Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can I run Quake III (Win) under Linux w/out wine or winex?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chevymoon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Can I run Quake III (Win) under Linux w/out wine or winex? Reply with quote

I have emerged winex, copied the necessary pak file to the /opt/quake3 directory, and tried to start Q3 with winex. It's no go. I apologize for the vague reference to errors without actually posting any of them, but I am at work at the moment. What I really need is an answer to my initial question, and, if it can be done, where would I find that installation guide?

If I'm stuck with winex, where would I find a detailed "how to" that I can reference to get it going? I have tried to search the Gentoo forums for a straight-forward, step-by-step description of the setup with no luck.

In every other case, the forums have helped me get the answers I need. I started setting up Gentoo a couple of weeks ago, and I've learned so much more about Linux than I did with Mandrake. The games are the last major hurdle.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you emerged quake3 and are trying to run it under WineX? I'm pretty sure the Quake3 ebuild is a native Linux binary, which would probably be the source of your problem. ;)
chevymoon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair enough. I'm a newbie. how do I make the ebuild work? I tried without running without winex as well. can you point me to the step-by-step instructions? Does it require a Linux version of Q3?
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of a step-by-step, and I don't play Quake 3, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help. :roll:

chevymoon wrote:
Does it require a Linux version of Q3?

The data files are the same between both the Windows and Linux version; emerge quake3 installs the Linux version, so you already have it.
chr1z
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at first do an

Code:
emerge quake3

then copy your windows quake3 folder to /opt/quake3

then simply do an

Code:
/opt/quake3/quake3

to start the game

thats how i did it :>
trolley
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to copy the WHOLE windows directory.

Here's the offical install guide: http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/q3a/INSTALL Just change directory names as appropriate (I haven't installed with the ebuild so I don't know the directory structure.
Tharkun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*argh* Or just fucking *READ*. Why do you think do I echo instructions on how to get it to run after the emerge completes ? Here it is again for you:

--
You need to copy pak0.pk3 from your
Quake3 CD into /opt/quake3/baseq3.
Or if you got a Windows installation
of Q3 make a symlink to save space.

Note that only users in the group
'games' can play quake3.
--
chevymoon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps you should refer back to the word "newbie" that I used. It means, among other things, that the jargon used (see "ebuild" and "winex") is a little on the foreign side. I can see more than a few people being turned off by your crappy attitude. I'm sure you get asked the same goddamned questions daily, but if it irritates you so fucking much, leave the goddamned forum.

Regards

chevy
chevymoon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your help, delta407, fatwreckfan, and chr1z. I was able to get it to work.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say this... I first tried to emerge the quake3 program but it wouldn't work for some reason, complaining about a default.cfg file.

I snagged the linux install from id, ran it, popped the files in from my quake3 cd and it went fine. I am in the games group, also.

It isn't that easy.
chevymoon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'nuff said. I freely admit to having overlooked the obvious, but, as you say, it's not that simple. I guess my main issue with Tharfuck is his pissy attitude toward those who wish to be rid of Winblows and have gone so far as to take the Linux plunge. In his defense, after having searched the forums, his is not the only bad attitude. I can appreciate some frustration with newbies' inability to grasp what seems so damned obvious to them, but the folks have got to chill. We're here to get some answers. I'd like to express gratitude to those who give their time and effort to supply those answers.
Tharkun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey maybe I was quite rude I admit that _but_ you gotta understand me too.

When you emerge quake3 you get the message I pasted here which tells you what to do. If it doesn't work after doing all that it's ok with me and I won't be rude to anyone.

Once you get better with Linux and start to help other ppl you will notice that it just plain sucks when ppl don't read the documentation and then all you get is "nothing works now help me".

@arkane
That default.cfg problem was probably due to the missing pak0.pk3 (which includes the default.cfg) so you probably just forgot to read the instructions too. If that was not the case maybe it was the old ebuild which had errors in it. If it was none of that it would be great to tell me what went wrong so I can make the ebuild better (it works for me and many others).
chevymoon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that is becoming clearer as I go along with Linux is that finding the "root" of the problem usually involves several steps. For example, while you do state in the documentation that :

You need to copy pak0.pk3 from your
Quake3 CD into /opt/quake3/baseq3.
Or if you got a Windows installation
of Q3 make a symlink to save space.

Note that only users in the group
'games' can play quake3.

I had to figure several things out additionally: how to mount my cd properly, explore the "symlink" idea (which required that I figure out why I couldn't see my windows partition), and understand how to use the "useradd" and "usermod" commands. So, for me it wasn't as simple as you suggested. And, as it turned out, I did screw up by not placing the pak0.pk3 in the baseq3 directory. I had it in /opt/quake3.

As I said last post, I understand some frustration. I've been rather frustrated myself trying to learn a new OS. All is cool on my front...
Tharkun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to know how to mount anyway (you should have learned that before. It's always "learn the basics then the rest is easy").

If you had read what the ebuild printed you could have asked "How do I mount my cd/windows partition. How do I add me to that group". Of course that questinos might make some other ppl angry *hehe* but you could have read some tutorial about basic linux commands. And after all you figured out how to do it anyway haven't you ?
chevymoon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that's exactly what I'm saying. I DID search the forums to find answers about my windows partition, permissions, etc... without posting a topic on the forums. I DO need to know these things, but sometimes you don't know you have a problem until you're presented with it. There was no real need to see the windows partition before the suggestion to symlink was made to me. And I don't think it's realistic to learn all of the basic commands before you actually put them into practice. And it's also unrealistic to expect that you won't make mistakes with them once you've been exposed to them. That's the basics of learning...

It didn't help that I confused the issue of winex with the q3 ebuild. delta407 politely pointed out that mistake.

My point is that, for a newbie like myself, the process is more convoluted than simply moving a file here, issue a command there, and "bam"! you're in like flynn.

Could you please acknowledge that?
Tharkun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I haven't said anything about winex just about the msg from the ebuild ...

I know that it is more complicated for a newbie, I was one too ...
Craigo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Slightly off topic Reply with quote

Is it possible to modifiy the ebuild to install quake 3 elsewhere on the system? I am sure of this!
Tharkun
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure you could, whyever you'd like to do it (just have a look at the ebuild file in /usr/portage/app-games/quake3/). It's a binary only package which gentoo therefore install in /opt.

You have to change the directories it installs the various files to there. Of course you need to do that to the quake3-cpma and -osp ebuilds too if you want to use them.
ASCI Blue
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want an easy way to mount that CD drive I'd advise Gkrellm and set it up so you can just click to mount. I find it to be very useful.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: