Ultra 1 performance.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
korbatz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Ultra 1 performance. Reply with quote

Hi,
while looking at "workstations" on Ebay i found some SPARC-Ultra1 (model 170) machines. I'm just curious, how fast those machines are? (with Gentoo on board :)). Does anybody has any SPARC-Ultra1 experiences? Could anyone compare such station to some classic PC Gentoo based box? Or should i look for something better?
I'm not a QUAKE8 fan, i don't need a super-duper-end machine. All i need is quite fast shell ;), Icewm under X'es and Mozilla to browse. My current machine is PC mainboard from 1997, AMD K6-450 MHz (socket7) and pci gfx card (Riva128). And that's enough!. The key is distributed computing; i have different computers working as fieserwers, app-servers, internet gateways and so on. :). Will Ultra1 be significant slower or faster than mentioned "workstation"?

and finally: any hints while buing/assembling SPARC-Ultra1 Gentoo Workstation?

greetings,
korbatz
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are the stats on the ulta1/170
Quote:
Architecture

* Superscalar SPARC® Version 9 UltraSPARC
* Visual Instruction Set:

Processor

* 143/167MHz UltraSPARC

Memory Management

* MMU with 64 instruction TLB entries,
* 64 data TLB entries, 8192 hardware contexts

On-chip Cache

* 16kB data, 16 kB instruction

Secondary Cache

* 512kB

Audio

* 16-bit audio
* Line-in/out, speaker, microphone via RCA connectors
* SPECint92
* 205/250+ (estimated)
* SPECfp92
* 300+/350+ (estimated)

System Bus

* 72/83MHz
* SCSI-2
* 10MB/s, 50-pin connector

Parallel Port

* Centronics compatible DB-25

Ethernet (100Mb/s)

* Fast Ethernet Card (100Mb/s) Expansion
* IEEE 1496
* 3 SBus slots

Faster SBus

* 64 byte with 64bit transfers @ 25 MHz 60MB/s

since this is a sparc, that 167Mhz is about the equivilent of a pentium2 266-300Mhz, not exact bacause of the different architecture but thats as close as i can guess.

it does use only the SBus(SunBUS) so it may be expensive to get addon cards. it does use standard SIMM memory, which is cheap and easy to get on ebay. i would say that unless this thing is VERY cheap then you could get a cheap PC with ANY duron in it for very little, and it would run circles around one of these.

i would reccomend not getting one. they are not speedy by any means, and the SBus is not your friend. you might run into trouble finding drivers for SBus cards is linux as well.
korbatz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:10 am    Post subject: thx Reply with quote

Thanks for the valuable answer. So, I think, I'll maybe buy one of those Ultras someday, but just for fun. It'll be not a system-critical node in whole network, but a new experience (i never have had Sun machine on my own before).
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, I think, I'll maybe buy one of those Ultras someday, but just for fun. It'll be not a system-critical node in whole network

now remember, i said its not FAST, BUT a SUN ULTRA1/170 is going to be extremely reliable hardware. Sun makes good stuff. if it werent so slow i would recommed one inn an instant, and if its cheap enough it would make a great router or firewall.

im just meerly looking at performance.[/quote]
nrosier
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: SBus = Schoolbus Reply with quote

syadnom wrote:

it does use only the SBus(SunBUS)

Someone once told me SBus is internally known as Schoolbus. If I'm not mistaken, it was introduced first in the sun4c architecture (c for Campus.. you drive to campus in a schoolbus).
They've got all sorts of funny names, best know is probably the hme-card. It was supposed to be called Big-Mac but McDonalds opposed to this so they called it hme: Happy Meal Ethernet.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: