compiling binaries for gentoo live cd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yddadnarg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: compiling binaries for gentoo live cd Reply with quote

Greetings all,
I was put in charge of coming up with a cheap way to do a full backup of a solaris box we are putting up and could use a little help from whomever feels so inclined. I back up all of our linux boxes using the good ole' "dd | nc" and a remote server that holds all the images for us. I was hoping to use this same method with the solaris box but had to find a bootable linux distro that worked on sparc. That's where wonderful gentoo came into play.
So I can boot off the gentoo livecd, get the network configured, but I couldn't find a netcat binary on the livecd. I decided to do a full gentoo installation and build a netcat binary that I could either add to the livecd or d/l when booted off of it. I have installed gentoo and built the binary but it doesn't seem to work on the livecd. I am able to use netcat when booted into the full installation, but when I boot off of the livecd and try to execute it, it terminates with a segfault everytime I try to connect out to the internet. I know the binary is built and executing atleast partially correctly, because it will parse the command line correctly(i.e. "nc 192.168.1.1" will complain about not being supplied a port number), but if I give it all of the arguments, it segfaults. I'm really not sure why this would be.

I've tried installing netcat via emerge and source, and I compiled it with the static flag. It is an Ultra 5 that I am running this on, so it is a 64 bit machine. The normal installation has 32 bit binary support, but I'm not sure if the livecd does. I'm not sure if that is the problem or not, but we couldn't get gcc64 to compile it properly either(got compilation errors involving stdio)

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong or have suggestions about what to try? I appreciate any help. Thanks a lot! -y
teknomage1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, so i'm guessing the gentoo installation is on a seperate box which is why you need the livecd on the sparc. Could you maybe export the solaris drives over nfs to the box with netcat? Or mount the space you wanted to netcat to on the sparc and pipe the dd to the locally mounted partition?
yddadnarg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't think I explained myself very well. Actually they are the same system that I am booting the livecd off of and have the gentoo installation on. Eventuallyl I want to install Solaris on the box, but before I do I wanted to have a good backup method. I was going to use "nc | dd" as the backup method, but the gentoo livecd doesn't include a nc binary. That's why I temporarily installed a full gentoo installation on the sparc, just so that i could build a nc binary. Unfortunately it doesn't work when booted off of the cd.

Thanks a lot for the help and sorry I didn't make that clear. All I really have available for the backup is another linux system on the same network and we're not running nfs unfortunately. Any other thoughts?
smeets_marc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a glibc/gcc mismatch problem.
Are you sure you compile netcat with the same gcc/glibc versions as the live cd has?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: