in bootstrap, second "emerge gcc" fails with penti
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xavier.allamigeon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: in bootstrap, second "emerge gcc" fails with penti Reply with quote

All is in the title. The compilation fails at "libiberty". I have seen this error with athlon or duron but not with a P4. My flags:
CFLAG="-march=i686 -O3 -pipe -mmmx -msse -fforce-addr -fforce-mem -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAG="-march=i686 -O3 -pipe -mmmx -msse -fforce-addr -fforce-mem -fomit-frame-pointer"
On my opinion, there's a problem with the USE settings : on first "emerge gcc" in the bootstrap, I have USE="boostrap build" and it works. Anyone have bootstraped with a P4 ?
ialtywu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: in bootstrap, second "emerge gcc" fails with p Reply with quote

xavier.allamigeon wrote:
All is in the title. The compilation fails at "libiberty". I have seen this error with athlon or duron but not with a P4. My flags:
CFLAG="-march=i686 -O3 -pipe -mmmx -msse -fforce-addr -fforce-mem -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAG="-march=i686 -O3 -pipe -mmmx -msse -fforce-addr -fforce-mem -fomit-frame-pointer"
On my opinion, there's a problem with the USE settings : on first "emerge gcc" in the bootstrap, I have USE="boostrap build" and it works. Anyone have bootstraped with a P4 ?

I think that GCC is choking on its own opts. I have sucessfully bootstrapped and emerged system on two machines so far . . .

#1 inside VMWare under Win2k on a dell PIII 650 mhz laptop 192mb decicated to VM --more than 10 hrs compile time (of course I was doing other stuff while VMWare was running, so might have taken less time if I had left it alone)

#2 'native' on a 850 mhz Athlon system w/256 mb RAM (about 4 hours ct)

Both systems were booted from a 1.3a ISO, and built from a 1.4_beta tarball. I used the default i686-exclusive opt flags (march=i686, etc.)

I used the same opts on the Athlon, because of the problems I noticed others were having using the athlon specific flags.

Both systems completed without a hitch. I am now going to build a native system on my laptop. I only use the VMWare for R&D testing.

If anyone really wants to get a '1.4/3.2' system before the official release, I would recommend using the standard flags until someone comes up with a fix for the Athlon bugs.

BTW, even without athlon specific opts this GCC 3.2 system is wicked fast!
gfunkmonk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing is happening to me on a P3, I tried upgrading a current install from gcc3.2_pre to 3.2 and everything was broken, so i started over, and now when bootstrapping tried to compile gcc the second time, I get the same error..
ialtywu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: in bootstrap, second "emerge gcc" fails with p Reply with quote

ialtywu wrote:
#2 'native' on a 850 mhz Athlon system w/256 mb RAM (about 4 hours ct)

My clock must have been skewed (not the computer's -- mine)

I think now that it was closer to 5-5 1/2 hrs . . . just to be honest.

My PIII 650 laptop has taken 3.25 hrs to bootstrap. I am starting the system build now, but will not be around to time it. I am going to get some sleep. I have been gentoo-ing since 8 am yesterday and I need a nap! No wonder my clock is skewed!
Ard Righ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bootstrapped with no problems so far on my Pentium 4 machine, using 1.4 beta and GCC 3.2 release. I booted from a 1.3a iso and ran the 1.4 beta stage1 file.

I finished bootstrap and completed emerge gnome without any problems.
I had the following CFLAGS + CXXFLAGS options:

Quote:
-march=pentium4 -mmmx -msse -msse2 -mfpmath=sse -O3 -pipe

Now I just need to figure out why grub wont dual-boot Gentoo and Win2k :(
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GCC3 to Installing Gentoo. Bootstrap is an installation issue.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: