View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HenryPeters
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Possible to mount disks from LiveDVD? Reply with quote

I have been having some serious problems with my Debian Squeeze 6.0 install, namely with gdm/gdm3 configure failures (& possibly other matters. I do dual boot w/ Windows XP), want to (try) to go to Gentoo... Need to retrieve some of my critical files I have not yet backed up from Debian... (relatively fresh install), though I have been able to get into my Deb. system using 'startx' (nor have I been able to figure out how to do necessary repairs to gdm) the files I need are not accessible to me there. So my question is:

Can I, from the LiveDVD, v. 11, mount my various /dev's to be able to transfer files (one is ntfs & the Deb. one is EXT3). I tried, but when I get the "authorization" window, the root password 'sudo su -' will not work. Perhaps it's not possible... but it sure could be a life saver if it were.

& in the line of general comment, I also tried booting from the second hard disk option (the one my linux install is on), from the Gentoo LiveDVD, & all it did was ':roll:' at me!

Thanks a bunch.

Henry
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenryPeters,

Welcome to Gentoo.

I'm not sure if the liveCDVD has ntfs-3g or not but you can do everything else you want.
Code:
sudo su -
is not the root password.
Thats the command to become root in a console window. No password is needed

Open a terminal from the Favourites menu.
Give the
Code:
sudo su -
command, The prompt will change to red to show you are root.
Give the
Code:
passwd
command to set the root password.
Now you know the root password (you just set it) you can use it in the GUI tools.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
HenryPeters
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Give the
Code:
passwd
command to set the root password.
Now you know the root password (you just set it) you can use it in the GUI tools.

Hi Neddy,

Thanks so much for reply! I will give this a try.

Henry
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged some posts above

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
HenryPeters
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Posted Sat Apr 16, 2011 Post subject: Possible SOLVED Reply with quote

nixnut wrote:
merged some posts above

Please add [solved] to the initial post's subject line if you feel your problem is resolved. Help answer the unanswered

Thanks I will. But I was not able to resolve my problem through the Gentoo LiveDVD... (I could not get my home folder to show). I remembered (& updated) a live boot CD called "Parted Magic," which did the "trick." Now on my way to (try & get) Gentoo. Won't be a quick change over, I'm sure, but it looks to be an interesting challange. Hopefully good for audio production work.

Thanks for helps.

Henry
Jon Wilder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Live DVD won't connect to internet Reply with quote

Hello. I'm test driving the Live DVD and I cannot get on the internet. This machine has a RealTek 8139, which I manually load the correct module for. Net-setup goes fine. When running ifconfig the card pulls a valid IP address. Also if I ping the gentoo site from the CLI I'm getting returns within 150mS and 0% packet loss. However, when I pull up a browser and try to get onto an actual website it will not connect.

Any ideas on this one?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Wilder,

Merged your post here as it will get more attention.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Live DVD won't connect to internet Reply with quote

Jon Wilder wrote:
Hello. I'm test driving the Live DVD and I cannot get on the internet. This machine has a RealTek 8139, which I manually load the correct module for. Net-setup goes fine. When running ifconfig the card pulls a valid IP address. Also if I ping the gentoo site from the CLI I'm getting returns within 150mS and 0% packet loss. However, when I pull up a browser and try to get onto an actual website it will not connect.

Any ideas on this one?

What browser is not showing you a connection? Have you tried another browser perhaps? I know for sure that both Konqueror and Firefox worked just fine. Try clicking on the 'Forums' Icon on the desktop and see if firefox brings up the page.
Jon Wilder
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Live DVD won't connect to internet Reply with quote

likewhoa wrote:

What browser is not showing you a connection? Have you tried another browser perhaps? I know for sure that both Konqueror and Firefox worked just fine. Try clicking on the 'Forums' Icon on the desktop and see if firefox brings up the page.

I'm not near that machine at the moment but it was Konqueror. Didn't try another browser. Kinda surprised they didn't include Firefox on the Live DVD.
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Live DVD won't connect to internet Reply with quote

Jon Wilder wrote:
likewhoa wrote:

I'm not near that machine at the moment but it was Konqueror. Didn't try another browser. Kinda surprised they didn't include Firefox on the Live DVD.

Firefox is included but it's not called firefox but nakomora which is the codename since We can't use and distribute the firefox name.
ccosse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

The link likewhoa provided is for the 10.0 and 10.1 DVDs, For 11.0 this is the work in progress.

Hello NeddySeagoon,
I was following those instructions last night because I want a fast-track install to get a full liveDVD-like environment (on a Sony Vaio) ... but when I got to the untarring of the .tbz2 pkgs made they all began to hang, starting with python2.7 package (it gets to one of the encoding files and hangs at same place every time) ... likewise with several other of the tarred-up package files made using quickpkg as per your directions. So, had to goto work this morning so couldn't finish exhaustive troubleshooting, but in the meantime (i.e. @ work) i'm asking about this since i can't think what's going on ... I guess i'll locate those directories on the liveDVD and copy them to /mnt/gentoo manually without the tarring-up steps ... but does this sound like any problem commonly encountered? Thanks,
Charles
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccosse,

Can you email me one of the files that fails to untar?
If I can untar it, it shows that the tar step is the problem

I 've not seen hangs before. You could add the v option to the tar command that unpacks files. That will list files as they are unpacked.
It slows things down a lot, which is why its not in the instructions.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
ccosse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

Okay ... in about 1 hr from now i'll run home and boot-up and get one of the files ...

Quote:

I tried to untar the python3.* pkg made by quickpkg and it hung while extracting one of the encoding files ...

Also I tried to quickpkg+untar a file here at work with similar results ... i.e. the untar aborted with errors similar to https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=185305 but I don't think errors described in this thread are the same as getting at home ... so i'll email/upload something asap ...

Thank you!!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccosse,

I last tested with livedvd-amd64-multilib-11.1-r3.iso

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
ccosse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy,

well here i am at home and just manually rebuilt a couple pkgs ... namely the pythons 2&3 ... and now they work.

BTW, before i forget ... it is necessary to emerge portage-utils in order to have qlist available ... (not in the directions)

Anyway, the only irregular output now are lines like this:
bzip2: (stdin): trailing garbage after EOF ignored

which seems to happen about every pkg ... but it's not a show-stopper ...

So now my luch hour is over and back2work ... I'll have to pick this up tonight and will try again by manually building the pkgs that don't work via quickpkg ...

Thank you!!
Charles
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccosse,

emerge portage-utils in order to have qlist available ... is only needed with older liveDVDs. Its been added to the last one I tested with.

Code:
bzip2: (stdin): trailing garbage after EOF ignored
is ok. Packages made with quickpkg have extra portage specific data at the end which bzip2 neither expects nor understands.

Later, when you use emerge -K to unpack the quickpkg files, portage will take care of its own extra data.
At the very beginning, you can't use emerge -K as the files that emerge needs are not there.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
ccosse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy,

The liveDVD that i downloaded yesterday (livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-11.0.iso) required portage-utils to be emerged ... not sure if that's different than the one you refered to, but sounds like yesterdays is the most current. But anyway ...

I'll likely be back with more questions towards the end ... until then,

Thanks again,
Charles
ccosse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

Neddy, I sent you the ncurses package ... it was hanging on the unzip:
Code:

Gentoo-11 ~ # tar -tf sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r7.tbz2

usr/share/doc/ncurses-5.7-r7/TO-DO.bz2
usr/share/doc/ncurses-5.7-r7/hackguide.doc.bz2
usr/share/doc/ncurses-5.7-r7/ncurses-intro.doc.bz2
^C
 *Control-C or similar caught [sig=2], quitting...

I rebuilt it several times and always the same result with this package. I'm 99% sure that I had problems with python-3 earlier and now it builds and unzips alright ... but this ncurses package (and many more, i'm afraid) don't unzip correctly.

Also, w.r.t. the instructions, i have a couple feedback items if you're interested:
1) libstdc++ wasn't known unto ld so bzip2 would fail in the chroot environment ... i edited /etc/ld.so.conf and ran ldconfig;ldconfig -v and it's there now and bzip2 works
2) the instructions for pointing bzip2 -> pbzip2 were in the context of the dvd environment, and should have been inside chroot environment as well (only?)
3) i did still have to emerge portage-utils to get qlist ... my iso's uname output is:
Code:

Gentoo-11 ~ # uname -a
Linux Gentoo-11 2.6.37-gentoo-r1 #1 SMP Sun Mar 6 10:04:39 UTC 2011 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Thanks for your help!
ccosse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another follow-up: I deleted sys-libs/ncurses* from the packages/ directory and re-ran the emerge @system ... other packages seem to be unzipping alright so far ... just hung-up on that (2nd in the list) ncurses pkg. Maybe it'll make it through ... will let you know. Thanks

EDIT:
The packages which would not unzip so far ...
sys-libs/ncurses-5.7-r7.tbz2
kde-base/oxygen-icons-4.6.0.tbz2
sys-libs/db-4.8.30.tbz2
sys-libs/db-4.5.20_p2-r1
ccosse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay i found the problem: it was the use of pbzip2 in place of bzip2. when i rebuild using the real bzip2 it unzips. in fact that means it was using pbzip2 to zip during the quickpkg ... so that was the problem with the corrupted bz2 packages. (i also uploaded to another gentoo machine and un-bzipped one of the problem files there w/no problems .... so that means that it was just in the unzipping using pbzip2 that was the problem.)

EDIT: Also the version of tar in the chroot environment is a problem. I had to emerge tar on the liveDVD-side to get a correctly working version (even though it was a rebuild) ... but in the chroot environment it is difficult to get working ... various difficulties trying to emerge tar in chroot env ... cannot just copy over from dvd-side because it dynamically links to some libs ... but is necessary to get a new working version in chroot side b/c need to emerge @system from within chroot env. so ... what to do?

I've got the min-install disk standing bye but don't want to use it
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccosse,

Stop using pbzip2 at all. Its supposed to be compatible with bzip2 but there are clearly issues.
pbzip2 is a multi threading bzip2, the idea is to speed things up on multi core systems as the binary install, following my guide spends most of its time in bzip2, either with quickpkg or emerge -K

There was no file attached to your email but that probably doesn't matter now.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
ccosse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neddy,

Yeah, i stopped using pbzip2 alright ... i think there are also issues with tar and bzip2, in fact ... but all the back-and-forth has left me a bit uncertain as to exactly what's wrong and where.

I do know that when I emerge tar and bzip2 in the dvd environment, then quickpkg makes, and bzip2 unzips the pkgs alright. The trick now for me will be to emerge both tar and bzip2 in the dvd environment *before* copying over all the dirs to the chroot environment. Then updating the ld.so.conf in the chroot to find libstdc++.so and proceeding with the emerge -K @system. I think that'll get me to the next step ... at which I'll probably be asking for more help! Anyway, thanks for checking-up on this thread ... ttyl!

Charles
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccosse,

What you you mean by
cosse wrote:
*before* copying over all the dirs to the chroot environment

If you quickpkg and tar x the files in the list, that should be enough to get you going.
You will need to make the dirs the guide lists too.

I've tested by installing in a Virtual Box VM down as far as the warning in the guide but then its all handbook stuff anyway.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups

Last edited by NeddySeagoon on Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
ccosse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy,
What I was thinking was that since I'm finding it necessary to use a newly emerged versions of tar and bzip2, then I should emerge those first, then quickpkg them, then expand the newly-emerged tbz2 files to /mnt/gentoo, i.e. via
Code:

tar xpf app-arch/bzip2-1.05-r1.tbz2 -C /mnt/gentoo
tar xpf app-arch/tar-1.20.tbz2  -C /mnt/gentoo

... and probably quickpkg all those packages in Code Listing 5.2 only after having re-emerged tar and bzip2 ... so the ld-dependencies match-up in the chroot environment ... I think that was my final problem that I have yet to do correctly ...

Does that all sound good?

Thanks!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccosse,

I am worried by the need that you seem to have for more recent versions of anything provided by the liveCD.
Its more worrying that there are actually newer versions to be had.

The liveDVD is entirely self consistent. If you do
Code:
emerge @world -uDNav
there should be nothing to do as it will check against its own portage tree, which is a snapshot of the tree used to build the liveDVD.

If you have used emerge --sync, or fetched a current tarball then all bets are off as emerge -K will not find the versions of packages it expects to find, since there will be no binary packages for things changed in the tree since the DVD was made.
You must use the /usr/portage on the DVD to drive quickpkg and its tar/bzip2 should justwork(tm)

This gets you an out of date Gentoo install of course - but thats the price of installing binaries from the liveDVD.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: