Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
opera 11.10 and no flash? (other browsers fine though)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpoint
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I updated to Opera 11.11 today and 64-bit flash is still broken.
uraes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

downgraded back to www-client/opera-11.01.1190 and works like charm
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i am bit by this bug with 11.11. This post might help you all who are using 32bit flash plugin:
http://my.opera.com/ruario/blog/problems-with-nspluginwrapper-and-flash-on-64bit

EDIT: The gist of the above URL is that opera has its own wrapper and one should not be using nspluginwrapper with 32bit flash. The workaround is to copy libflashplayer.so from the 32 bit plugin to ~/.opera/plugins folder and add this folder to the plugin path in opera. Then disable the 64bit system-wide installation of the flash plugin from inside the opera browser,- type opera:plugins in the URL bar and disable the one which points to /usr/lib64/nsbrowser/plugins.
b1c1l1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commented out the npwrapper.libflashplayer.so exclusion in /usr/share/opera/defaults/plugin-ignore.ini and now Flash is working again for me in Opera 11.11.

Code:
blee@nsx ~ $ cat /usr/share/opera/defaults/plugin-ignore.ini
[Plugins to Ignore]
;npwrapper.libflashplayer.so = Points to a NSPluginWrapped Flash Plugin
tbart
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

commented out the npwrapper.libflashplayer.so exclusion works for a few seconds, then it crashes here..
copying libflashplayer.so to ~/.opera/plugins and enabling only this dir in opera does not work
opera -debugplugin shows nothing of interest.

Same situation on 11.11 and 11.50

It worked flawlessly with flash 10.2 till the upgrade today to 10.3
Reverting to 10.2 however does not solve the problem.

I am somewhat at a loss now.
Also tried flash square, does not work.
I am on amd64 multilib, opera is 64bit of course.
Flash ind firefox works but this browser simply sucks, I have already installed half a dozen of plugins so it at least reacts somewhat like opera but it still does not feel right..

Anyone here still not having a solution with the steps mentioned?
cz0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have _exactly_ same opera/adobe-flash/nspluginwrapper versions on my work machine with Flash working fine and non working at home. Seems that trouble isn't in opera/adobe-flash/nspluginwrapper, but something else. My working machine is outdated (except this 3 packages I updated just to test).
cz0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And y-y-yes, after a couple of hours of trying to trace this little prankster I caught it, seems that this is:
Code:

x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-270.41.06

Downgrade to 260.19.44 made Flash work again and upgrade to current gives black squares.
That should solve the problem:
Code:

echo "=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-270.41.06" > /etc/portage/package.mask/nvidia-drivers
emerge nvidia-drivers
modprobe -r nvidia
MajinJoko
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cz0 wrote:
And y-y-yes, after a couple of hours of trying to trace this little prankster I caught it, seems that this is:
Code:

x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-270.41.06

Downgrade to 260.19.44 made Flash work again and upgrade to current gives black squares.
That should solve the problem:
Code:

echo "=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-270.41.06" > /etc/portage/package.mask/nvidia-drivers
emerge nvidia-drivers
modprobe -r nvidia

Thank you. Since this morning, when I upgrade my nvidia-drivers, I get a black box instead of flash in opera. Upgrading Opera didn't solve.
Downgrading nvidia-drivers did the trick.

I'm on a x86 stable gentoo.
cz0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MajinJoko wrote:

I'm on a x86 stable gentoo.

I'm a x86_64. Seems that this doesn't make much difference. Make sure not to mask everything grater than 260.19.44, that can be fixed soon.
barca
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thank you cz0 :) In my case, I had to mask

Code:
=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-260.19.44
=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-270.41.06

and flash works again on Opera with x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-260.19.36
CrazyTerabyte
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you guys should post your discoveries at the bug report: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=363387
cz0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barca wrote:
Yeah, thank you cz0 :) In my case, I had to mask

Code:
=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-260.19.44
=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-270.41.06

and flash works again on Opera with x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-260.19.36

260.19.44 do grate for me. Are you sure you kicked out all of nvidia kernel modules prior starting X? Get upgraded to 260.19.44, stop X, than rmmod or modprobe -r nvidia (your kernel should support module removing) and than start X again.
barca
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, cz0, I reloaded module nvidia just as you said.
bloedie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I downgrade to =x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-260.19.44 and flash
works in opera.

Strange.

Cu.
Bloedie
darklegion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try upgrading to the nvidia-drivers-275.09.04 beta, which is the only thing that works for me. However, this beta has its own issues with "Inconsistency detected by ld.so" warnings/errors. Although the only serious issue it seems to be causing is GTK not compiling.

On the plus side, it's about 5-10% faster with games under wine.
cz0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it's nvidia-drivers or adobe-flash issue?
darklegion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cz0 wrote:

Could be a nvidia issue. Another issue I've been having lately is video tearing, especially in full screen flash videos. This didn't occur in the past. This is with all SyncToVBlank options enabled in nvidia-settings enabled . Tried nvidia-drivers-270.41.06 and 275.09.04, and 10.2 and 10.3 flash versions.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darklegion wrote:
cz0 wrote:

Could be a nvidia issue. Another issue I've been having lately is video tearing, especially in full screen flash videos. This didn't occur in the past. This is with all SyncToVBlank options enabled in nvidia-settings enabled . Tried nvidia-drivers-270.41.06 and 275.09.04, and 10.2 and 10.3 flash versions.
If you are not getting tearing in other video players, but only in flash then it looks more like a flash issue rather than nvidia.

You might also be interested in the following post:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2440383&postcount=46

Newer nvidia drivers might have implemented workarounds for erratic flash behaviour but that doesn't mean that the older nvidia drivers are at fault.
darklegion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
If you are not getting tearing in other video players, but only in flash then it looks more like a flash issue rather than nvidia.

Yeah, it actually occurs with WebM video as well. I had thought it was flash specific because there is no tearing with mplayer.
darklegion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried compiz and no more tearing. I guess this suggests that Vsync only works with XV and Opengl (which makes sense) and that Flash and WebM don't use either. I don't want to run compiz, however. I might just setup a seperate X server just for flash videos. Pretty annoying, though. Flash could just use an opengl backend itself and there would be no issue. I know there is a vdpau backend but I don't believe it helps with this issue (and it's unstable).

Anyway since this is a bit off topic I'll leave it at that.
krigstask
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who experience that issue, please report here:
http://my.opera.com/ruario/blog/2011/06/29/i-need-feedback-from-gentoo-and-sabayon-users

Ruarí is Opera employee and he's collecting feedback since issue is quite weird and Gentoo-specific. If you have Flash working, but care for others, please report too.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hint, reported/answered.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been meddling around with eww-flash quite a lot lately, and it is just sad. No, beyond sad indeed.

Other than the usual tearing, amazingly sluggish play-back (while in Firefox it plays smoothly), mouse clicks not being recognised (usually holding down the button for longer than a click works), I even got it to go into a segmentation fault spree.

For a few days, I couldn't figure what it was and I couldn't even try the older 32bit or 64bit plugin since they seem to be removed by adobe? Eventually, I remembered I had downgraded nvidia-drivers recently from 275.09.07 (non-stable for the being) to 270.41.06 (stable). So, today I tried to go back to 275.09.07 and flash no longer goes segfault for Opera.
If I do remember correctly, though, I did try these drivers before, and older, but did not observe such behaviour. Possibly a combination of things that I had changed during the time, can't really remember it all now...

Using xorg-server-1.10.2 now, and not long ago it was still 1.9~ that was the stable one.

One of the reasons for downgrading the drivers was that I tried to see if a certain glitch would still occur. I am talking about a phenomena whereas I have a flash-video playing in one tab for example, in Opera, and then I have another tab active. During this, more and less pixels from the flash-video show "through" to the other tab!
And what's more, if I then proceed to move Opera (the whole browser application window), the flash-video stays where it is! Only if I activate the tab where the video is, it will update the location.

Oh, I say, pretty funky stuff!

Not sure if it's related to anything like this, but I also have been rather suddenly unable to use hotmail (web-mail interface). None of the mouse-clicks are doing anything, except for certain parts of it such as logging out (yay). I know it's not exactly a new issue with Opera and hotmail (even under windoze), but it's just like that now with Firefox for me too.
Wish I never started using that "place" in the first place.

I really wish people didn't use 'flash' as much as they do. :/
darklegion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:

For a few days, I couldn't figure what it was and I couldn't even try the older 32bit or 64bit plugin since they seem to be removed by adobe? Eventually, I remembered I had downgraded nvidia-drivers recently from 275.09.07 (non-stable for the being) to 270.41.06 (stable). So, today I tried to go back to 275.09.07 and flash no longer goes segfault for Opera.
If I do remember correctly, though, I did try these drivers before, and older, but did not observe such behaviour. Possibly a combination of things that I had changed during the time, can't really remember it all now...

I had the same issue, and it appears to be an interaction between new versions of Opera, new versions of Flash, and the (slightly older) nvidia-drivers version.

Chiitoo wrote:

One of the reasons for downgrading the drivers was that I tried to see if a certain glitch would still occur. I am talking about a phenomena whereas I have a flash-video playing in one tab for example, in Opera, and then I have another tab active. During this, more and less pixels from the flash-video show "through" to the other tab!
And what's more, if I then proceed to move Opera (the whole browser application window), the flash-video stays where it is! Only if I activate the tab where the video is, it will update the location.

To fix this you need to disable hardware acceleration. Right click on an opened flash video, select settings, then uncheck "Enable Hardware Acceleration".
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darklegion wrote:
Chiitoo wrote:

To fix this you need to disable hardware acceleration. Right click on an opened flash video, select settings, then uncheck "Enable Hardware Acceleration".

Aha, it's related to that!
Interesting, truly. I haven't quite seen it happen now again, as far as I remember... Thank you for pointing that out, it will be very helpful indeed! \ö/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: