UK police ask citizens to report anarchists
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: UK police ask citizens to report anarchists Reply with quote

Quote:
Anarchists should be reported, advises Westminster anti-terror police

Islamist terrorists also mentioned in briefing, as anarchists complain of being criminalised for their beliefs

What should you do if you discover an anarchist living next door? Dust off your old Sex Pistols albums and hang out a black and red flag to make them feel at home? Invite them round to debate the merits of Peter Kropotkin's anarchist communism versus the individualist anarchism of Emile Armand? No – the answer, according to an official counter-terrorism notice circulated in London last week, is that you must report them to police immediately.

This was the surprising injunction from the Metropolitan Police issued to businesses and members of the public in Westminster last week. There was no warning about other political groups, but next to an image of the anarchist emblem, the City of Westminster police's "counter terrorist focus desk" called for anti-anarchist whistleblowers stating: "Anarchism is a political philosophy which considers the state undesirable, unnecessary, and harmful, and instead promotes a stateless society, or anarchy. Any information relating to anarchists should be reported to your local police."

The move angered some anarchists who complained that being an anarchist should not imply criminal behaviour. They said they feel unfairly criminalised for holding a set of political beliefs.

"It unfairly implies that anyone involved in anarchism should be known to the police and is involved in an dangerous activity," said Jason Sands, an anarchist from South London. "There is nothing inherently criminal about political philosophy whatever it is. The police work under the convention on human rights which disallows discrimination against people because of their political beliefs and even the request for information would seem to be in breach of that. It also seems to be a bit useless as a way of gathering intelligence. It isn't focused on anything specific and they are just asking for general information. Imagine calling up and saying 'there's an anarchist in my building. What should I do?' It doesn't make sense."

Sean Smith, external relations officer for Solfed, the British section of the anarcho-syndicalist International Workers' Association, said of the call for whistleblowers: "It's pretty absurd, but not surprising, when the state seeks to criminalise ideas it deems to be dangerous to its own survival".

"We are a revolutionary union initiative," he explained. "Members of our organisation believe in bringing about radical social change through workplace and community organising, not acts of terrorism. We have made extensive information about our ideas and strategy freely available online."

Small groups of anarchists masked and dressed in black did cause some damage to shop windows in central London during anti-cuts demonstrations in the Spring, but there has been little activity of late. The next big anarchist event in London appears hardly likely to concern the police. It is a book fair in October with "all-day cabaret starring assorted ranters, poets, singers and comics; all-day film showings and two kids' spaces".

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police state violating human rights. There is no other way to describe it.

First the BNP on that "do not employ" list and now this. INGSOC Rises!
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Anarchism is a political philosophy which considers the state undesirable, unnecessary, and harmful, and instead promotes a stateless society, or anarchy. Any information relating to anarchists should be reported to your local police."

It's like they don't even listen to themselves. "If you know someone who thinks we are dangerous and might target people who oppose us, be sure to report them to us immediately." Seriously?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
Quote:
"Anarchism is a political philosophy which considers the state undesirable, unnecessary, and harmful, and instead promotes a stateless society, or anarchy. Any information relating to anarchists should be reported to your local police."

It's like they don't even listen to themselves. "If you know someone who thinks we are dangerous and might target people who oppose us, be sure to report them to us immediately." Seriously?

Exactly, and it makes complete sense to them and to the 90% of the population who have been effectively indoctrinated. :lol:
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:

I'm pretty sure they mean the kind of anarchist who rebels against the rule of law by actively breaking the law, sometimes violently, endangering the lives of others, not your kind of passive-aggressive grade of anarchist who sulks and moans because they're obliged to follow rules made up by other people.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:
pitcrawler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Police state violating human rights. There is no other way to describe it.

First the BNP on that "do not employ" list and now this. INGSOC Rises!
Replace "should be reported to your local police." with "must be reported to your local police." and you'd be right. :P
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidanJT wrote:
I'm pretty sure they mean the kind of anarchist who rebels against the rule of law by actively breaking the law, sometimes violently, endangering the lives of others, not your kind of passive-aggressive grade of anarchist who sulks and moans because they're obliged to follow rules made up by other people.

Maybe but that would be covered simply by asking citizens to report criminal behavior. Instead they say, "Anarchism is a political philosophy which considers the state undesirable, unnecessary, and harmful, and instead promotes a stateless society, or anarchy. Any information relating to anarchists should be reported to your local police." There is nothing here about reporting criminal behavior. They are targeting political views.
juniper
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
AidanJT wrote:

Maybe but that would be covered simply by asking citizens to report criminal behavior. Instead they say, "Anarchism is a political philosophy which considers the state undesirable, unnecessary, and harmful, and instead promotes a stateless society, or anarchy. Any information relating to anarchists should be reported to your local police." There is nothing here about reporting criminal behavior. They are targeting political views.

well, apparently, thinking and reading about anarchist philosophy is criminal behaviour, so it should be reported. while we're at it, maybe we should round up the communists and jews.

hopefully someone will get in trouble for this.
McGruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

False alarm
pitcrawler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgruff wrote:
False alarm
Crisis averted.
Move along now. Nothing to see here.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juniper wrote:
dmitchell wrote:
AidanJT wrote:

well, apparently, thinking and reading about anarchist philosophy is criminal behaviour, so it should be reported. while we're at it, maybe we should round up the communists and jews.

... while the Obama Administration is rounding up military veterans, Ron Paul supporters, and conservative activists, and asking citizens to anonymously denounce their neighbors and co-workers, if they say anything "fishy" (i.e., which conflicts with the White House's propaganda version of reality).

You're not alone. And like the statement by your anti-terrorist outfit, our embarrassing outbursts of what our authorities really think were also retracted.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitcrawler wrote:
mcgruff wrote:
False alarm
Crisis averted.
Move along now. Nothing to see here.

Yeah, "we didn't mean for anybody to blurt out what we really think." :lol:

No problem.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmitchell wrote:
Well, there is precedent.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
cach0rr0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidanJT wrote:

yes, and the general public is certainly well-qualified for making this determination. such a clear, unambiguous edict, what's the worst that can happen?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the general public knows is that every time there are assholes out throwing bottles and setting fire to things, the BBC calls them "anarchists".
tylerwylie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
All the general public knows is that every time there are assholes out throwing bottles and setting fire to things, the BBC calls them "anarchists".
And they're usually protesting cuts to government.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know one but he is not English. Besides he's harmless, lives in a fantasy world.
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
juniper wrote:
dmitchell wrote:
AidanJT wrote:

... while the Obama Administration is rounding up military veterans, Ron Paul supporters, and conservative activists, and asking citizens to anonymously denounce their neighbors and co-workers, if they say anything "fishy" (i.e., which conflicts with the White House's propaganda version of reality).
ahl
You're not alone. And like the statement by your anti-terrorist outfit, our embarrassing outbursts of what our authorities really think were also retracted.

Ohblahblahblah

oh im sorry that discussing the police state of the UK got in the way of OTW (Oblah twittering wishwash)
A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny. Where men have the habit of liberty, the Press will continue to be the vigilant guardian of the rights of the ordinary citizen.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Ohblahblahblah

oh im sorry that discussing the police state of the UK got in the way of OTW (Oblah twittering wishwash)
Usually its just Oblabla or Oblahblah. But you went with three blahs. Interesting.

Oh Blah blah blah seems to match Oh Ca na da.

Why do you hate Canadians?

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

Oh, I'm sorry if sympathizing with your problem got in the way of you defending your increasingly Orwellian society.
PanzerKanzler
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Belgravia holds the highest concentration of "anarchists" in all of London.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: