Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Best march settings for an athlon XP.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
|ghost|
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: Best march settings for an athlon XP. Reply with quote

Ok, at the risk of being locked I'm posting this :). I've been thru miles of posts about cflags and march commands and found lots of athlon specific code but no athlonxp information. I plan to totally redo my linux install when 1.4 comes out, and I'd like to do it right this time. So, can anyone give me the proper march settings and cflags for an athlon xp 1600+?. I'd like to have gento compiled specifically for that processor, I don't care if it breaks it on another architecture. I do a lot of video editing and gaming so any optimization I can get would be helpful. :)

Also, has anyone started a list of march and cflag commands for differentt processors? That would be helpful.

Thanks,
|ghost|
therobot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I'm pretty sure the march flag for an athlon xp is - athlon-xp
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you change the flag can you run emerge -e world to recompile everything with the new cflag?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Best march settings for an athlon XP. Reply with quote

|ghost| wrote:
So, can anyone give me the proper march settings and cflags for an athlon xp 1600+?.

As therobot mentioned, -march=athlon-xp has been available starting in GCC 3.1. It's described here. Some other optimization-related GCC documentation is here. These links are to the 3.1 manual.

Quote:
Also, has anyone started a list of march and cflag commands for differentt processors? That would be helpful.

And it would be even more helpful if it was all in the same place, rather than in lots of different little overlapping threads, so how about using CFLAGS Central?

Quote:
Ok, at the risk of being locked I'm posting this :)

Yep. You yourself mentioned how helpful it would be to have a central list of this sort of information, so I hope you won't get too upset.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: