Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
hangs during emerge of kde
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: hangs during emerge of kde Reply with quote

When I do emerge kde, my pc will get well into the build process and just hang. I can never see where it hangs because the monitor blanks after a few minutes of no input. However emerge will finish a few packages before the system hangs, so I have been slowly getting through the whole process. the last little chunk i did I redirected the output to a file and the last command was 'g++', I can post the entire command but I dont have it right now. If the build is interrupted, does that package not get merged? And never in my life have I seen linux just hang(except in X). oh by the way im running on an athlon
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you press a key on the keyboard does the screnn come back? The screen is set to blank out after a few minutes of no imput by default on gentoo. I typicalling just press the down arrow key to get it to come back. If it's not comming back then you're really got a hung system.
michaelb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little modification of Tristam's post, I like to use the shift key to bring my screen back. Reason being, there is almost no time ever where a single press of the shift key will do anything at all to your system, but sometimes arrow keys and such have defined meanings in your console.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad thought. I will probably start doing that as well. I was only using the down key because it was separated from the rest on the keyboard and I could get at it easier when I was comming in from the other room or something. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'yes the computer is plugged in'
Can I please be elevated to a second level tech...
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a second-level tech will need to see your compiler flags to help you beyond 'making sure it's plugged in.'
michaelb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick over your logs for useful bits as well.

We never doubted that your computer was plugged in, but when you are at the console doing your first emerge of X, it is entirely likely that there is no active mouse listener. Therefor, just jiggling the mouse about, a very common move to get the screen to re-activate, will likely not work. Many people, especially linux newbies, don't know that you have to actually press a key on your keyboard to get the screen back, and hence they get the wrong idea of what the problem is. I'm not trying to harsh you or anything, but I just wanted to point out that Tristam's suggestion was in fact the right first thing to try. You never answered his question, either, so I will ask it again. Does pushing a key on the keyboard bring your screen back to life?
barimann
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry man, didnt mean to offend just givin ya shit... The compilation hangs completely - nothing works, no disk activity, no keyboard lights, bang on the keyboard all i like, its gone. it hangs at seemingly random points on seemingly random packages, and it doesnt fail, it locks up. just wondering if anyone has had this happen before. I haven't defined any special flags beyond the
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O3 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-march=i686 -O3 -pipe"
defaults. I have been using linux for a few years and never seen the system just hang on a compilation.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barimann wrote:
it hangs at seemingly random points on seemingly random packages, and it doesnt fail, it locks up. [...] I have been using linux for a few years and never seen the system just hang on a compilation.

https://forums.gentoo.org/faq.php#13
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: