Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
dsl install with pppoe scripts on ISP CD-ROM?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikinovak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: dsl install with pppoe scripts on ISP CD-ROM? Reply with quote

Hi,

After some time on Mandrake, Slackware and Debian, I wanted to give Gentoo a try. My last distro was a Debian sid installed via FTP, so Gentoo seems to be my thing. I already posted a question about this somewhere, but what I want to know precisely is this:

I have a DSL connection with Wanadoo France. They have some pppoe scripts ready on their CD (nice, huh?), and I'm sort of used to these scripts.

What I did on my Debian: 1) install & configure base system 2) mount my Wanadoo CD 3) copy pppoe scripts 4) configure everything, and 5) install via FTP.

There are five pppoe files that go either in /usr/local/bin or in /etc/ppp.

QUESTION: At what stage in the install procedure can I copy and configure my pppoe scripts? The installation instructions on this site (see home page -> x86 install) go from (1) "About the install" to (17) "Installation completed!"

Go easy and be verbose. I'm a writer, not a hacker.

Thanks,

Kiki Novak
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gentoo install process requires network access if you plan on a stage 1 or 2 install; with stage 3, you can get away without it until the first reboot (at which point you would have your custom kernel, hopefully including network support). Thus, you would probably want to get your net working (snicker) when it tells you to run ifconfig and all that jazz.

Anyway, this thread details how to get pppoe running on the Gentoo install CD, since it's not entirely trivial. There's a lot of other information about this scattered throughout the forums; search is your friend.
kikinovak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well well,

How about including this precious information somewhere in your install doc pages? I guess there are quite a lot of people out there who would like to install Gentoo via DSL without an MBA in Computer Engineering. I read the above mentioned thread and must admit that I only found the usual techno-laconism that doesn't mean much to an average user like me. RTFM is okay with me, but STFFATTMSOTFIYFT (Search The F**** Forum And Try To Make Sense Of The Fragmentary Information You Found There) is asking too much of an average user like me.

Thanks,

Kiki Novak
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kikinovak wrote:
I read the above mentioned thread and must admit that I only found the usual techno-laconism that doesn't mean much to an average user like me. RTFM is okay with me, but STFFATTMSOTFIYFT (Search The F**** Forum And Try To Make Sense Of The Fragmentary Information You Found There) is asking too much of an average user like me.

Sorry, I didn't mean that. ;) I meant that some people have figured out how to do it, but I can't find their posts right now, and I haven't done it myself, so I can't help you too much.

(I have DSL, but I got a DSL router, which means that the computer doesn't need to worry about the DSL-related things, just to push packets over ethernet. Works great that way...)
kikinovak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. And do you people at Gentoo plan to bring out an install CD that works with DSL? Say, in a near or reasonably intermediate future? I guess I can wait until then 8)

Cheers,

Kiki Novak
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read somewhere that 1.4 will have it. Though I don't know how 'credible' the information was. Was mentioned in some thread.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt someone here hack an iso with pppoe support ?...thought i remembered reading a thread and the iso was available on an ftp
juclesia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't take this as an offense, but maybe you should ::read:: the answers to your threads, even if they've only been posted yesterday, kikinovak.

i already quoted the links in this this thread.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUPE
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locking this thread in favor of this duplicate:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=11359

Please do not post the same topic to a forum multiple times.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: