View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psycho_driver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A full system backup from the SSD via tar now run just under 40MB/s. Vast improvement. Also a large file copy from SSD->raidz went at 78MB/s. I think the earlier transfers may have been partially limited by the IDE drive's read speed.

Speed was never what I was going for with this setup. I want reliable software raid 5, and the built in compression made it a no brainer. Since I'm confident I can come pretty close to keeping a GB network saturated with it, I'm happy.
spielc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
As of March 4, I have started using LLNL's ZFS as my root filesystem on my laptop. Let's see how far it goes! It looks rock solid so far.

Good luck and let us know about your findings! I'm sure a lot of ppl (myself included) will be interested in your results.

I do have another question tho: I use llnl's zfs-implementation to store the portage related stuff (portage, distfiles and layman) in a zpool. I wrote a small initskript that esentially just loads the spl and zfs modules and calls zfs mount -a. The first step works without any problems but the second fails with the following errors:

Code:

cannot mount 'gentoo/distfiles': No such device or address
cannot mount 'gentoo/overlays': No such device or address
cannot mount 'gentoo/portage': No such device or address

The interesting this is that if i execute zfs mount -a manually as root everything works as expected. It just fails if i call it from the initskript. Do you have any idea why it fails?
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spielc wrote:
devsk wrote:
As of March 4, I have started using LLNL's ZFS as my root filesystem on my laptop. Let's see how far it goes! It looks rock solid so far.

Good luck and let us know about your findings! I'm sure a lot of ppl (myself included) will be interested in your results.

I do have another question tho: I use llnl's zfs-implementation to store the portage related stuff (portage, distfiles and layman) in a zpool. I wrote a small initskript that esentially just loads the spl and zfs modules and calls zfs mount -a. The first step works without any problems but the second fails with the following errors:

Code:

cannot mount 'gentoo/distfiles': No such device or address
cannot mount 'gentoo/overlays': No such device or address
cannot mount 'gentoo/portage': No such device or address

The interesting this is that if i execute zfs mount -a manually as root everything works as expected. It just fails if i call it from the initskript. Do you have any idea why it fails?
Try putting in some sleep after the module loading. It may be racing with the mount.
spielc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
Try putting in some sleep after the module loading. It may be racing with the mount.

Thanks for the tip but that doesn't seem to be the issue. i let it sleep for 30 seconds and i still get the same result.

Here's the initscript maybe you see something that i've missed but in my eyes it looks okey...

Code:

#!/sbin/runscript
# Copyright 1999-2006 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2

opts="start stop restart"

depend() {
        need modules
}

start() {
        ebegin "Modprobing zfs-mdule"
        modprobe zfs
        eend $?
        sleep 30
        ebegin "Mounting zfs filesystem(s)"
        zfs mount -a
        eend $?
}

stop() {
        ebegin "Unmounting zfs filesystems"
        zfs umount -a
        eend $?
}

devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at mount behavior issues: https://github.com/behlendorf/zfs/issues/107#comment_844398
spielc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
Have a look at mount behavior issues: https://github.com/behlendorf/zfs/issues/107#comment_844398

Ah thanks for the info, this really looks promising... I'm going to have a look at it
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the ebuilds for the LLNL ZFS implementation would be relatively trivial, being standard autoconf / automake / configure based projects, but I thought I'd ask before I went & did 'em if they exist in an overlay somewhere already.

- John
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Looks like the ebuilds for the LLNL ZFS implementation would be relatively trivial, being standard autoconf / automake / configure based projects, but I thought I'd ask before I went & did 'em if they exist in an overlay somewhere already.

- John
The science overlay.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, devsk! :)

- John
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working through this new guide: Migrating Bootable Gentoo on ZFS Root. It makes, to me, the rather startling claim that native ZFS will not work right (neither compile nor build) unless you have a non-preemptable kernel (CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE=y in kernel .config file). For those of you that are experimenting with native ZFS, have you found this to be the case?

- John
spielc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
I'm working through this new guide: Migrating Bootable Gentoo on ZFS Root. It makes, to me, the rather startling claim that native ZFS will not work right (neither compile nor build) unless you have a non-preemptable kernel (CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE=y in kernel .config file). For those of you that are experimenting with native ZFS, have you found this to be the case?

- John

I use ZFS for the gentoo-related stuff (distfiles, portage-tree and overlays) on my laptop. I have a preemptible kernel and it works. I do get lots of kernel-bug messages in the kernel-related logs but i have found no evidence that it doesn't work. You do have to patch the configure-script tho, as it bails out if you leave it as is and CONFIG_PREEMPT is enabled. At the moment i wouldn't use zfs as root-fs though, as it is known to have performance issues.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*

any news meanwhile ?

I'm currently trying to use ZFS for some of my smaller backup drives

the main issue is that I can't 100% (for me meaning: not at all) work productively while it's transferring files

every 2 seconds or so it's syncing to the harddrive and this interrupts keyboard and mouse

it's annoying to say the least

any ideas how to solve this ?

I remember having seen this start with zfs-fuse 0.7+, 0.6.9 was fine

could this be a nasty regression in ZFS ?

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
spielc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left the tests with zfs on linux some time ago, as it got worse and worse for me. Till the point when i wasn't able to mount the fs at all. That was the point for me to give up. Furthermore i still follow the bugreport tracking the CONFIG_PREEMPTIBLE-issues and from what i've seen that this is still not resolved and thus this is still a no-go for desktop systems...
ryao
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
the main issue is that I can't 100% (for me meaning: not at all) work productively while it's transferring files

every 2 seconds or so it's syncing to the harddrive and this interrupts keyboard and mouse

This is a regression caused by the following commit:

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/commit/302f753f1657c05a4287226eeda1f53ae431b8a7

Adding swap should help. I also have some patches in an upstream pull request that might also help:

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/pull/726

spielc wrote:
I left the tests with zfs on linux some time ago, as it got worse and worse for me. Till the point when i wasn't able to mount the fs at all. That was the point for me to give up. Furthermore i still follow the bugreport tracking the CONFIG_PREEMPTIBLE-issues and from what i've seen that this is still not resolved and thus this is still a no-go for desktop systems...

See Gentoo on ZFS.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryao wrote:
kernelOfTruth wrote:

This is a regression caused by the following commit:

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/commit/302f753f1657c05a4287226eeda1f53ae431b8a7

Adding swap should help. I also have some patches in an upstream pull request that might also help:

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/pull/726

spielc wrote:

See Gentoo on ZFS.

thanks a lot for your work on ZFS ryao :)

by "adding swap" you mean a swap partition ? or the swap branch ?

cause I'm already using a fairly big one (9 GB) albeit not on ZFS

is it supposed to run on ZFS ?

I'll give ZFS another try on July when exams are over - right now btrfs seems to work stable enough (can't be sure when it's not accessible the next time :lol: )

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
ryao
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
by "adding swap" you mean a swap partition ? or the swap branch ?

cause I'm already using a fairly big one (9 GB) albeit not on ZFS

is it supposed to run on ZFS ?

Linux swap on ZFS zvols works with my latest patches. They are in a pull request at upstream. ZFS is meant to eliminate the need for multiple partitions, traditional raid and logical volume managers. That includes separate partitions for swap.

Currently, Solaris puts swap on a zvol. swap on zvols being perfectly stable in my testing of FreeBSD's 9.0 release, but I believe that they will not recommend it until their 9.1 release. With these patches, Linux swap on zvols is possible. There is currently one lingering issue in it. You can read a description of it in the Gentoo on ZFS for the details.
ryao
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have keyworded sys-kernel/spl-0.6.0_rc9 and sys-fs/zfs-0.6.0_rc9 on ~amd64. They include patches for hardened support and deadlock fixes that make swap work. The preemption support patches have been omitted pending some additional changes. The 9999 versions apply no patches.

By the way, we might want to re-evaluate the decision to put this thread in the "Unsupported Software" forum.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Unsupported Software to Kernel & Hardware in honor of Ryao joining us to support (among other things) ZFS.

- John
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: