View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I like OTW is the diversity of opinion. Unlike some that have posted here, I'm secure enough in my world view that diverse opinion doesn't threaten me.

But then again, if someone has a different opinion, I don't call them a racist or redneck, which seems to be the modus operandi of some.

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
The reason I like OTW is the diversity of opinion. Unlike some that have posted here, I'm secure enough in my world view that diverse opinion doesn't threaten me.

But then again, if someone has a different opinion, I don't call them a racist or redneck, which seems to be the modus operandi of some.

Diversity of opinion is great and that is what keeps discussions interesting
HOWEVER diversity in topics is also a good thing.

If 50% of topics (and you have to admit when Obama opens his mouth there is a shittonne of Oblahblahblah threads in OTW) are on the same topic then all that happens is the opinions of people start to polarise to one side or another (and other ppl just leave the forums - casepoint cokehabit as the forums topic diversity and polarisation coagulate ) is just on the actions of one person from one party in one country not much diversity can occur.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh look 3 threads about specifically obama filled with oblahblahblah stated within 4 hours of each other
and people say this isn't an issue?
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Oh look 3 threads about specifically obama filled with oblahblahblah stated within 4 hours of each other

I don't remember you complaining about Bush topics back in the day. Selective outrage is rather... selective, no?
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Earth wrote:
Naib wrote:

I don't remember you complaining about Bush topics back in the day. Selective outrage is rather... selective, no?

like I said earlier the concentration of bush threads was no where near the level of oblah. go check, I have
its not the pure existance of such threads that is the problem, it is the volume & the derailment of other threads to this one topic that is
please keep up with this topic
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
The Earth wrote:
Naib wrote:

like I said earlier the concentration of bush threads was no where near the level of oblah. go check, I have
its not the pure existance of such threads that is the problem, it is the volume & the derailment of other threads to this one topic that is
please keep up with this topic

In other words, please keep up with the narrative you wish to use. As has been stated time and time again, if you want to talk about anything, make a thread. Nobody is stopping you from making threads about subjects you want to talk about.
charly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:

if there was a sub forum OTW would be just as diverse as it is now. We're not talking about removing the posts, just putting them in an OTW sub forum where people can discuss them to their hearts content.

It works both ways, for instance, if I have some political thing I want to discuss then I go there and post it and get replies from the people that also want to discuss politics, I dont get some 4chan guy saying that "boxxy would like it with Obama's brotha".

It would also stop people from getting banned because people in a bad mood would know where to stay out of.
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charly wrote:
Old School wrote:

if there was a sub forum OTW would be just as diverse as it is now. We're not talking about removing the posts, just putting them in an OTW sub forum where people can discuss them to their hearts content.

It works both ways, for instance, if I have some political thing I want to discuss then I go there and post it and get replies from the people that also want to discuss politics, I dont get some 4chan guy saying that "boxxy would like it with Obama's brotha".

It would also stop people from getting banned because people in a bad mood would know where to stay out of.

Joined: 05 Apr 2011 <--- you might want to contribute to the actual forums (and not just threads like this) before you start whining about them.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Earth wrote:
Joined: 05 Apr 2011 <--- you might want to contribute to the actual forums (and not just threads like this) before you start whining about them.

There are people other than charly who are "whining" ;)
charly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Earth wrote:
charly wrote:
Old School wrote:

Hmmmm
July 2005
May 2004

More than just 2011 I see
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must admit that it is a little illogical to join a forum, then immediately criticize the content. If the content was objectionable, why join in the first place?

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
charly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
You must admit that it is a little illogical to join a forum, then immediately criticize the content. If the content was objectionable, why join in the first place?
Not all the content, just the constant stream of crap that seems to be akin to chucking abuse at Obama and the Democrats.
Iraq? Obamas fault.
The recession? Obamas fault.
The holocaust? Obamas fault.

Just have it in a sub-forum and it can carry on as much as you like
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum is Obama's fault, too.

- John
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as an example:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-888138.html
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another example
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6772046.html#6772046
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about making an "Obama Sucks" thread sticky? That way, BoneKracker can dump things in there, instead of starting two Obummer threads within five minutes of each other. When a new President gets elected, create a sticky for them, e.g. "Palin Sucks."

George Orwell
zixnub
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
How about making an "Obama Sucks" thread sticky? That way, BoneKracker can dump things in there, instead of starting two Obummer threads within five minutes of each other. When a new President gets elected, create a sticky for them, e.g. "Palin Sucks."

Why not force tag political threads so people can filter them out with a script?
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zixnub wrote:
Old School wrote:

Why not force tag political threads so people can filter them out with a script?

Because, in the end, all things human are political. :wink:

George Orwell
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: