Stage 1 install thru dialup/LAN
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesshuang
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:01 pm    Post subject: Stage 1 install thru dialup/LAN Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I just downloaded the Stage 1 install file for gentoo. Installation is stopped at emerge portage. I have a dialup connection, and my modem is a winmodem, however, I have linux drivers for it. Is there anyway I can download the packages with the winmodem and drivers at Stage 1? I also have another computer in the same LAN that I can configure to connected and share the internet connection. Would it be better if I shared the dialup connection over the LAN and downloaded from there? How would I configure the other computer (win2k) to proxy the connection over to the installing computer?

thx everyone.
-James

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

support for your modem is unlikely to be in the boot kernel, so you may have to do some fiddling. I'm in a similar position except that my modem is an isapnp modem and, while the module for it is present, I can't seem to get the modem "active". I'd suggest reconfiguring the kernel and then burning a new cd. You'll need to include the driver for your winmodem however you normally do when recompiling a kernel.

To recompile the kernel you'll have to get hold of kernel sources for the closest kernel you can get. I'm not at my linux box at the moment, so forgive me if I do this from memory. You'll need to build the kernel, keeping as close as you can to the original boot kernel so as not to mess anything up accidentally, then replace the kernel on the cd with the new one, not forgetting to mount the rescue image and put the kernel modules in the correct place in there (otherwise the new kernel won't be able to find them).

As for your other idea, of accessing the internet via your LAN, that would probably work quite well, but I haven't a clue what you would need to do to set it up. It would almost certainly be easier than messing around with the kernel on the cd.

Sorry to be so vague. I'm in the process of sorting something like this out myself. I suspect that I might be able to get it to work by including isapnp support in the kernel rather than as a module, but only time and testing will tell.
JHuizingh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharing connections in win2k is easy. Right click on network neighborhood and choose properties. Your dialup connection should be there, and you want to choose the properties of that connection. Somewhere in there will be a box to check if you want to enable internet connection sharing. Easy. You should be able to bring up your network card on the gentoo computer using dhcp and you'll be all set.
jamesshuang
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Got it working alright Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the help, I found that by using Win2k's ICS, you can easily get emerge working correctly, just like the last post. Just as a word of advice for anyone else reading this post, get Stage 3 is you want to do it off dial up. Downloading 1 massive file and then compiling is a lot less time consuming than downloading millions of small files and compiling them separately. Besides, with Stage 3, you can quickly compile the kernel and your modem would be working too for the rest of the install. Just stick to Stage 3.
-James
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: