Sandy Bridge and Intel GPU
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Sandy Bridge and Intel GPU Reply with quote

I know Wikipedia is no reference :)

The i7 core seems to have actual nice supported Intel graphics inside:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge

For me that's the mobile 2820QM

Is that just adding the intel graphics to the kernel, KMS and off you go?
No fiddling around with the Nvidia stuff in the laptop?
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Nvidia drivers aren't necessary for Intel graphics. Intel graphics need Intel drivers and Nvidia cards need Nvidia drivers. Intel drivers are open source and the most straight forward solution for Linux.

Graphics on the CPU die is pretty cool. The TDP doesn't look that bad either.
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichbinsisyphos wrote:
No, Nvidia drivers aren't necessary for Intel graphics. Intel graphics need Intel drivers and Nvidia cards need Nvidia drivers. Intel drivers are open source and the most straight forward solution for Linux.

There is an Nvidia Card inside. I just thought before I start messing with it, I could use the Intel Graphics on the Chip for now.
Would the card interfere with the other?
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disi wrote:
ichbinsisyphos wrote:

There is an Nvidia Card inside. I just thought before I start messing with it, I could use the Intel Graphics on the Chip for now.

Hey, buddy, could you try to explain WTF you are trying to do? :-P

Is this a new laptop or are you trying to upgrade the CPU in an older one? If you buy a new laptop with both components installed, I guess they should be expected to work, eh? Ask the manufacturer?
erm67
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disi wrote:
ichbinsisyphos wrote:

dmesg?
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is a new machine and I have not done anything with X yet...

It has an nvidia 460m video card inside. The i7 Intel mobile CPU is listed to have it's own graphics capabilities.
Could I just use the Intel CPU graphics with the kernel drivers and maybe later install any nvidia stuff?
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and you already have it in your hands? Well, you can wait until somebody responds who tried to do the same thing, or you try it yourself. I don't think you can do any harm. Maybe check if it shows up in dmesg, or lspci, if that makes any sense here.
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichbinsisyphos wrote:
Oh, and you already have it in your hands? Well, you can wait until somebody responds who tried to do the same thing, or you try it yourself. I don't think you can do any harm. Maybe check if it shows up in dmesg, or lspci, if that makes any sense here.

I'll check later at home, just thought to ask if anyone tried the same thing...
Those guys didn't update the information I sent yesterday, yet: http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/Clevo
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this an Optimus laptop? If yes, chances are high the intel graphics is the only thing you'll be able to use. If it's not Optimus, you'll be able to choose which graphics to use.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say it should have been called "Sandy Crack" instead of "Sandy Bridge".
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it doesn't work :(
Code:
[drm:i915_init] *ERROR* drm/i915 can't work without intel_agp module!

However, there is an option in the kernel for laptops to choose which graphics card to use...

Well, I try nouveau now.
rtomek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
Is this an Optimus laptop? If yes, chances are high the intel graphics is the only thing you'll be able to use. If it's not Optimus, you'll be able to choose which graphics to use.
460M nvidia chip. That means Optimus Technology is most likely built-in by default since he does have an intel chip. You will need the linux nvidia drivers which were released in the future to use the Optimus Technology. There's some info at http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/ about switching on the fly or whatever, but you should just be able to install the intel drivers and be good to go if that's all you need.
rtomek
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disi wrote:
Looks like it doesn't work :(
Code:
[drm:i915_init] *ERROR* drm/i915 can't work without intel_agp module!

However, there is an option in the kernel for laptops to choose which graphics card to use...

Well, I try nouveau now.
Did you try these settings? http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:JRlwTw_2e1cJ:en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Intel_GMA+gentoo+hd+3000+intel&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=opera&source=www.google.com for some reason only the text-only version works for me
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupp, those are the settings I used...

nouveau works :)
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious as to how slow/fast the integrated graphics is. I just got a new computer at work yesterday. It's got a Xeon E3-1245 inside. I just dd'ed the whole drive over ssh from the old machine. I was in a hurry when setting up the previous one so just got Ubuntu 10.10 on it - for the Just Works and with hope of bearing with it. Not as bad as I was afraid.

Anyhow everything in their repo is way to old for Sandy Bridge to work (mesa with software rasterizer means that on a 1920x1080 screen moving a window around is a slideshow...) so after 1 hour of poking around I just put a Quadro 295 in it and then had to install the binary blob because Nouveo just freezes on that card...at least the version in their repo and again I didn't have the time to build myself recent Xorg, mesa and kernel modules. One freaking dissapointment after the other. Although the CPU is damn fast :D
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CPU rocks, but intel graphics doesn't seem to work. The nouveau driver is too slow to play Osmos without firmware and I am now testing the nvidia-drivers...

//edit: mine is 8150
Quote:
NP5160/NP5170 will have Optimus, using NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M.
The reason we don�t enable Optimus on the NP81x0 series is because these 3 units are defined as higher-end systems, and we firmly believed that it�s best to leave switchable graphics out of these systems for compatibility reasons. We have seen with many games plus online gaming services that switchable graphics create compatibility issues. There are also issues with the Linux communities, even though Sager does not actively support Linux OS, we do read and take in the suggestions from all communities.

Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean you have nvidia graphics working but not intel? That's weird, usually it's the other way around.

Edit: Saw your edit. So they actually disabled intel graphics in the high-end models and there's Optimus with the low-end ones. And they also took Linux users into account when doing that. That's awesome. You were lucky then to buy a high-end model. You'd be stuck with intel otherwise.

Another edit: I just checked this thing out - a Sandy Bridge i7 processor, usable-in-Linux nvidia graphics, and a 15.6'' 1080p display. Just one word: WOW!! A few more words: That thing totally rocks.
Alfreder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people consider it "hackish" but there is a way to use both Intel and nVidia cards in Optimus configuration. I posted a Tutorial on how to do that on Gentoo Wiki: X.Org and nVidia Optimus. I would be very grateful if anyone could test it on their machine and comment on if it worked for them. I have an MSI CX640 and that was the way to go for me.
genstorm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichbinsisyphos wrote:
Intel drivers are open source and the most straight forward solution for Linux.

Believe me, I've got some experience with Intel drivers, and still can't recommend using them on release-day hardware. For me i915 didn't work stable until 2.6.32 (starting with 2.6.27), and then they screwed up external monitor detection. Since 2.6.35 I am manually patching kernel sources to have boot-time resolution detection on my Ultrabase-attached monitor, it's a joke. Usually there seems to be a latency of about 6 months until new hardware support is fine, happened with Sandy Bridge too.
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
ichbinsisyphos wrote:
Intel drivers are open source and the most straight forward solution for Linux.

Believe me, I've got some experience with Intel drivers, and still can't recommend using them on release-day hardware. For me i915 didn't work stable until 2.6.32 (starting with 2.6.27), and then they screwed up external monitor detection. Since 2.6.35 I am manually patching kernel sources to have boot-time resolution detection on my Ultrabase-attached monitor, it's a joke. Usually there seems to be a latency of about 6 months until new hardware support is fine, happened with Sandy Bridge too.

But binary nvidia-drivers are crap as well :)
I use TwinView at the moment and since the driver cannot normal read the monitors attached to it, this causes problems. I cannot run any game in fullscreen, that would be somewhat 3200x1080 and stretched over two monitors. Except of the games provide their own workaround to come with static resolution that you might set.
I couldn't get SDL to read the metamodes workaround to run certain games in a comfortable window (e.g. uplink).
Sometimes Flash on websites looks through to other workspaces... and many more bugs I discovered.
Gaming performance windowed 1600x900 is OK

Soon my new AMD 6970M arrives and then I have easy going again, maybe the games do not support it but hey I do not play that many recent games anyway...

This was a trip into the nvidia "hell" to see if everything works so much better (I had problems with several games in wine on AMD for example). So, I cannot recomment nvidia for Linux with more than one monitor ^^
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: