/sys-apps/util-linux 
ChangeLog  files         util-linux-2.17.2.ebuild   util-linux-2.19.1-r1.ebuild  util-linux-2.19.ebuild  util-linux-9999.ebuild
Manifest   metadata.xml  util-linux-2.18-r1.ebuild  util-linux-2.19.1.ebuild     util-linux-2.20.ebuild

So as you can see, this is not something related to mask.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually is does, go to /etc/portage/package.keywords and look for the util-linux entry, remove the * and thats it.
Grimi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a snippet of my updating today
Code:

[ebuild     U ~] sys-apps/util-linux-2.20 [2.19.1]
[ebuild     U ~] sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3 [2.88-r2]

There is no version 9999 which is something really bleeding edge I think (cvs, svn ...).
... going to reboot now ;-)
claque2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
actually is does, go to /etc/portage/package.keywords and look for the util-linux entry, remove the * and thats it.

Even without the entry in package.keywords, I end in the same blocking loop. It is what I said in my previous post : without or with entry in package.keywords, util-linux is blocked by sysvinit and sysvinit is blocked by util-linux
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

claque2000 wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:

Even without the entry in package.keywords, I end in the same blocking loop. It is what I said in my previous post : without or with entry in package.keywords, util-linux is blocked by sysvinit and sysvinit is blocked by util-linux

you need to distinguish what versions exactly, if sys-apps/util-linux-9999 <=> sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3, then you've updated package.keywords and maybe package.mask, sys-apps/util-linux-9999 is hardmasked, you need to add special entries to enable it's compilation, in this case, updating package.keywords or removing the entry from package.mask will solve it.

if sys-apps/util-linux-2.20 <=> sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3, you need to add both packages to package.keywords with the following format: <category/package>

this should solve this issue.
claque2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
claque2000 wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:

you need to distinguish what versions exactly, if sys-apps/util-linux-9999 <=> sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3, then you've updated package.keywords and maybe package.mask, sys-apps/util-linux-9999 is hardmasked, you need to add special entries to enable it's compilation, in this case, updating package.keywords or removing the entry from package.mask will solve it.

if sys-apps/util-linux-2.20 <=> sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3, you need to add both packages to package.keywords with the following format: <category/package>

this should solve this issue.

I have both 9999 and 2.20 conflict as I tried 9999 to see if there was any change like I wrote before.
For this time, I will stick to stable release and not the svn one.
I don't understand why do I have to add them in package.keywords because the latest version are already available for my system with the "~amd64" keywords.

And with this in packages.keywords, I end up in the same :
sys-apps/sysvinit* **
sys-apps/util-linux* **

or
sys-apps/sysvinit **
sys-apps/util-linux **

or
sys-apps/sysvinit
sys-apps/util-linux

it's the same.
I still don't understand why it should be a problem of keywords. Another time, portage want to install the latest version of the ebuilds available, available with the help of the "~amd64" keywords. Those are the latests versions available as you can see in the listing directory previously posted. So can you explain why it should be a problem of keywords in this mutual blocking of latest versions which are recognized by portage and that portage wants to install ? Because I only read "it's a problem of keywords" but without any clear reason.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

running a system in ~ is not recommended, use package.keywords instead.

in order for this to work (assuming you either use ~amd64 or have both sys-apps/sysvinit and sys-apps/util-linux in packages.keywords, notice that no * is in use), you must make sure that there are no such entries in package.unmask too.
claque2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:

in order for this to work (assuming you either use ~amd64 or have both sys-apps/sysvinit and sys-apps/util-linux in packages.keywords, notice that no * is in use), you must make sure that there are no such entries in package.unmask too.

I am running ~x86 or ~amd64 gentoo for multiple years (since 2003) and I never go in an issue like this.

There is nothing in package.unmask regarding those packages, and there is still the same problem of mutual blocking with the ~amd64 and correct entries in package.keywords.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

claque2000 wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:

I am running ~x86 or ~amd64 gentoo for multiple years (since 2003) and I never go in an issue like this.

There is nothing in package.unmask regarding those packages, and there is still the same problem of mutual blocking with the ~amd64 and correct entries in package.keywords.

what is the current block msg?
claque2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:

what is the current block msg?

This is what happen :
Code:

apu sysvinit # emerge -upv world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  NS    ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.0.4 [3.0.3] USE="-build -deblob -symlink" 127 kB
[ebuild     U  ] sys-apps/util-linux-2.20 [2.19.1-r1] USE="cramfs crypt ncurses nls perl unicode -loop-aes -old-linux (-selinux) -slang -static-libs% (-uclibc)" 4,507 kB
[blocks B      ] <sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3 ("<sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3" is blocking sys-apps/util-linux-2.20)

Total: 2 packages (1 upgrade, 1 in new slot), Size of downloads: 4,634 kB
Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r2::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
    >=sys-apps/sysvinit-2.86-r6 required by (virtual/init-0::gentoo, installed)

(sys-apps/util-linux-2.20::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by (x11-libs/libSM-1.2.0::gentoo, installed)
    sys-apps/util-linux required by @system
    >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by (sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41.14::gentoo, installed)
    >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by (sys-fs/udev-171-r1::gentoo, installed)
    >=sys-apps/util-linux-2.16 required by (sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.85::gentoo, installed)

and for sysvinit :
Code:

apu sysvinit # emerge -upv sysvinit

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     U  ] sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3 [2.88-r2] USE="(-ibm) (-selinux) -static" 0 kB
[blocks B      ] <sys-apps/util-linux-2.20 ("<sys-apps/util-linux-2.20" is blocking sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3)

Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 0 kB
Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
 * installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r3::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
    sysvinit
Randy Andy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

claque2000 wrote:
Randy Andy wrote:
Yes guys,

Regards, Andy.

Regards,

Hi Guys,
sorry for my slow response, cause it seemed to me now, that you believe i have the universal answer to that question.
Sorry, I have not. I only gave the statement i was sure for, cause i broke my system in doing exactly this!

It seems to me there is no general solution for anybody. It depends on your needs like loop-aes and so on...

In the meantime the case is solved on my system, but i can't tell exactly what was the solution cause i did two different things:
I build the util-linux-2.2.0 once with -loop-aes USE-Flag, which compiles well, but fails to install cause file collisions at first time.
I re synced the tree one day later, and did a -DuvaN system world update again.

After that, the case were solved for me on my ~amd64 system. :?
On my ~x86 system everything runs flawlessly instead.

Nevertheless, here are some more hints i found during my search for a solution:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=util-linux
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=381311

Much success, Andy.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now this is funny...
util-linux won't upgrade because sysvinit is too old and vice versa :), this is a bug in gentoo imho.

I think the only way to solve is by unmerge util-linux and then update sysvinitm this will pull util-linux in.

but wait for further confirmation on this before trying.
claque2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy Andy wrote:
claque2000 wrote:
Randy Andy wrote:
Yes guys,

Regards, Andy.

Regards,

Hi Guys,
sorry for my slow response, cause it seemed to me now, that you believe i have the universal answer to that question.
Sorry, I have not. I only gave the statement i was sure for, cause i broke my system in doing exactly this!

It seems to me there is no general solution for anybody. It depends on your needs like loop-aes and so on...

In the meantime the case is solved on my system, but i can't tell exactly what was the solution cause i did two different things:
I build the util-linux-2.2.0 once with -loop-aes USE-Flag, which compiles well, but fails to install cause file collisions at first time.
I re synced the tree one day later, and did a -DuvaN system world update again.

After that, the case were solved for me on my ~amd64 system. :?
On my ~x86 system everything runs flawlessly instead.

Nevertheless, here are some more hints i found during my search for a solution:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=util-linux
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=381311

Much success, Andy.

Thank's for your answer. I think it was a misunderstanding between us. I absolutly didn't think you have the universal answer. It's just that it seems that you have some intuition about workarounds. Sorry if my post seem agressive or something like that, it was not the case.
Randy Andy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ claque2000.
You're welcome.

DaggyStyle wrote:
now this is funny...
util-linux won't upgrade because sysvinit is too old and vice versa :), this is a bug in gentoo imho.

I think the only way to solve is by unmerge util-linux and then update sysvinitm this will pull util-linux in.

but wait for further confirmation on this before trying.

I can't recommend this idea of DaggyStyle.
I've tried it yesterday, but wasn't able to end this task.
Afair there were lots of broken packages and one of this was gcc. But without a well running gcc, i wasn't able to recompile gcc in my case.
So at the end i had to reboot, what must fail.
So this story ends with a broken system, i had to fix using my 1 day old backup :wink:

Starting over again, i tried a different way which works at the end.
Sadly i can't post my last emerge.log of the corrupted system, to tell you more, cause it's overridden by my restore.

Regards, Andy.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only 2 problematic packages which depends on sys-apps/util-linux are udev and lvm it the OP's case.
imho, there is not other alternative to fix this.

but I offer another way, run the livecd, mount the distro, chroot to it and remove sys-apps/util-linux.
update sys-apps/sysvinit which in turn should pull latest non svn sys-apps/util-linux in.
next, run revdep-rebuild, when it is done, reboot.

this should work and most probably won't break the OP's system.
castor_fou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hove no solution but a satisfying workaround for my case.

I have simply removed sys-apps/util-linux and sys-apps/sysvinit from package.keywords.
I used to add util-linux in keywords for hal and lvm, and sysvinit for baselayout2.
It seems it is now no longer needed, stable versions work beautifully.

I have now
Code:
sys-apps/util-linux-2.19.1
sys-apps/sysvinit-2.88-r1
claque2000
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
the only 2 problematic packages which depends on sys-apps/util-linux are udev and lvm it the OP's case.

but I offer another way, run the livecd, mount the distro, chroot to it and remove sys-apps/util-linux.
update sys-apps/sysvinit which in turn should pull latest non svn sys-apps/util-linux in.

I try your method and it works well. The only thing is that updating sysvinit doesn't put util-linux. You have to re-emerge util-linux after update of sysvinit. Nothing to notice concerning libs given by those packages in revdep-rebuild.

Thank a lot for your help.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

claque2000 wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:

I try your method and it works well. The only thing is that updating sysvinit doesn't put util-linux. You have to re-emerge util-linux after update of sysvinit. Nothing to notice concerning libs given by those packages in revdep-rebuild.

Thank a lot for your help.

strange, sys-apps/sysvinit depends on sys-apps/util-linux and should pull it in, nevermind, glad it worked for you, please mark this as solved.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: