Gentoo on SheevaPlug /w SD Card
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kazagha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Gentoo on SheevaPlug /w SD Card Reply with quote

I have reciently got my hands on a Marvell SheevaPlug development kit and have been following the 'Gentoo on the Marvell SheevaPlug' install guide (http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/sheevaplug/install.xml) by Raúl Porcel. I intend to install Gentoo on an SD Card.

I have gone as far as beginning the Gentoo installation when I realized that I don't know what the device name of the SD Card would appear as under /dev. I couldn't see any HD* or SD* devices. I suspected the device would be /dev/mmcblk0p1 from reading the install guide and searching, is this correct?[/glsa][/bug]
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can view startup messages, you could probably find the device name like that.

Otherwise just try it and see :)

Remember though, SD cards can be formatted either with a partition table, or without one - where the filesystem is placed directly on the raw device, like how floppy disks work. But, Windows will only ever show the first partition if a partition table is used, limiting the usefulness of partitions on such devices. So, if you use partitions and need to use the SD card in Windows also, keep in mind that windows will only see the first partition.

But, I think that's the correct device name, as that's how it appears in gentoo on Nintendo Wii.
kazagha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion BradN.

At the moment I can't seem to find the /dev/mmcblk0 device name and thought it might have been name something else. I will just have to keep trying.
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe double check that the SD/MMC driver is loading at startup, perhaps it wasn't compiled into the kernel, or it's built as a module?
kazagha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using specific below sources as suggested in the guide loaded via the usb/serial connection so I would assume it's build in but I will check if it's a module. I might try e-mailing Raúl direct. I am guessing it's simply something that I have missed or done wrong.

http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/sheevaplug/install/uImage_kwplug
http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/sheevaplug/install/sheevaplug.initramfs
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it show up at all if you ls -l /dev/disk/by-path or ls -l /dev/disk/by-id ?

(that's how I figured it out on my DL380, as it also doesn't use the usual (h|s)da )

I do think your assumption is correct however with regards to mmcblk0p1
kazagha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been on the back burner for a week but I am back trying to get this to work. I don't have a /dev/disk directory. I also just realised that nothing happens in the dmsg when I inert the card so I am at a bit of a loss. I have e-mailed Raúl to see if he can provide me with some more information.

It could be that mine which is a globalscales technology (http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-22-sheevaplug-dev-kit-us.aspx) is different from the one Raúl used in the turorial.
kazagha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across this youtube video about upgrading uboot; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIcTWya7TQA

I have the 3.4.16 bootloader that won't reliably boot from SD card according to the video. I might be onto something.

Code:
Marvell>> version
U-Boot 1.1.4 (Jul 14 2009 - 06:46:57) Marvell version: 3.4.16
kazagha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not. I think that is useful if you are going to boot from a SD card, whereas I am booting from the tftp server which is fine, then installing to the SD card which is where I am having problems.
kazagha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some success, I have been able to successfully install Gentoo to the internal NAND using a program called Easy Sheevaplug Installer Application, or ESIA thanks to a tip off the plug computer forums (http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1400.0). The project homepage can be found on Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/esia/) including documentation and a pre built Gentoo release.

All in all the installation of the Gentoo image took 10 minutes although I was unable to select the SD Card as I originally intended. The Gentoo environment after the install is very base, and without a Portage tree (due to space restrictions; 512mb on the NAND) but that shouldn't be a problem once additional storage is made available.
armin76
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

are you sure the sd card works fine? And that you are inserting it correctly? Now that you have gentoo installed, have you tried to insert the card on the running system? Does it show up?
kazagha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Armin,

I haven't come to check back with this thread for a while. I purchased a new Sheevaplug and after seeing your reply it got me thinking.

When I updated U-boot on my original plug in hopes of getting it working I got the pingtoo patch as it was the one in the tutorial I was following. Additionally ESIA refuses to reflash the bootloader, maybe something to do version of U-boot that I have.

I plugged my original Sheevaplug into my computer and opened up ESIA;
U-boot Version 1.1.4
Marvell Version 3.4.27 - pingtoo patch .01
MMC Card: N/A

Then I did exactly the same thing with the new Sheevaplug;
U-boot Version 1.1.4
Marvell Version 3.4.16
MMC Card: "SD08G", revision 2.0

I haven't inserted the card into the Sheevaplug running Gentoo to check if it works yet, but that is something I will have to try. I will also try to find a way to flash the bootloader but after trying a number of times I came across ESIA and was able to get the Sheevaplug operational without having to flash the bootloader.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: