View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Trinity fork of KDE-3 Reply with quote

Is anyone out there playing with Trinity yet? I downloaded the source, but I'd like to see if someone of a more code-based background than I is playing with ebuilds to make it happen in a removable sort of way.

Cheers,
Pappy
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Looking for Trinity Reply with quote

I find scattered messages about it. The kde-sunset developers seem to have concluded that they want to start a new overlay for Trinity. I'm not completely convinced that's the best thing to do, but that's seems to be the consensus.

They would like to make it so that we could avoid having Gentoo-specific patches, preferring to submit them to upstream. That's a good policy for bug fixes and improvements, but still there would likely be distribution-specific patches that could be applied (slotting, branding, Gentoo web shortcuts, and the like).

Considering that Tim Pearson has made it that Trinity can be installed in the same machine as KDE4 and is keeping things up to date, I harbor the hope that it might some day make it into the Portage tree.

I'm really looking forward to these ebuilds. Serghei's even making it so that Trinity will build with cmake, just as KDE 4 does.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I hope to see an overlay sooner rather than later so I can start playing with trinity.

Cheers,
Pappy
Steven_M
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also love it if Trinity was available for Gentoo. I'd particularly like to see it in the portage tree.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miket wrote:
Considering that Tim Pearson has made it that Trinity can be installed in the same machine as KDE4 and is keeping things up to date, I harbor the hope that it might some day make it into the Portage tree.

Steven_M wrote:
I would also love it if Trinity was available for Gentoo. I'd particularly like to see it in the portage tree.
Short of a new upstream for Qt3 coming forward and at least fixing known security issues, is is unlikely for that to happen before at least version 3.5.15, which is currently loosely planned for release in "Spring 2012".
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking around on Distrowatch, and saw the Porteus-1.0 Slackware 13.37 based distro, which is a fork of the apparently abandoned Slax project.

It's not really meant to be installed to a hard drive, but run as a Live CD or from flash drive, and there is a "Trinity" kde3 version which I found remarkably cool. It even auto-detected my (r8712u driver) USB wireless adapter rig like magic- Most other distros, even mainstreams like Fedora or Arch failed on that one.

Much better than the old Slax (IMO), with a new beautifully done GUI. They've really made the most of an up-to-date kde-3.5.12 with a new 2.6.38.8 kernel , so much so that I'm considering devoting a partition to a "Trinity" based "legacy kde3" Gentoo install. Should be great fun. :)

The Trinity 3.5.12 is only availble in the 32 bit version- a stripped down kde-4.6.3 is also available with 64 bit.

The point of this post is that anyone interested in Trinity should burn the Porteus live 32 bit cd (less than 300mb), boot with the "copy-to-ram" option, and take a look at a lighting fast default kde3 Trinity distro very finely implemented.

In my case, I rediscovered how great kde3 was (and still is). This little Porteus is so good it has become my portable "live linux cd" of choice.

Many thanks to the Trinity maintainers for keeping kde3 going.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=porteus

http://porteus.org/info/features.html
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.8.4 USE=experimental python3_11

Last edited by wrc1944 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
Short of a new upstream for Qt3 coming forward and at least fixing known security issues, is is unlikely for that to happen before at least version 3.5.15, which is currently loosely planned for release in "Spring 2012".

hm, interesting plans ;)
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944,

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Pappy
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, I was playing a bit with this today and found that, while trinity is a .12, the kde-sunset overlay holds only ebuilds for .10. Does anyone around know if there's any plan to continue supporting this overlay?
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kde-sunset is maintained. I just updated. It does contain only kde-3.5.10.

I have read that trinity is going to be named TDE in portage. I have read a few other things that make me think there are some people who really want to get it going, but for some reason I haven't found yet. It's not in portage, as of this date.

When I tried out the kubuntu trinity version, it was using hal. Perhaps part of the problem is that hal has been consigned to the Gentoo scrap heap for all but the most stubborn of souls. That's only a guess.

It would be really nice to have a better KDE-3.x. kde-4 is far too bloated and buggy for my tastes.

Cheers,
Pappy
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see. Thanks for your work and for your answer.

I also looked around the internet and found about "TDE", but nothing concrete around. So, I guess you have no plans to add more recent trinity versions to kde-sunset. Is that because you are happy with .10 or is it due to lack of manpower or something else?
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
I have read that trinity is going to be named TDE in portage. I have read a few other things that make me think there are some people who really want to get it going, but for some reason I haven't found yet. It's not in portage, as of this date.
Considering that Qt-3 was removed from the tree some time ago, the introduction of Trinity to the tree would be extremely unlikely to occur before the 3.5.13 release, as indicated on the project road map page.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the only issue is qt3, why not use qt3meta, like in the kde-sunset overlay? It still works, even years after Gentoo dropped KDE-3.

Cheers,
Pappy
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their logo really should be the KDE cog with a bear in it (TDE, Teddy, geddit? :lol: ... Okay I'll leave... >_>)
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
(TDE, Teddy, geddit? :lol: ... Okay I'll leave... >_>)

I LOL'd :lol:
s0ltys
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems there is overlay for trinity: https://github.com/serghei/kde-trinity/ but it's really ugly to use (no metapackets).

pappy_mcfae wrote:
If the only issue is qt3, why not use qt3meta, like in the kde-sunset overlay? It still works, even years after Gentoo dropped KDE-3.

They can't since they use qt3 with some patches, which aren't included in kde-sunset qt3. Anyway they have incorporated the qt3 into whole project and it's available from their git.

pappy_mcfae wrote:
Is anyone out there playing with Trinity yet? I downloaded the source, but I'd like to see if someone of a more code-based background than I is playing with ebuilds to make it happen in a removable sort of way.

I've been struggling to compile whole thing on my gentoo, but I got some errors, and they couldn't help me on theirs IRC channel. I'm beginning to wonder if it's something or with my gentoo installation rather than something with the trinity. More details here: http://trinity-devel.pearsoncomputing.net/?0::2753
Anyway try to compile it following the guide on their wiki and post the results if You manage to get it running. You'll need to compile qt3 from theirs git first. (http://git.trinitydesktop.org)

pappy_mcfae wrote:
When I tried out the kubuntu trinity version, it was using hal.

They are going to drop it and migrate to udev. But first they need to include Qt4 support and finish migration to CMake.

miket wrote:
I find scattered messages about it. The kde-sunset developers seem to have concluded that they want to start a new overlay for Trinity. I'm not completely convinced that's the best thing to do, but that's seems to be the consensus.

IMHO there should be new overlay for trinity since it's not KDE.3.5 anymore. It's an independent fork (is written on theirs page).

Steven_M wrote:

Me too. And probably more people too.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that overlay already, but since it requires hal (and hal can't be installed without messing my system) I will probably have to wait until a hal-less version arrives.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, that will work with hal? Hmm. I have hal still installed on this machine (xorg-server-1.7.7-r1 requires it, as does KDE3), which also still lives on this machine. If I had a second machine like this one, I'd be up for experimenting. All my other machines are running with xorg-server-1.9.5, which doesn't use hal. I don't think things would work all that well.

I guess I wait.

Cheers,
Pappy
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to require hal, yes. The problem is that hal and upower are blockers so it's not as easy as just installing the packages and be done with it. Not that upower is vital for me (this is a desktop) but I suspect that after I remove that blocker some others will show up. In any case, I will keep the overlay around and pull the updates every few days, just to see what's going on.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it? I still have x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.7-r1 and kde-3.5.10 on my system but don't have hal or dbus...!
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
Does it? I still have x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.7-r1 and kde-3.5.10 on my system but don't have hal or dbus...!

I installed a couple of days ago the stuff from kde-sunset (which is kde-3.5.10-something), it installed without hal, and without problems. Surprisingly enough, yesterday I downloaded that overlay with trinity ebuilds for 3.5.13_something and it doesn't install because of hal, as I said above. You can try yourself. I can't explain why they are walking backwards, surely there's a reason, but that alone is probably stopping a lot of users from becoming trinity testers, even in a source oriented distro like Gentoo.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a bit weird... maybe the way they're doing things it was just easier to keep hal as a dep until they tidy up the code some...

I actually want to get rid of KDE tho' so I'll take your word for it rather than risk messing my system up further :mrgreen:
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems it reached 3.5.13 finally, that's good news! :)

http://www.trinitydesktop.org/wiki/bin/view/Documentation/Releases_3_5_13
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this going to be in the kde-sunset overlay or a separate overlay? I'm only assuming it won't be in the main tree.

:D :D
Cooler Master HAF-932 Case
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why hang on to something that is old? Is the guy going to maintain the older versions of all dependent packages (like QT) as well? This seems like a borken path full of potholes and security holes all over.

BTW, 4.7.2 works great for me. Better than 3.5.10 in every way.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: