Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to enable parenthesized use flags (in VIDEO_CARDS)?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iqtestsmeannothing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: How to enable parenthesized use flags (in VIDEO_CARDS)? Reply with quote

I am having trouble with some basic portage use, and didn't find useful information on google, etc.. I am upgrading xorg-server, the relevant lines are:

Code:
me@mycomputer:~$ sudo emerge -1 xorg-server libXxf86vm libXxf86dga
[ebuild     U  ]    x11-base/xorg-server-1.10.2 [1.5.3-r6] USE="nptl udev%* xorg -dmx -doc% -ipv6 -kdrive -minimal -static-libs% -tslib -xnest% -xvfb% (-3dfx%) (-debug%) (-hal%*) (-sdl%)" INPUT_DEVICES="(-acecad%) (-aiptek%) (-citron%) (-elographics%) (-evdev%*) (-fpit%) (-hyperpen%) (-joystick%) (-keyboard%*) (-mouse%*) (-mutouch%) (-penmount%) (-synaptics%) (-tslib%) (-virtualbox%) (-vmmouse%) (-void%) (-wacom%)" VIDEO_CARDS="(-apm%) (-ark%) (-ast%) (-chips%) (-cirrus%) (-dummy%) (-epson%) (-fbdev%*) (-geode%) (-glint%*) (-i128%) (-i740%) (-impact%) (-intel%*) (-mach64%*) (-mga%*) (-neomagic%*) (-newport%) (-nv%*) (-nvidia%) (-r128%*) (-radeon%*) (-radeonhd%) (-rendition%) (-s3%) (-s3virge%) (-savage%*) (-siliconmotion%) (-sis%*) (-sisusb%) (-sunbw2%) (-suncg14%) (-suncg3%) (-suncg6%) (-sunffb%) (-sunleo%) (-suntcx%) (-tdfx%*) (-tga%) (-trident%*) (-tseng%) (-v4l%) (-vesa%*) (-via%*) (-virtualbox%) (-vmware%*) (-voodoo%) (-xgi%)" 5,210 kB

I would like to enable several of the VIDEO_CARDS and INPUT_DEVICES flags (e.g., I put VIDEO_CARDS="intel" in /etc/make.conf); however it seems that the parenthesized ("masked"?) use flags cannot be enabled. If I understand correctly, a use flag is parenthesized to mean that it cannot be enabled in my profile. I had some trouble understanding out what a profile is, but eventually learned that to unmask a use flag masked in the default profile, I should create the file "/etc/portage/use.mask" with the contents:

Code:
-video_cards_intel
-input_devices_keyboard
-input_devices_mouse
-input_devices_evdev
-input_devices_synaptics

However, this didn't have any effect that I saw. Surely I am misunderstanding something very basic about portage? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
sudo eselect profile list

should tell what your current profile is. Also you can use eselect to select a more suitable profile.
rh1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your use.mask path is wrong. Should be /etc/portage/profile/use.mask
iqtestsmeannothing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. My available profiles are:

Code:

Available profile symlink targets:
  [1]   default/linux/x86/10.0 *
  [2]   default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop
  [3]   default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop/gnome
  [4]   default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop/kde
  [5]   default/linux/x86/10.0/developer
  [6]   default/linux/x86/10.0/server
  [7]   hardened/linux/x86
  [8]   hardened/linux/x86/selinux
  [9]   selinux/2007.0/x86
  [10]  selinux/2007.0/x86/hardened
  [11]  selinux/v2refpolicy/x86
  [12]  selinux/v2refpolicy/x86/desktop
  [13]  selinux/v2refpolicy/x86/developer
  [14]  selinux/v2refpolicy/x86/hardened
  [15]  selinux/v2refpolicy/x86/server

I tried profiles 1, 2, 5, 6, and 7, and put use.mask in the correct location; but running the emerge command gives the same output as before.

Would there be an explanation for why all of the flags in INPUT_DEVICES and VIDEO_CARDS have been disabled? I don't think that xorg is supposed to have keyboard, mouse, and video support removed on my system. On more thorough googling I did find one person from 2007 with the same problem with xorg, but no solution: http://help.lockergnome.com/linux/type-flags--ftopict418453.html
jburns
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The parenthesized USE flags are flags that are no longer used by x11-base/xorg-server. They are now handled by x11-base/xorg-drivers.
iqtestsmeannothing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so if I compile xorg-drivers with the desired flags, I can disregard these flags on xorg-server altogether? Thanks, I will do that.
Aquous
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. The % next to the flag means that flag has been changed since the last time you installed xorg-server, and the parentheses can indeed mean that the flag has been masked, but it can also mean (which is more likely due to it being coupled with the % sign) that the flag has been removed (because it's no longer necessary).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: