Issues with SunFire 280R Server
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arjay5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Issues with SunFire 280R Server Reply with quote

Hi all, have bought a second hand 280R server that had no graghics card or RSC card fitted.. Managed to sorce these cards and now have problems getting into server when trying to start up..
I am not sure what "if any" OS there is on board, but bought the server in the knowledge that it has Solaris 10 installed.
The issues I currently have are these;

(1} After installing graghics card {which is a X3668A) I get on screen "jupiter login" and then it asks for a password, I don't have the password or the drivers for the graphics card. Can anyone help me here??????.
And yes I'm a newby to servers, trying to learn new skills...

The other issue is getting into the bios to reset the boot to my cdrom drive, how does one do this... can anyone help PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
Thought I would start from scratch and load a fresh OS and configure my own settings and passwords, am looking at loading Open Solaris.

Cheers
Arjay :roll:
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have a floppy drive? Because if it isn't booting from CD, it's far more likely to be already set up to boot from a floppy. And assuming it is you could install something like smart boot manager to an old floppy disk then when you boot from the floppy it'll have an option for letting you boot from the CD.

I used that method many times on computers that the BIOS was too old to boot from CD directly themselves.
Arjay5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Issues with SunFire 280R Server Reply with quote

No it doesn't have a floppy drive, only has a DVD/CD drive.. Any other suggestions to be able to boot or get into the bios to change the boot settings would be good thanks.

Arjay :x
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with SunFire 280R Server Reply with quote

Arjay5 wrote:
No it doesn't have a floppy drive, only has a DVD/CD drive.. Any other suggestions to be able to boot or get into the bios to change the boot settings would be good thanks.

Arjay :x

Code:
stop a

enters the 'bios'

Code:
boot cdrom

should boot from the cd/dvd

My fediverse account: @erm67@erm67.dynu.net
Arjay5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Issues with SunFire 280R Server Reply with quote

Ok thanks for that, but will that still work when I'm still being asked for "jupitor login and password" for the graphics card?.

Cheers
Arjay
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with SunFire 280R Server Reply with quote

Arjay5 wrote:
Ok thanks for that, but will that still work when I'm still being asked for "jupitor login and password" for the graphics card?.

Cheers
Arjay
You're not being asked for a login and password for the graphics card. The computer you bought was given the network name of jupitor and the computer is asking for a login name and password. That's not at all related to the graphics card.

You should pull all the plugs/connectors for the cdrom drive from the motherboard, then reconnect them making sure they're seated properly and try to boot. If that doesn't work, try swapping the drive with something newer as the drive might be broken or old enough that it isn't able to read the type of burned media you used.
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with SunFire 280R Server Reply with quote

Arjay5 wrote:

Cheers
Arjay

Sorry I forgot to say, turn it off and back on as soon it starts booting hit stop A ....

My fediverse account: @erm67@erm67.dynu.net
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

Location: Klamath Falls, Jefferson, USA, North America, Midgarth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one other thing while doing your research, IIRC. the 280r is an ultra 60. in a rackmount case.

nqs

As I see it -- An irregular blog, Improved with new location

To delete French language packs from system use 'sudo rm -fr /'
secretcorporation
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Issues with SunFire 280R Server Reply with quote

Arjay5 wrote:
Hi all, have bought a second hand 280R server that had no graghics card or RSC card fitted.. Managed to sorce these cards and now have problems getting into server when trying to start up..
I am not sure what "if any" OS there is on board, but bought the server in the knowledge that it has Solaris 10 installed.
The issues I currently have are these;

(1} After installing graghics card {which is a X3668A) I get on screen "jupiter login" and then it asks for a password, I don't have the password or the drivers for the graphics card. Can anyone help me here??????.
And yes I'm a newby to servers, trying to learn new skills...

The other issue is getting into the bios to reset the boot to my cdrom drive, how does one do this... can anyone help PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
Thought I would start from scratch and load a fresh OS and configure my own settings and passwords, am looking at loading Open Solaris.

Cheers
Arjay :roll:

I used to have to work with these, they are horrible. Why are you using one? Any fairly recent PC server exceeds the performance of these systems.
Arjay5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, have tryed hitting stop a and didn't work, can't get past whats on screen.

(2X Ultra Sparc -111+), Keyboard present
Copyright 1998-2002 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved
Open boot 4.5, 4096 Memory installed, Serial #53879438.
Ethernet address 0:3:ba:36:22:8e, Host ID: 8336228E.

bOOT DEVICE: /PCI8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/disk@w21000004cf96a55b,0:a
File and args:
Sun Release 5.10 version Generic_139555-08 64 bit Copy right 1983-2009 Sun Microsystems Inc.
Warning consconfig cannot find driver for screen device/pci@8,700000/TSI,gfxp@3
Can't find driver for frame buffer
Hostname jupiter
Reading ZFS config: done
Mounting ZFS filesystems: (5/5)
jupiter console login: Jun 22 13:31:47 jupiter sendmail {523}: My unqulified host name (jupiter) unknown; sleeping for retry
Jun 22 13:33:27 jupitersendmail {523} unable to qualify my own domain name (jupiter)-- using short name.

Can anyone help me to get into the bios to reset boot to cdrom as I want to reformat to open solaris, sserver won't go past whats on screen....

Cheers Arjay
:cry:
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, just because it won't boot from cdrom doesn't mean it's because of the BIOS.

You could have a drive that doesn't work anymore or drive cables that aren't seated properly.
Arjay5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Issues with SunFire 280R Server Reply with quote

Have already checked cables and changed cdrom drive with the same result.

Cheers Arjay
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop A should work at the login prompt too.

Could be it simply doesn't recognize the CD/DVD.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Off the Wall to Gentoo on Sparc.
Arjay5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Issues with SunFire 280R Server Reply with quote

Hi again, am confused :x :roll:, Stop A.... in the manual it sounds like the word stop is on the keyboard (NOT), OR DO i SIMPLY TYPE THIS IN ???????????...
If so, have tryed this and its not working... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....
aderesch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with SunFire 280R Server Reply with quote

Arjay5 wrote:
in the manual it sounds like the word stop is on the keyboard (NOT), OR DO i SIMPLY TYPE THIS IN ?

You need a special Sun keyboard -- they all have a dedicated "Stop" key. I assume this box takes a USB keyboard and you plugged in a regular one?

ad

Edit: Google says the 280R indeed wants a USB keyboard, so you will have to look for a Sun Type 6 keyboard (or Type 7 would presumably also be o.k.).

Last edited by aderesch on Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arjay5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Issues with SunFire 280R Server Reply with quote

Ok yes am using a typical keyboard, thanks for that... Any way around getting into the system without buying a Sun keyboard???, if not where do I get one from???.

Cheers
Arjay
aderesch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with SunFire 280R Server Reply with quote

Arjay5 wrote:
Ok yes am using a typical keyboard, thanks for that... Any way around getting into the system without buying a Sun keyboard???, if not where do I get one from???.

You could always setup a serial console and unplug the keyboard. The same effect as Stop-A can then be achieved by sending a break (how to do this depends on you terminal program, I usually use minicom).
Otherwise you can buy these keyboards for example on ebay, maybe try a local Linux User Group...

ad
Arjay5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thank you for that, you have been very helpful, will try and get a keyboard and mouse suited to SunFire on Trade me and try from there.

Cheers

Arjay :D
aderesch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NotQuiteSane wrote:
one other thing while doing your research, IIRC. the 280r is an ultra 60. in a rackmount case.

Just so that nobody gets confused: Nope, you're thinking of an Ultra Enterprise 220R -- one(?) generation earlier.

ad
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

Location: Klamath Falls, Jefferson, USA, North America, Midgarth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderesch wrote:
NotQuiteSane wrote:

Just so that nobody gets confused: Nope, you're thinking of an Ultra Enterprise 220R -- one(?) generation earlier.

ad

Yeah, as soon as he said it uses USB I knew that was wrong

NQS (who's newest sparc is currently a ultra 30, so can't comment on usb keyboards)

As I see it -- An irregular blog, Improved with new location

To delete French language packs from system use 'sudo rm -fr /'
Arjay5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Problems loading Solaris 10 on my SunFire 280R Reply with quote

hI All,
can anyone tell me why I can't type anything into the password section after Solaris 10 installation has prompted me to enter username???....
Can type in username, but it won't allow me to type anything after prompting me to enter a password.
Just for further information, I entered a host name with and without a password and end up with the same problem nearing finalising the install...

PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP!!!!!...

Cheers
Arjay
thskyt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Problems loading Solaris 10 on my SunFire 280R Reply with quote

Arjay5 wrote:
can anyone tell me why I can't type anything into the password section after Solaris 10 installation has prompted me to enter username???....
Can type in username, but it won't allow me to type anything after prompting me to enter a password.
Just for further information, I entered a host name with and without a password and end up with the same problem nearing finalising the install...

Have you installed a new OS or are you still trying to log into the original one?
If you're still using the original one, remember that the Solaris login prompt won't display asterisks for each letter in your password.

aderesch wrote:
NotQuiteSane wrote:

Yes. The 280R is the rack version of a Blade 1000/2000. Insert an RSC-card and it'll identify itself as a 280R - remove it and it'll be a Blade 1000.
The RSC is pretty much the only difference between the two.

/thskyt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: