Can you check if I did my sound right?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slimbim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 4:50 pm    Post subject: Can you check if I did my sound right? Reply with quote

I have CMI8738 chip onboard.
In the menuconfig, I hit <Y> in the sound section and selected CMI8738 support. If I do this, I do not have to do the ALSA thing in the Desktop Setup Guide, correct?

I just need to add my user to the audio group, correct?

Thanks!
slimbim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, when I emerge something, it will say files in the /etc need updating....I know how to do this, install gentoolkit and use etc-update.

but is it safe to just do etc-update and replace the files whenever it tells me that etc needs updating? or should I be careful on which files I replace??

Thanks!
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people will tell you to do it all by hand and not use etc-update, although I have yet to encounter problems. Be cautious, though, because it will be more than happy to overwrite configuration files you've tweaked if you tell it to. Take a good long look at each one, especially ones you know that you've messed with (i.e. make.conf, X config files, etc.). If you're not absolutely certain, don't mess with it and examine them manually and figure out what it'll effect.

Your sound stuff sounds right. If you left it as a <M> module and not compiled in, make sure you load the module. You shouldn't need alsa with kernel support.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i would say run
Code:
#find /etc -iname '._cfg????_*'
to get a list of the files that need updating then use the 'diff' command to see how they differ from one another.

i have never used the the 'automated' update tool in gentoolkit , it seems to easy and if your trigger happy can be a really bad thing...of corse you could back everything up first
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be bad if you're trigger happy, but I find it very convenient to have a small program that does virtually exactly what you just wrote only providing a menu that you can choose from. I used to do it your way and just switched to the easier way once I felt comfortable that I knew what I was doing. Just preference. *shrug*
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well actually that is true...but having done it the diff way, you have familiarized yourself with most of these files somewhat so its easier to go to using the utility then...i think being a noob (which i still consider myself despite that annoying guru title) the less automation the better , i started using linux in april with gentoo....thats the reason i choose this distrobution.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: