Firefox 4 won't compile [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tickeldi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Firefox 4 won't compile [SOLVED] Reply with quote

So I wanted to try out firefox 4. I unmasked it but compiling xulrunner-2.0 fails with following error (highlighted).

Quote:
powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu-g++ -o nsStreamUtils.o -c -fvisibility=hidden -DMOZILLA_INTERNAL_API -DOSTYPE=\"Linux2.6\" -DOSARCH=Linux -DEXCLUDE_SKIA_DEPENDENCIES -DCHROMIUM_MOZILLA_BUILD -DOS_LINUX=1 -DOS_POSIX=1 -D_IMPL_NS_COM -I../../ipc/chromium/src -I../../ipc/glue -I../../ipc/ipdl/_ipdlheaders -I.. -I. -I. -I../../dist/include -I../../dist/include/nsprpub -I/usr/include/nspr -I/usr/include/nss -fPIC -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsynth -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -Wcast-align -Wno-invalid-offsetof -Wno-variadic-macros -Werror=return-type -mcpu=7450 -pipe -mabi=altivec -Wno-return-type -w -fno-strict-aliasing -fshort-wchar -pthread -pipe -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -Os -fno-strict-aliasing -DMOZILLA_CLIENT -include ../../mozilla-config.h -MD -MF .deps/nsStreamUtils.pp nsStreamUtils.cpp
make[4]: *** [nsMultiplexInputStream.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/net-libs/xulrunner-2.0/work/mozilla-2.0/xpcom/io'
make[3]: *** [libs] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/net-libs/xulrunner-2.0/work/mozilla-2.0/xpcom'
make[2]: *** [libs_tier_platform] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/net-libs/xulrunner-2.0/work/mozilla-2.0'
make[1]: *** [tier_platform] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/net-libs/xulrunner-2.0/work/mozilla-2.0'
make: *** [default] Error 2
emake failed

This seems to be ppc related because googling the matter just gives me one thread in another ppc related forum for mint linux here
http://mintppc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=227&start=30
There is also a potential solution given in said thread and that is to add

Code:
ac_add_options --disable-ipc
to mozconfig.

How do I do that with ebuilds? I have to admit that I don't know how to write patches and only a slight idea how to add those to ebuilds (or overlays). Maybe there is another way to add that option?

Last edited by Tickeldi on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about:

Code:
# USE="-ipc" emerge -av firefox

;)
Tickeldi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nooooooooo way. I've looked over the USE-flags and didn't see it before. Okay I am ashamed now. Thank you!

Update
Just as much as I did overlook it before, it was actually already very deactivated. So the useflag is not causing the error. And therefore I have no idea where that comes from. Anyone got any tips?
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, you'll need to post the actual error (higher up from what you posted)
Tickeldi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This *is* the actual error. There is no trace of one before that. I even included the last successful line.
However I included "--disable-ipc" in the ebuild, digested it and now it seems to compile fine. Could it be that the useflag -ipc does something else than add "--disable-ipc" to the configuration? Where are they configured?

I realise that there had to be actual errors but I didn't find them in the building log.
Following my link to the only other appearance of that error (the mint forum) you'll see that the users snippet is more helpful:
Quote:
/home/jeroen/mozilla-central/ipc/chromium/src/build/build_config.h:64:2: error: #error Please add support for your architecture in build/build_config.h
In file included from /home/jeroen/mozilla-central/xpcom/io/nsMultiplexInputStream.cpp:46:
../../dist/include/mozilla/net/NeckoMessageUtils.h: In static member function ‘static void IPC::ParamTraits<IPC::InputStream>::Write(IPC::Message*, const IPC::InputStream&)’:
../../dist/include/mozilla/net/NeckoMessageUtils.h:218: warning: unused variable ‘rv’
../../dist/include/mozilla/net/NeckoMessageUtils.h:229: warning: unused variable ‘rv’
make[5]: *** [nsMultiplexInputStream.o] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/jeroen/mozilla-central/firefox-4.0.b11/xpcom/io'
make[4]: *** [libs] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/jeroen/mozilla-central/firefox-4.0.b11/xpcom'
make[3]: *** [libs_tier_platform] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/jeroen/mozilla-central/firefox-4.0.b11'
make[2]: *** [tier_platform] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jeroen/mozilla-central/firefox-4.0.b11'
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jeroen/mozilla-central/firefox-4.0.b11'
make: *** [build] Error 2

Tickeldi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Solution Reply with quote

The ipc useflag is deactivated by default but to make xulrunner-2.0 and firefox-4.0-r2 compile on ppc you have to add "--disable-ipc" manually to each configuration. I don't know what the ipc useflag is doing. But obviously not this.

I guess the best way to do this would be to create an overlay, copy the respective ebuilds into the respective folders, change them accordingly and do the things I have done to them. But I am dumb and lazy and changed them directly. Boo me.

So here is what I've done exactly. I've opened the xulrunner ebuild
Code:
# nano /usr/portage/net-libs/xulrunner/xulrunner-2.0.ebuild

And looked for
Code:

####################################
        #
        # mozconfig, CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS setup
        #
        ####################################

And below the other flags
Code:

mozconfig_annotate '' --with-default-mozilla-five-home="${MOZLIBDIR}"
        mozconfig_annotate '' --enable-extensions="${MEXTENSIONS}"
        mozconfig_annotate '' --disable-mailnews
        mozconfig_annotate '' --enable-canvas
        mozconfig_annotate '' --enable-safe-browsing

you just add
Code:

mozconfig_annotate '' --disable-ipc

Then you save,quit and need to make a new manifest for the ebuild.
Code:
# ebuild /usr/portage/net-libs/xulrunner/xulrunner-2.0.ebuild digest

Now xulrunner should compile just fine but you need to apply the same changes to the firefox-4 ebuild (/usr/portage/www-client/firefox/firefox-4.0-r2.ebuild) or it won't compile.

I realise this is dirty. Again you propably should take the time to create an overlay for this. It's way less messy. Works for me though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: