Fresh links
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Fresh links Reply with quote

I would like a "Links to common issues" thread sticky in documentation tips&tricks.

The thread itself will just have links inside/outside the forum to documentation/solve... for know problems that are asked again & again, anything as long as it's fresh, so the thread should remain small.

Lol, i don't expect users to read it (they never read the forum), but it would be nice for me (i think not only for me, else i wouldn't ask that) to find easy (because they are generally hidden in a thread at a random post answer position) links to answer common threads (and no, you don't have the rights to tell me the search function is working good).

That's samples, but things like that:
- NeddySeagoon's guide to libata for 2.6.34 kernel+ : https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6362608.html#6362608
- I've lost my sd*, hd*, cdrom... : https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6433034.html#6433034
- Help, i've lost menuconfig : https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-845059-highlight-.html

As you see the main reason for that thread is just helping the helpers (you may say i'm lazy, well, yes i am), but when it's time to answer a user that he need to upgrade to libata, you have the choice to goes into a short, quick, maybe bad explanation, or put that link to NeddySeagoon's guide that is instructive, clear and best of all : already made :P

I could have create one and ask it sticky, but it would be better if it's someone that could edit the main thread easy, admins & mods so.
Not to put work on you guys, just to ease updates and to clearly state the thread isn't to the user, but for everyone to alter it.

What do you think ?
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't really see the benefit of this over just using sticky topics for current issues that are affecting several people. As you say most people won't read it and I believe it would quickly get out of date, especially if we're in charge of it ;)

But if you want to maintain such a topic, don't let me put you off.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's plenty thread that cannot be made sticky because the thread isn't useful at all, but in that thread one information is enough good to be remind for later reference/pointing at or even strong enough to be stick, but you cannot stick a part of a thread (sometimes golden things are in fact hidden in another thread and might even be out of subject but still valid & useful)

As a real example, look at the libpng14 sticky thread (might not be still sticky). The thread was sticky for days and people were speaking a lot in it with answer like "yeah i mask it", "yep i've made libpng12 & libpng14 slots"...
So anyone trying to get past the libpng14 update was reading lot of conflictual/tricky things, where hidden on the thread at pos X were the answer from suominen that say "run /usr/sbin/libpng-1.4.x-update.sh". And this help a lot, because he have the dev status above his name, but most people were trying from start to redo the "more or less" stupids things people have tried. When just that answer was enough to correct the problem.

So having somewhere a ref to that post would have been clear & helpful for users. i could use a text file to keep them next to my hands, but it might be better if others users could also put their own links too: i will not have only a text file i own with my links, but useful links from the community, so i was thinking a common thread for everyone is better.

I can do that thread myself, but people will need to contact me to update it, or is there a way that admins/mods could change its content on another user request ? I've read someone say you cannot change anything (i think it was about the <<< thead cases) that is not against the rules in a user thread (dunno why, maybe to not face complain from the user that someone alter his post and what he was saying without consent...). Else it would be just another thread made by me, and i could still do that easier with a text file on my desk

I might try it when i got times (i'm busy those days), if it's not good at all, it will just be forgotten (not my first thread that will end like that)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: