practical java programming
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beattie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 9:11 pm    Post subject: practical java programming Reply with quote

How many of you think that doing a project in java instead of c++ is a good idea? I am working on a little program mostly for myself, and was going to write it in java as it's been 4 years since I have done much of anything in c/c++. But then I was thinking that if I bothered to write it, other people might want to use it in the future and not everyone has java/gcj or whatever installed for compiling the app. On the other hand, java makes writing the program easy, kinda like taking balls of programming play-doh and mashing them together. Also since I am pretty mugh just messing around with code at this point, I thought that doing it in c++ would give me a chance to refresh my abilities in that area.

Anyway in short, what are the advantages/disadvantages of writing this type of stuff in java?
des
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squeaking as a Java developer, I am biased towards saying you should do it in Java :) for the following reasons:

There is a healthy Java Open Source community, check out sourceforge, and Jakarta.Apache.org
Java can do just about anything C++ can, if you can take the performance hit, which is usually 20 - 80%, and depends greatly on the code quality.
Java is easier, and IMHO more fun to write.

Some more info about the type of program you are trying to write would be helpfull, tell us what you are doing...
credmp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My idea about this is quite simple:

Java is great, cross platform, web wise etc, clean language but not for guis (SWING sux ass when it comes to performance)

Native compiled code like C++ is great for performance related tasks. GUI I think is best done with Qt and thus C++.

So, pick the category in which you app falls, and decided. Also look at the target group. If it is you.. .then go with what you are familiar..

-- Arjen
steblublu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: practical java programming Reply with quote

Beattie wrote:
How many of you think that doing a project in java instead of c++ is a good idea?

just like any other project the first question is:
"what language is best suited for the task".

as you seem to be familiar with java and c, is there another language that might provide a better interface and api for your task?

tcl/perl/python/ruby and other scripting languages are great for quick file based projects. they also share many similar characteristics, and are pretty easy to learn

btw - what is your "task"?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: