Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
E17 is coming(part 6) [locked]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_mgt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M wrote:
Ok, I compiled with udev support, means upower and udisks is pulled (I actually tried to compile with modified ebuild but than configure complained about missing hal) .

Compiling with enlightenment overlay ebuilds from recent svn checkout should give you the choice between hal or udev(using udisks) or non of the above (but then you wont have devices showing up on the desktop and need to manually mount, see ppurka above)

M wrote:
I started the service, stopped wicd, stopped even net.lo, and I tried with e17 module and with connman-gnome applet (it is actually gtk only, doesn't need gnome) and it always says connman daemon is not running, and no devices I can configure is shown?

I didn't get connman to work either and there seemed to be a complete lack of documentation (not only for gentoo) when I tried 4 month ago. I know of one person who claims to use it, but doesn't want to give any detailed info or howto, sadly. I didn't even find any demon or other useful stuff, so if you succeed, please post a howto on gentoo-wiki!

M wrote:
Also, since I now finally have upower and udisks I start e17 with ck-launch-session and ck-list-session sees it is active why I don't have shutdown/suspend etc. buttons available? I did load dbus module, is there something else I need?

There used to be a "system" module for doing such stuff, but I dont use it, because I suspend to ram via acpi on LID or PWR_BTN events. (I shut down or reboot via command line, happens only once a month or so...)

M wrote:
Another question, some icons in menu were not visible, those were .xpm icons, once I converted them to .png and restarted e they are visible. I miss something for .xpm or what? Also, is there some equivalent for /usr/share/pixmaps in home folder? I know about ~/.local/share/applications and ~/.icons etc. but for pixmaps?

I think evas needs to be compiled with "xpm" useflag, I am not sure if that is activated by default. Don't know about pixmaps dir, I throw everything into ~/.local/share/icons. But I just saw that I have a ~/.local/share/pixmaps, too...
M
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_mgt wrote:
M wrote:
Ok, I compiled with udev support, means upower and udisks is pulled (I actually tried to compile with modified ebuild but than configure complained about missing hal) .

Compiling with enlightenment overlay ebuilds from recent svn checkout should give you the choice between hal or udev(using udisks) or non of the above (but then you wont have devices showing up on the desktop and need to manually mount, see ppurka above)

Thanks for answering, I don't care about those icons on desktop, and I use uam for automounting so I don't need this, but I still can't compile without hal AND udev. Line in ebuild still says !hal? ( >=dev-libs/e_dbus-9999[udev] ) . I modified it but than configure said no hal and fails. I just synced enlightenment overlay, line is still there and it should be until we can compile enlightenment without both hal and udev.

I think I will wait for connman a little more, like you said, no docs, and no reports someone is actually using it. I just wanted to try some alternative to wicd because it uses a lot of memory and since connman is sponsored by intel and nokia I thought it is good alternative already, but I will give him some time and will try again.

I also have configured acpi events but I have now upower and udisks, and I wanted to use those, for now I will just ignore em and try again to remove em.
I am recompiling now evas with xpm flag, didn't notice that flag, and now I see I also have ~/local/share/pixmaps dir on my desktop machine, so I could use those instead of /usr/share/pixmaps, I don't like to modify things in /usr but with evas and xpm flag I would not have to.

I have one more question, how can I disable error message that popup when I close some programs? If program returns anything other than 0 than this popup is shown, so far I noticed firefox and mupdf can do that, but there will be more I think.
the_mgt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been some discussion on useflags, if they should be present at all, how they are making sense, etc. Let me try to explain: e_dbus has a hal useflag and it was the case, that enlightenment(the package) needed e_dbus with its ehal features enabled (upstream did set this as default behaviour on purpose). BUT e_dbus with ehal support has absolutely NO runtime dependency on hal at all. It doesnt NEED the lib or even the demon running. If it finds it running, it uses hal, if not, it doesnt. You don't have to install sys-apps/hal if you compile e_dbus with hal useflag.
Although sys-app/hal only eats up 2mb diskspace here, didn't check for hal's deps, but it is not like pulling in half of gnome or kde...
Let me repeat: "hal? (sys-apps/hal)" should not be a DEPEND or RDEPEND, technically. But it is, because you would want to use hal, if you have that flag set. On the other hand, until recently you were not able to compile enlightenment with e_dbus[-hal], so upstream and some others were arguing that this useflag made no sense since you didnt have a choice. I hope this made sense to you. :?
It still beats me, why you can't compile it without both udev and hal... Discomfitor might shed light on that.

I also lived without xpm flag for about a year, until I finally found out about this fileformat. Was wondering why some apps have no icon, too.

I can't help you with that error message, I get it very seldom and at random when I close pidgin. So I don't bother. Did you check the config panel, application settings?
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1.0 release of the efl libraries did actually happen. Whoohoo!
skellr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow :D
Oliver90
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been some discussion on useflags, if they should be present at all, how they are making sense, etc. Let me try to explain: e_dbus has a hal useflag and it was the case, that enlightenment(the package) needed e_dbus with its ehal features enabled (upstream did set this as default behaviour on purpose). BUT e_dbus with ehal support has absolutely NO runtime dependency on hal at all. It doesnt NEED the lib or even the demon running. If it finds it running, it uses hal, if not, it doesnt. You don't have to install sys-apps/hal if you compile e_dbus with hal useflag.
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know how to troubleshoot a *.desktop file that won't start from the bar? when I click it nothing happens. all the others on the bar start fine. and the 'broken' one is definitely the right desktop file, I can change its icon and see the bar update.

I tried finding some way of starting the desktop file from cmd line like with an xdg cmd but nothing seems to be designed to do that. I copied a working desktop file, replaced the Exec= from the broken one and still nothing happens. also I can run what follows Exec= from cmd line just fine.

this desktop file was working in the past then at some point stopped working.
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwiw found the problem. I recently changed from csh to bash and this problematic desktop file points to a script that itself includes a pathless script reference. in csh this was never an issue but in bash it seems that either my user $path is being erased by /etc/profile.env or it isn't processing ~/.bashrc where I prepend existing $path. so the pathless script can't be found and that's why clicking the desktop icon never did anything.

still aren't sure how this works because when I run the same top-level script from bash cmd prompt it works fine - it's only clicking the desktop icon where the $path trouble surfaces.

nordic bro wrote:
does anyone know how to troubleshoot a *.desktop file that won't start from the bar? when I click it nothing happens. all the others on the bar start fine. and the 'broken' one is definitely the right desktop file, I can change its icon and see the bar update.

I tried finding some way of starting the desktop file from cmd line like with an xdg cmd but nothing seems to be designed to do that. I copied a working desktop file, replaced the Exec= from the broken one and still nothing happens. also I can run what follows Exec= from cmd line just fine.

this desktop file was working in the past then at some point stopped working.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how you are logging in to e. I have had problems with lxdm not honoring environment variables. slim seems to work (afaik).
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, this might be a stupid question, but where do I find the logout/power off/ suspend buttons in e17? Or aren't there any?
Now it's time for the harvest
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clad in Sky wrote:
Um, this might be a stupid question, but where do I find the logout/power off/ suspend buttons in e17? Or aren't there any?

Left click menu/main menu -> System. There you should see them.
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they ain't, that's why I asked.
So back to Gnome for the time being. But somehow e17 fascinates me. I keep coming back to it.
Now it's time for the harvest
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clad in Sky wrote:

That wasn't obvious to me.

If they aren't there I guess you are not allowed to execute this actions and you have to change some *-kit stuff first. How do you launch the session? Which ebuilds do you use if any?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clad in Sky wrote:
What do you mean?
1. You don't see "System" in the main menu? In this case ensure that the System Control module is loaded. It can be found under "Core" in the module dialog.
2. You don't see any of those reboot, shutdown, logout, etc buttons? In this case modify /etc/enlightenment/sysactions.conf and ensure your user has got all the right permissions.
Amokbunny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_mgt wrote:

Although sys-app/hal only eats up 2mb diskspace here, didn't check for hal's deps, but it is not like pulling in half of gnome or kde...
Let me repeat: "hal? (sys-apps/hal)" should not be a DEPEND or RDEPEND, technically. But it is, because you would want to use hal, if you have that flag set. On the other hand, until recently you were not able to compile enlightenment with e_dbus[-hal], so upstream and some others were arguing that this useflag made no sense since you didnt have a choice.

I'm using a hal-free system here, but for these reasons always had the hal USE flag enabled for e_dbus. Since some recent update, portage forces (-hal) on e_dbus, so no ehal module is built. In principle fine, I couldn't care less, but i.E. the e_places module still depends on ehal. Any ideas how to work around that, or just sit and wait for the updated modules?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amokbunny wrote:
I'm using a hal-free system here, but for these reasons always had the hal USE flag enabled for e_dbus. Since some recent update, portage forces (-hal) on e_dbus, so no ehal module is built. In principle fine, I couldn't care less, but i.E. the e_places module still depends on ehal. Any ideas how to work around that, or just sit and wait for the updated modules?
Yeah. The current option is wait and sit, and hope that some dev updates the places module to work without hal. :(
Bluemerlin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: emerging e_modules-places9999 Reply with quote

When I emerge e_modules I get the following error.
Code:
checking for E_HAL... no
configure: error: Package requirements (ehal) were not met:

No package 'ehal' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

This is using the enlightenment overlay in layman.

Everything else has emerged ok.

I have -hal in my USE flags as I thought enlightenment didn't need it.

I also have Consolekit and ukit in my USE flags.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use places. It doesn't work on a -hal system.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged above two posts
(though, this thread is getting a bit long. May be time for someone to make a new one, and let me lock this one?)

EDIT: thanks ppurka, works well enough for me :)

Locking this thread for the time being, as threads that get too long tend to make the forum servers start emitting smoke and making noises not unlike a train whistle
Please continue this discussion here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-873651.html
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30
Page 30 of 30

Jump to: