GTA3 Runs but can't load games...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadyMilkman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 7:14 pm    Post subject: GTA3 Runs but can't load games... Reply with quote

I've played most of the game on my win2k partition (yes this is all I had it for, well america's army too). Anyway I was away for the winex 2.1 announcement and found it on the slashdot archives... anywho I said hey! Score! and I emerged the new version and it worked! amazing... the speeds aren't even too bad either. The problem is I can't load my save games from my windows partition. There are a couple of things that I think might be wrong but I was wondering if a win2k that's done this could help me... here we go...

My C drive is NTFS, so that's read only. the system folder is winnt, so I changed the ~/.winex/config to work right with that, but I wasn't sure what to put under the "Profile" value. Right now it's "C:\\Documents\ and\ Settings\\Shady\ Milkman" but I have a feeling that could be my problem. The GTA3 save games are in that folder plus "\\My\ Documents\\GTA3\ Save Files\\".

When I load up gta3 in linux and I go to load game is says all three slots are empty. What do I have to do to be able to load the games?
silente
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 7:53 pm    Post subject: You are right Reply with quote

You are right gta 3 does store its save game files in the my documents\gta3\savegame directory and that is probably the source of your problem. You could try and save a game under linux and then search for that file name to see what directory your winex is actually saving your gta3 games to and then move your save game files to it.
I have a feeling that you will need to move your profile folder and change youe ~/.winex/config file to show where the new location is. when I try and run things of of my ntfs drive I get nothing but errors and it says that it can't find this and that file. moving directories over to my linux drive always fixes these errors because ntfs is as of yet not writable under linux.
ShadyMilkman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I tried making my profile folder in ~/.winex/Profiles but that didn't do it... I have a feeling it's trying to write to c:\Documents and settings which obviously won't work. I'll try fiddling around a little more.
ShadyMilkman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:58 pm    Post subject: Got it! Reply with quote

Hell yeah! I did it. Thanks for the idea... here's what I did for anybody who's trying to get this to work (or maybe I'm the only one stupid enough not to try this in the first place :D)

1) Make a fake_windows dir in my .winex directory, and create "My Documents", "winnt" and "winnt\system"

2) Change my .winex/config to have the C drive pointing at "${HOME}/.winex/fake_windows"

3) copy my save games from my profile\my documents into fake_windows/my documents.

4) Ignore the profile variable

5) Start up gta3 w/ --winver win98 (So it looks in C:\my documents instead of doing profiles).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: