View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seektheguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:42 am    Post subject: PDF support for Mozilla Reply with quote

Ok, first off, I'd like to say that Adobe's unix/linux install instructions for their plugin are the worst I've ever seen for a linux program. They say "Install Reader 5.0.6 by running the INSTALL script." I mean, come on. I run that script and get this:

Code:
install: too few arguments
Try `install --help' for more information.

So, I tried looking at the --help. I figured that I probably had to have a source and a destination. So, I put in the say common.tar as the source and /acrobat as the dest. Of course, that's not going to work, since all it really does it take the original file and copy it to the destination you select. What good is this? Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, and perhaps how to get the plugin successfully integrated in mozilla? Hehe, sorry for sounding kind of mad, but all of this stuff is fun when you're a newbie...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any reason to not just emerge it?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use the Acrobat plugin for Mozilla, so just a generic comment: /usr/bin/install is an old BSD command often used called by the "install" target of makefiles.

I don't think that's what the instructions are talking about, if your capitalization is accurate. They probably mean to run
Code:
./INSTALL
at the top level of the unpacked tarball. Does there look like a viable shell script named INSTALL somewhere in there?
Seektheguru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to emerge acrobat and got nothing, probably since my portage tree isn't updated. But, I can't do that either... Anyway, I did ./INSTALL and got it to work right, went through their install process and then copied nppdf.so to the mozilla plugins folder /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/. I can open pdf documents successfully with their reader, however, they have to be on my hard drive, which doesn't do very well for filling out online pdf forms and such. So, any other suggestions as to getting it working in mozilla?
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, Acrobat Reader does not allow you to fill out pdf forms. You need Approval for this, which is like a US$40 product, the last time I checked.

If it works on a local file and not off a web page, you can always download the file by right-clicking on the link and then opening it up in Acrobat Reader.
Seektheguru wrote:
...however, they have to be on my hard drive, which doesn't do very well for filling out online pdf forms and such. So, any other suggestions as to getting it working in mozilla?
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the current portage tree has an acroread-5.06.ebuild that will allow you to emerge Reader.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: