Building a Gentoo 1.3b server
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sivar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 12:31 am    Post subject: Building a Gentoo 1.3b server Reply with quote

Yes I know it's insane, but this isn't an important server. If it goes down, oh well, it can be down long enough to fix it.

Anyway, are there any really obvious problems that will be a show-stopper for a server?
Do any of these have any known GCC3 problems:
- ProFTPd
- Apache (1.3 and 2.0)
- SSHd
- Samba
- djbdns
- Courier IMAP

Also are there any GCC3 flags that are a really bad idea to use in Gentoo? For example, if you use "-malign=double" in FreeBSD for the kernel, you will be greeted by the one of the strangest errors I have ever seen in my life, and cannot boot.
Thanks ahead of time!
proxy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if you really want to do that, then i would recomend avoiding any processor specific march flags and just stick with i686. I found many programs failed to compile with -march=pentium4 but compile fine with -march=i686.

also, i would do -O2, not -O3 just to be on safe side.

it should be safe to do "-fomit-frame-pointer" and i like to do "-falign-functions=4" as it allows the comiler to use more efficient instructions on function calls.

i have been pretty happy with my 1.3b install, i just hope the make patches to fix the programs that break in 3.1 so i can really crank up the optimizations ;)

proxy
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'v got one running happily on default flags, takes some more time to keep it up to date if a compile goes to hell, but it extreamly rarly does :)

and, if it does, there's sandbox :)
Sivar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

proxy wrote:
well if you really want to do that, then i would recomend avoiding any processor specific march flags and just stick with i686. I found many programs failed to compile with -march=pentium4 but compile fine with -march=i686.

also, i would do -O2, not -O3 just to be on safe side.

it should be safe to do "-fomit-frame-pointer" and i like to do "-falign-functions=4" as it allows the comiler to use more efficient instructions on function calls.
Thanks for the reply. The -falign-functions actually just aligns functions in such a way that they can be read on the boundries that modern x86 CPUs like by filling in the gap between where the function could be placed and should be placed with nulls, not that it matters. :)
Odd that you should mention using -O2 because that is what I normally use anyway. I figure the increase in file size isn't really worth the increase in speed, since so often reading the data from the disk is the biggest bottleneck (StarOffice is fast enough but it loads *really* *slooooowly!*)
The "server" is actually a Pentium-2, so i686 is about the best I can use. :-) I have a better system (dual Athlon) that could be used, but Linux is so efficient with wimpy hardware that even the P2 is overkill. Besides, the last thing I need is a heater.

Hopefully it will all work out. I am bootstrapping now.
proxy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the align functions pads the functions with nops on a mod (your number) boundary. and it just so happens that yes x86 cpus are better at getting data on those boundaries, but also jump instructions are ever so slightly faster on addresses that have nice boundaries as well :)
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GCC3 to P&P, locked as another CFLAGS thread.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: