Porting Ubuntu's appmenu/dbusmenu to Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalleRIM
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Porting Ubuntu's appmenu/dbusmenu to Gentoo Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Canonical has written libraries, applets and patches to Qt and GTK+ to provide their users with a Mac-like global menubar for all applications:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopExperienceTeam/ApplicationMenu

There are other approaches like gnome-globalmenu and bespin's Xbar, but they have several disadvantages. So far, gnome-globalmenu only works with GTK+ applications and does not support Qt. bespin's Xbar is style-dependent and GTK+ applications sometimes don't work properly. Appmenu will most probably also get support for XUL and VCL and maybe other toolkits in the near future. On the other hand, it requires patches to Qt and GTK+, which neither of the other solutions does. But considering Canonical's influence, those patches will probably go upstream soon. Until then, we have to patch Qt and GTK+ ourselves. I've patched Qt and the appmenu is working just fine, but I can't get the GTK+ part done, because applying the respective patch makes the build fail.
Ebuilds of the Qt part can be found here. It would be great if someone could get the GTK part done.

Malle
ebast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Currently, i am trying to get that global menu working - without success. The only working menu is the context menu of plasmas desktop. At all other applications (qt or gtk based does not make any different), there is only "File" -> "Quit". Probably, the folloging message from .xsession-errors could be helpful:
Code:
plasma-desktop(27265)/plasma StatusNotifierItemSource::refreshCallback: DBusMenu disabled for this application
plasma-desktop(27265)/plasma StatusNotifierItemSource::contextMenu: Could not find DBusMenu interface, falling back to calling ContextMenu()
The first message is related to klipper. Quitting klipper prevents those messages, but probably its helpful?

I have already done:
    patched qt-gui according to the bug
    installed newer versions of libdbusmenu and libdbusmenu-qt
    downgraded plasma-widget-menubar to 0.1.13
    logged out and in
    restarted dbus
    reinstalled all plasma-packages and kdelibs
- everything without success.

On my box, the following packages are installed:
    dev-libs/libdbusmenu-0.3.16-r2
    dev-libs/libdbusmenu-qt-0.7.0
    kde-misc/plasma-widget-menubar-0.1.14 (from kde overlay)
    x11-misc/appmenu-gtk-0.1.9
    x11-libs/gtk+-2.22.1-r1 (with 043_ubuntu-menu-proxy.patch)
    the qt-*-4.7.1 packages

Did i missed something? Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I am on KDE 4.6.1.
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any success? :-)
ebast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, sorry... i forgot this topic... it took me several hours, but i had success.

What you need:
  • dev-libs/libdbusmenu-0.3.16-r2
  • dev-libs/libdbusmenu-qt-0.6.2 (the "stable" 0.8.0 does not work)
  • kde-misc/plasma-widget-menubar-0.1.13 (from kde overlay, 0.1.14 is broken, don't know, if 0.1.15 works)
  • x11-misc/appmenu-gtk-0.1.9
  • x11-libs/gtk+-2.22.1-r1 (with 043_ubuntu-menu-proxy.patch)
  • qt-gui-4.7.x (with qt-4.7.0-appmenu.patch)

If you add the plasma widget the first time to the panel or desktop, it may not work. Try a new login (eventually with a dbus-restart).
ahgblopes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does somebody get it working in gnome? Wich overlays i need to use and wich packages i need to install to get it working in gnome?
ebast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the list above is outdated in the meantime, but there is an overlay called "stuff". That overlay provides all the ebuilds you need, which work very well in my case.
I do not know, whether it works with Gnome as i still use KDE SC, but i wish you good luck with http://gpo.zugaina.org/gnome-extra/gnome-globalmenu .
ahgblopes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebast wrote:
Well, the list above is outdated in the meantime, but there is an overlay called "stuff". That overlay provides all the ebuilds you need, which work very well in my case.
I do not know, whether it works with Gnome as i still use KDE SC, but i wish you good luck with http://gpo.zugaina.org/gnome-extra/gnome-globalmenu .

I'm using gnome-globalmenu 0.7.10. The 0.9999 only works with gnome3, i guess (i get an error if i try to compile it).

Unfortunately there is no way to make gnome-globalmenu works with qt, xul, etc...

Just before i post this topic, i tried to install the packages from the "stuff" overlay...

I got a lot of missed dependencies erros. I make some patches, but some packages don't compile. If somebody can help me with this, so i would post the erros i'm getting. And sorry for my english...
ahgblopes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahgblopes wrote:
ebast wrote:

I'm using gnome-globalmenu 0.7.10. The 0.9999 only works with gnome3, i guess (i get an error if i try to compile it).

Unfortunately there is no way to make gnome-globalmenu works with qt, xul, etc...

Just before i post this topic, i tried to install the packages from the "stuff" overlay...

I got a lot of missed dependencies erros. I make some patches, but some packages don't compile. If somebody can help me with this, so i would post the erros i'm getting. And sorry for my english...

Finally it is working! ... It works very well on gnome2, and now i will try it on xfce. Thank you all and specially the maintainer of the stuff overlay.

The only "side efect" i get is that the gnome-panel now has an weird "resize icon"(i don't know how to call it) at the right corner... (because the update to gtk+2.24.11 ....)
sbbg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Can it work without gtk+-3? Reply with quote

Hi,

I want to try dbusmenu for both QT & GTK2, but I DO NOT want GTK3 support because I don't use gtk+3

I built gtk+-2.24.14 with USE="appmenu" and libdbusmenu with USE="gtk2 -gtk" from stuff overlay.

But whenever I try to emerge appmenu-gtk, the configure failed at:

Quote:

configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0 >= 2.18
x11
dbusmenu-gtk-0.4 >= 0.5.90) were not met:

No package 'dbusmenu-gtk-0.4' found

Am I forced to install gtk+-3 to use it? Do I have any other options? Thank you.
megabaks
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Can it work without gtk+-3? Reply with quote

sbbg wrote:
Hi,

I want to try dbusmenu for both QT & GTK2, but I DO NOT want GTK3 support because I don't use gtk+3

I built gtk+-2.24.14 with USE="appmenu" and libdbusmenu with USE="gtk2 -gtk" from stuff overlay.

But whenever I try to emerge appmenu-gtk, the configure failed at:

Quote:

configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0 >= 2.18
x11
dbusmenu-gtk-0.4 >= 0.5.90) were not met:

No package 'dbusmenu-gtk-0.4' found

Am I forced to install gtk+-3 to use it? Do I have any other options? Thank you.

USE for appmenu-gtk?
which version of libdbusmenu?
sbbg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Can it work without gtk+-3? Reply with quote

megabaks wrote:

USE for appmenu-gtk?
which version of libdbusmenu?[/quote]

Hi, glad to hear some response!
The USE flag for appmenu-gtk is "gtk2 -gtk3" ( from stuff overlay )
The version of libdbusmenu is 12.10.2-r1 with USE="gtk2 -debug -gtk -introspection"
both from stuff overlay
megabaks
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Can it work without gtk+-3? Reply with quote

sync overlay && update libdbusmenu (gtk2-only build fixed)
sbbg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works like a charm.

Although the ebuild for appmenu-firefox-18.0.2 is needed.
Renaming and digesting the ebuild of 18.0.1 to 18.0.2 works for me.

Thank you. :D
megabaks
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
appmenu-firefox-18.0.2

Code:
if i_have_firefox && ! firefox-bin ;then
    if bump_of_appmenu-firefox;then
         firefox-bin will be emerged, because 18.0.2 need firefox-18.0.2(not in the main tree) or firefox-bin-18.0.2
    fi
fi

so ----> no way
sorry
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: