multilib missing 64 gcc - using stage3-sparc64-multilib-2010
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
honeymak
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: multilib missing 64 gcc - using stage3-sparc64-multilib-2010 Reply with quote

Code:

livecd / # cd /usr/src/linux && make CROSS_COMPILE=sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu- && make CROSS_COMPILE=sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu- image modules_install
make: sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc: Command not found
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  CC      kernel/bounds.s
/bin/sh: sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc: command not found
make[1]: *** [kernel/bounds.s] Error 127
make: *** [prepare0] Error 2

ls output:
Code:

livecd linux # sp
sparc                                   sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc-4.3.4       sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-strip           sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-objdump
sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-addr2line       sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-gfortran        sparc32                                 sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-ranlib
sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-ar              sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-gfortran-4.3.4  sparc32bash                             sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-readelf
sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-as              sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-gprof           sparc64                                 sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-size
sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-c++             sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-ld              sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-addr2line     sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-strings
sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-c++-4.3.4       sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-nm              sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-ar            sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-strip
sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-c++filt         sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-objcopy         sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-as            splain
sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-cpp             sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-objdump         sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-c++filt       split
sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-cpp-4.3.4       sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-ranlib          sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-gprof         sprof
sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-g++             sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-readelf         sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-ld           
sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-g++-4.3.4       sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-size            sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-nm           
sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc             sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-strings         sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-objcopy       

aderesch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: multilib missing 64 gcc - using stage3-sparc64-multilib- Reply with quote

Don't use CROSS_COMPILE on multilib, as the regular gcc now supports -m32 and -m64. You only ever need to set -m64 explicitly when you want to manually compile a 64-bit userspace program, not for the kernel or portage.

ad
honeymak
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thus...genkernel cannot be working....
:oops:
aderesch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honeymak wrote:
thus...genkernel cannot be working....

Hhmm, I suppose just making sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc a link pointing to sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc would work for now (quick'n'dirty). The kernel makefiles pass -m64 anyway.
Or just build the kernel manually ... Or try to fix/enhance genkernel ...

ad
alexbuell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: multilib missing 64 gcc - using stage3-sparc64-multilib- Reply with quote

aderesch wrote:
Don't use CROSS_COMPILE on multilib, as the regular gcc now supports -m32 and -m64. You only ever need to set -m64 explicitly when you want to manually compile a 64-bit userspace program, not for the kernel or portage.

ad

Which compiler would that be? gcc 4.4.3 won't do it:
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-m64".

Linux - the best text adventure game ever.
aderesch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: multilib missing 64 gcc - using stage3-sparc64-multilib- Reply with quote

alexbuell wrote:

I can verify 4.3.5 and 4.4.4-r1 on sparc, 4.4.4-r2 and 4.5.1 on amd64 right now.
Are you sure that you are running a multilib profile (experimental on sparc) and have (re)built that particular gcc version with the multilib USE flag?

ad
alexbuell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: multilib missing 64 gcc - using stage3-sparc64-multilib- Reply with quote

aderesch wrote:
alexbuell wrote:

I can verify 4.3.5 and 4.4.4-r1 on sparc, 4.4.4-r2 and 4.5.1 on amd64 right now.
Are you sure that you are running a multilib profile (experimental on sparc) and have (re)built that particular gcc version with the multilib USE flag?

ad

Ah, multilib. How did you manage to build glibc and gcc? I've been trying for ages to get a 64bit glibc and gcc built. Even building a sparc64 cross-compiler on my P4 laptap fails with an error (already filed a bug report on this but no help, they even asked me to try and find a workaround for it!)

Mamy thanks!

Linux - the best text adventure game ever.
aderesch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: multilib missing 64 gcc - using stage3-sparc64-multilib- Reply with quote

alexbuell wrote:
Ah, multilib. How did you manage to build glibc and gcc? I've been trying for ages to get a 64bit glibc and gcc built. Even building a sparc64 cross-compiler on my P4 laptap fails with an error (already filed a bug report on this but no help, they even asked me to try and find a workaround for it!)

To be honest I don't recall any details (judging from compilation times I seem to have switched in August of last year), but I believe I simply followed the multilib migration guide http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/sparc/multilib.xml, which basically installs a binary multilib glibc in order to compile a multilib gcc. So the basic problem has now become someone else's, which may not help you. If there were any glitches, they must have been easy to fix. Maybe honeymak can shed more light on the current state.

ad
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: