View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:19 am    Post subject: nouveau, dual screen Reply with quote

Hey there,

I've run into a small problem, my setup is: 2 GTX260's, with a 2560*1600 screen and a 1920*1200 screen attached to one of them, and I'm just ignoring the other card in anything but windows.

I've got dual head working with the nouveau driver, with one x screen, using the following xorg.conf:

Code:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X config"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        Option         "PreferredMode"  "1920x1200"
        Option         "Primary"    "True"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor1"
        Option         "PreferredMode"  "2560x1600"
        Option         "LeftOf" "Monitor0"
        Option         "Primary"    "False"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "nouveau"
        BusID       "PCI:2:0:0"
        Option      "monitor-DVI-I-1" "Monitor 0"
        Option      "monitor-DVI-I-2" "Monitor 1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth 24
EndSection

This works fine, however I would much rather have two completely separate screens, as I did under the nvidia drivers, but for the life of me I can't get it to work. Every configuration I've tried with two separate screens results in the same display being cloned to both screens.
An xorg.conf I've tried:

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier     "X conf"
   Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
   Screen       1  "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier   "Monitor0"
   Option         "PreferredMode"  "1920x1200"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier   "Monitor1"
   Option         "PreferredMode"  "2560x1600"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Card0"
   Driver      "nouveau"
   BusID       "PCI:2:0:0"
        Option      "monitor-DVI-I-1" "Monitor 0"
        Option      "monitor-DVI-I-2" "Monitor 1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen0"
   Device     "Card0"
   Monitor    "Monitor0"
   DefaultDepth 24
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen1"
   Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor1"
   DefaultDepth 24
EndSection

The above results in the exact same thing being displayed on both screens (The smaller screen has to bottom and the left of the output cut off)

Is there some reason nouveau would refuse to display separate X screens and instead clone the output to both screens?

Cheers
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said "two completely separate screens" that makes me think you need two instance of X running with two graphic card. But in this case you can't drag a window from one to another monitor. In your xorg.conf, you defined one graphic card not two ( BusID "PCI:2:0:0" ).
But on the other hand you said you attached both monitor to the same gfx card and ignore the other.
So I believe what you want to do is similar what I use now.
For the test, does something like this work with your second xorg.conf?
Code:

xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --auto --output DVI-I-2 --auto --right-of DVI-I-1

If it does you can put it in your autostart script of WM or we may adjust the xorg.conf for that. With this you have two screen which you can drag windows each other. Watch video on one monitor and do something else on the other monitor. Also your WM needs to have xrandr support. Openbox works great here.
Btw, I use nouveau, too.
Raptor85
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally when 2 screens are defined like that, with the other drivers, you get two completely seperate X screens. Mouse can move freely between them but you can't drag windows. Honestly, if you figure it out, post it here, I was trying to get nouveau to work like that for weeks but it just doesn't act like the binary nvidia driver or the vesa driver with it's settings. I had the same issue with it always being cloned when I really wanted 2 seperate X screens on one device, not linked. (it's easy to make it one wide screen, or use xrandr to set the second screen to the right, but it sounds like he wants them to not interact with each other, much like I was trying to do)

It's hard to explain if you've never used a similar setup, but it was really handy to be able to set it up like that using my front projector as the second screen.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using such a setup on my laptop. Both screens have individual desktops and menu bars. But I am using this on an intel chip with KDE4. The other computer, the one with the nvidia card uses a nvidia specific setting through xorg.conf utilizing TwinView. Because it is an old card, the old desktop thing can't use anything newer than my GeForce FX 5200 PCI, the binary drivers do not allow a recent xorg-server. This for I am changing to nouveau today to try it with xorg-server-1.9, and will tell what I found out about the dual screen setting.

btw.: If you set up one screen to be left/right of the other, they aren't "separated". You *should* be able to move mouse/windows freely between them.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have deleted everything from my xorg.conf but the Device Section.

In KDE I tried to set up dual screen like I do it with my (intel driven) laptop: Set the first screen to be on absolute position 0,0 and the second screen to be right of the first.
... nothing... both screens stay cloned.

The trick then was, to have one screen on an absolute position of 0,0 and the second on 1280,0 (bot run 1280x1024 resolution) and then it worked (*). With xorg-server-1.9.0 and latest non-9999 nouveau drivers from portage tree (not x11 overlay) on a nvidia GeForce FX 5200 PCI card.

(*) I bet the KDE System Settings don't do anything more than feed xrandr.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Annoying but now fixed: Everytime the xorg-server starts, both the first monitor was a clone of the second. I had to hit Alt+F2 to fire up systemsettings to fix that.

The solution for me was to add screen and monitor sections to the xorg.conf. The serverlayout now has the main screen (right) at position "1280 0" and the secondary montor (left) at "0 0". The monitor sections got a Position Option, too. Now KDE starts with the right screen configuration.

It seems like nouveau can't handle negative positions, and can not swap the video output. However, it is working like a charm now.
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curiosity, why do you want a dual head which is completely separated with different X instances?
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@keenblade: No, not independent X-Instances, but independent screens in one X-Session. Like Xinerama, but not with the one desktop stretched over two monitors, but the ability to have individual (but connected) desktops. (Like in nVidia TwinView)
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure, In my experiences, it is also about the wm capability. I have openbox. In my setup if I make fullscreen a video, a game or a window, it is not stretched over two monitor. I can choose which monitor it will be full screen. Even I can have the controls (like play, pause, playlist of smplayer) on one monitor and the video shows up on the other monitor in fulscreen. And I can continue to work on other monitor. They are perfectly separated in this regard. Also I use tint2 as panel (taskbar) and it is not stretched. Tint can show separated panels, systray and clock for each monitor. If I drag a window to other monitor, it shows up in the taskbar of the dragged monitor. Also it disappear on the previous taskbar. I don't run two tint2. So it seems the key point is to have xrandr aware wm and programs.
The only thing, I haven't find a way is to display different wallpapers on the monitors. I did not expend time for it, yet. Also sometimes different resolutions can be annoying.
So I think I have individual (but connected) desktops. Is it something different what you want to achieve?
I tried fluxbox and icewm, but their xrandr support was bad, making fulscreen video or apps stretched over screens vs. But in openbox everything works fine.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, keenblade, this is exactly what I meant. :)

I don't know how it works in openbox, but in KDE I can right-click on a desktop, select "Desktop Settings" and have the settings (including wallpapers) for this individual monitor. Maybe openbox has something like that, too? Context-sensitive desktop settings?

At least I am pretty sure that KDE doesn't do anything else but using (x)randr to put up the dual screen, because I can manipulate it with xrandr, and the changes show up in the kde systemsettings as well.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Openbox doesn't deal with wallpapers, so no, it doesn't have anything like the KDE desktop configuration. I use imlibsetroot for setting wallpapers. It's like esetroot, but supports dual screen.
Volatile
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:
Openbox doesn't deal with wallpapers, so no, it doesn't have anything like the KDE desktop configuration. I use imlibsetroot for setting wallpapers. It's like esetroot, but supports dual screen.

And this comment made my day.
Now I use
Code:
`ls ~/images|bogosort -n|head -2| awk '{print "-x " i++ " ~/images/" $0 " "} '|tr -d '\n'|sed 's,^,imlibsetroot ,'`
to set each screen to a different image each time I start X (or press my "change images" key combination).
Thanks for making my xmonad experience perfect!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: