View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lethe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:20 pm    Post subject: gnomeConf.sh not found error Reply with quote

i have gotten this error from several different emerges that i have tried, gaim, galeon, etc... packages that depend on gnome libs:

Code:

configure: error: Could not find the gnomeConf.sh file that is generated by gnome-libs install

i do have gnome-libs installed, 1.4.1.7, but not the rest of the gnome desktop environment, due to this error.

so any advice as to why this file is needed, or where to get it if i am really supposed to have it? i did a search for the filename on my system, it was found twice:

Code:

# find / -name gnomeConf.sh -print 2> /dev/null
/var/tmp/portage/gnome-libs-1.4.1.7/image/usr/lib/gnomeConf.sh
/var/tmp/portage/gnome-libs-1.4.1.7/work/gnome-libs-1.4.1.7/gnomeConf.sh

thanks all
lethe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

google turns up this from the gnome mailing lists. it suggests that i need gnome-libs-devel, but i find nothing matching that name in the portage tree.

anyone can help with this problem? thanks
reverius42
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: gnomeConf.sh not found error Reply with quote

lethe wrote:
Code:
configure: error: Could not find the gnomeConf.sh file that is generated by gnome-libs install

i did a search for the filename on my system, it was found twice:
Code:
# find / -name gnomeConf.sh -print 2> /dev/null
/var/tmp/portage/gnome-libs-1.4.1.7/image/usr/lib/gnomeConf.sh
/var/tmp/portage/gnome-libs-1.4.1.7/work/gnome-libs-1.4.1.7/gnomeConf.sh

Try copying "/var/tmp/portage/gnome-libs-1.4.1.7/image/usr/lib/gnomeConf.sh" to /usr/local/lib (or /usr/lib).

lethe wrote:
it suggests that i need gnome-libs-devel, but i find nothing matching that name in the portage tree.

That's because gnome-libs-devel (and any package named -devel) is a RedHat thing. We don't use those in Gentoo... :)

The ebuild of gnome-libs should take care of all the -devel stuff.
lethe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help. i think it worked. after i copied the file, gnome-vfs installed (i believe that was the dependency that was holding things up before):

Code:

*  gnome-base/gnome-vfs
      Latest version Available: 2.0.1
      Latest version Installed: 2.0.1
      Homepage: http://www.gnome.org/
      Description:
      Gnome Virtual Filesystem

however, i still fail to install gaim and galeon and the others (i forget what), because they still have trouble with gnome-vfs:

Code:

# emerge --pretend gaim

These are the packages that I would merge, in order.

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild    U ] gnome-base/gnome-vfs-1.0.5-r2 to /
[ebuild    U ] gnome-base/control-center-1.4.0.5-r1 to /
[ebuild    U ] gnome-base/gnome-panel-1.4.1 to /
[ebuild  N   ] net-im/gaim-0.59-r2 to /

that U means update, right? does that means she wants to "update" from 2.0.1 to 1.0.5? so anyway, when i emerge gaim, it fails on gnome-vfs:

Code:

file-method.c:32: libgnome/gnome-defs.h: No such file or directory
file-method.c:33: libgnome/gnome-i18n.h: No such file or directory
file-method.c: In function `seek_position_to_unix':
file-method.c:369: warning: implicit declaration of function `_'
file-method.c:369: warning: passing arg 3 of `g_log' makes pointer from integer without a cast
make[3]: *** [file-method.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-vfs-1.0.5-r2/work/gnome-vfs-1.0.5/modules'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-vfs-1.0.5-r2/work/gnome-vfs-1.0.5/modules'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-vfs-1.0.5-r2/work/gnome-vfs-1.0.5'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 16, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

!!! emerge aborting on  /usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome-vfs/gnome-vfs-1.0.5-r2.ebuild .

anyway, thanks for all the help so far. i m sure i ll get through this one.
reverius42
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 6:36 am    Post subject: gnome-vfs Reply with quote

lethe wrote:
that U means update, right? does that means she wants to "update" from 2.0.1 to 1.0.5?

The "U" means upgrade. It is a misnomer in this case... it's only saying upgrade because a gnome-vfs is already installed (2.x). Gnome-vfs exists in two versions simultaneously... in Debian or other distributions, this would be represented as gnome-vfs1.deb (or .rpm), and gnome-vfs2.deb.

In Gentoo, it'll just install both versions at the same time. gnome-vfs 1.x is used with Gnome 1.x, and gnome-vfs 2.x is used with Gnome 2.x, afaik.

lethe wrote:
so anyway, when i emerge gaim, it fails on gnome-vfs:

Code:

file-method.c:32: libgnome/gnome-defs.h: No such file or directory
file-method.c:33: libgnome/gnome-i18n.h: No such file or directory
file-method.c: In function `seek_position_to_unix':
file-method.c:369: warning: implicit declaration of function `_'
file-method.c:369: warning: passing arg 3 of `g_log' makes pointer from integer without a cast
make[3]: *** [file-method.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-vfs-1.0.5-r2/work/gnome-vfs-1.0.5/modules'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-vfs-1.0.5-r2/work/gnome-vfs-1.0.5/modules'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-vfs-1.0.5-r2/work/gnome-vfs-1.0.5'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

!!! Function src_compile, Line 16, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

!!! emerge aborting on  /usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome-vfs/gnome-vfs-1.0.5-r2.ebuild .

I think it's failing because it's missing some key portions of gnome... and it wants a specific version. Try emerging a 1.x version of gnome-libs... possibly "emerge gnome-libs" may work.
puddpunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poke around in the /usr/portage dir and find what the 1.4 ver of gnome-libs is called, then emerge it.

Portage is smart enough to keep gnome 1 & 2 seperate (like KDE) and you shouldn't have any trouble with breaking stuff.
lethe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge gnome-libs did the trick. thanks for the help, and sorry for taking so long to get back on the thread. been away.

i have still another new error before i can emerge gaim. looks like this:

Code:

gcc -O2 -mcpu=i686 -pipe -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-1.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/us               r/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -Wall -Wunused -o gnome-panel-screenshot gnome-panel-screenshot.o -               rdynamic -rdynamic -rdynamic  -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib /usr/lib/libgnomeui.so /usr/lib/libart_lgpl.so /u               sr/lib/libgdk_imlib.so -lSM -lICE -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 /usr/lib/libgnome.so /usr/lib/libgnomesupport.so /               usr/lib/libesd.so /usr/lib/libaudiofile.so -lm -ldb1 -lglade-gnome /usr/lib/libglade.so /usr/lib/libxml.so                -lz -lpng -lz /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf.so /usr/lib/libgtk.so /usr/lib/libgdk.so /usr/lib/libgmodule.so /usr/l               ib/libglib.so -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm
/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lglade-gnome
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [gnome-panel-screenshot] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-panel-1.4.1/work/gnome-core-1.4.1/panel'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-panel-1.4.1/work/gnome-core-1.4.1/panel'

!!! Function src_install, Line 6, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

!!! emerge aborting on  /usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome-panel/gnome-panel-1.4.1.ebuild .

cannot find -lglade-gnome. i wonder what that is... emerge search yields gnome-base/libglade, i have 2.0 installed, maybe i need 1.x? same as before with lib-gnome? lemme try emerge libglade
lethe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, i went and did emerge libglade, and then came back and didd emerge gnome-panel, and it failed with same error.
reverius42
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: libglade Reply with quote

lethe wrote:
No, i went and did emerge libglade, and then came back and didd emerge gnome-panel, and it failed with same error.

Are you sure you emerged the right version of libglade (1.x)? Otherwise you're just replacing the 2.0 version...
wudmx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you are confused right now :-/ ... i would emerge unmerge all gnome things and start from the beginning... just my advice!

wudmx
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: