Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why no descriptions or recommendations?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:51 pm    Post subject: Why no descriptions or recommendations? Reply with quote

Why not include short descriptive texts for the various packages on the www.gentoo.org "Packages" page? And perhaps arrange them into specific groups, "ftp-clients", "ftp-servers", etc?

That would simplify things a lot for the Gentoo newbies (me included). While trying to configure a mini-server over here (and checking Gentoo out) I'm spending most of my time trying to find the correct package(s).

And why not even include some recommendations? "For a ftp-,dns-,pop3- and smtp-server we would recommend these packages since they are efficient and relatively easy to configure and works very good with Gentoo. Installation has been verified and this is how we did it ...".

Even though I have been using Linux in various incarnations since '94 it's still difficult to get the hang of a new distribution. Small pointers in various directions would simplify things, a lot.
niyogi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe that this won't be done for the simple reason that it's suppose to be customizable without much bias.

of course members of this forum might be able to point out personal favorites of each of the softwares that they use...

-S
eyevee99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:47 am    Post subject: still Reply with quote

still, they could be arranged in a more userfriendly manner. With perhaps links to project pages etc so people can find out all the info about the package.

:)
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: still Reply with quote

eyevee99 wrote:
With perhaps links to project pages etc so people can find out all the info about the package.

:)

For more information on a package:
Code:
# qpkg -i apache
net-www/apache-1.3.24-r1
        The Apache Web Server [ http://www.apache.org http://www.modssl.org ]

Also, you can search for a package:
Code:
 # emerge -s apache
[ Results for search key : apache ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  net-www/apache
      Latest version Available: 1.3.24-r1
      Latest version Installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Homepage: http://www.apache.org http://www.modssl.org
      Description:
      The Apache Web Server

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but instead of guessing keywords in the package description, like ...
Code:
emerge search "*" | egrep  "*ftp*server*"

It would be a lot a lot easier and also make the Packages page much nicer if there were an option to show the packages in functional groups including the description. It would also be possible to select what packages I perhaps need without having to actually sit in front of the Gentoo installation, when doing preparations and planning.

I know what servers and programs I usually use on RedHat/Mandrake/Debian configurations, but if server X or application Y isn't built and available in package form - I need a replacement and those replacements are currently difficult to find.

I'm absolutely not bashing Gentoo in any way - it's the nicest distribution I've seen in a, very, long while. This is just suggestions and the things I've noticed while installing Gentoo for the very first time.

[In fact, I'm currently installing a backup mailserver on our company using Gentoo which will be put to use as soon as it's configured, tested and ready.]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: