aspectj install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kvaso
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: aspectj install Reply with quote

Hi,
first of all: I am new to gentoo and linux at all

I want to install AspectJ, but there is no ebuild in portage - so my question is: can I simply download it and install on my own (from aspectJ homepage) or how else should I do that?

thanks a lot
DawgG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, i do not have the slightest idea about aspectJ.
Code:
wsadmin@edv-admin-new ~ $ emerge -s aspect
Searching...   
[ Results for search key : aspect ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  dev-java/aspectwerkz
      Latest version available: 2.0_rc2-r3
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of files: 9,530 kB
      Homepage:      http://aspectwerkz.codehaus.org
      Description:   AspectWerkz is a dynamic, lightweight and high-performant AOP/AOSD framework for Java.
      License:       LGPL-2.1

check if this is for you: http://aspectwerkz.codehaus.org/ and http://aspectwerkz.codehaus.org/index-merge.html (i guess it is)
emerge it.

of course you can install anything you like (follow the instructions) or run precompiled binaries. you can also write your own ebuilds if you need a certain version that's not in portage or a program that's not in portage at all; best put those in your own portage-overlay.
GOOD LUCK!
kvaso
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, that is not what I am looking for
I am looking for this: http://www.eclipse.org/aspectj/
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: aspectj install Reply with quote

kvaso wrote:
Hi,
first of all: I am new to gentoo and linux at all

I want to install AspectJ, but there is no ebuild in portage - so my question is: can I simply download it and install on my own (from aspectJ homepage) or how else should I do that?

thanks a lot

There are two ways you can install Java applications in Gentoo: you can use ebuilds, where they exist, or you can install them as a user with whatever installation mechanism the application uses. Typically a Java application comes as an archive of jar files, and sometimes an install script.

ebuilds typically compile the application from Java source code, and the installation runs as root. Installing an application from an archive of jar files avoids compilation, and runs as the end user. In my experience, installing from ebuilds can cause problems for applications with plug-in architectures, such as Eclipse, because you may need to run as root to install a new plug-in. Also, the ebuilds often factor out prerequisites into separate applications. That's not a problem, as emerge automatically installs all of them, but you may consider it's just adding complexity. It has the advantage that you should only have one copy of the prerequisites on your system, rather than several if you install several applications with common prerequisites.

In sum, you should have no difficulty installing AspectJ as a user. However, you may find you have to make some adjustments if you are mixing applications installed as a user with ones installed as root via an ebuild. If you have several end users sharing your machine, you can hit the opposite problem where you have to take further action to allow other users to access applications installed as a user.

My personal choice is to install as a user, but I came to Java long before I came to Gentoo. Installing as a user runs counter to Gentoo's philosophy as a source distribution. AFAIR, the Gentoo Java Guide used to have an explanation of why installing from source is better, but I didn't spot it just now.
kvaso
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
also I think AspectJ installaton is a simple unpacking of jar files into a certain (user-specified) directory - so there should be no conflicts or problem with gentoo itself
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: