Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

experiment:
if you have "splashimage" in grub.conf, comment it out as in: #splashimage (hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought I'd add my two cents because this was v annoying. I never had this happen before, was last using 2.6.31 zen 9, nvidia 185-something, fbsplash, xdm isn't installed (I use e17's login mgr entrance).

few weeks ago I loaded 2.6.33 zen1, patched with latest fbcondecor (maybe, the patch file is there but don't recall if it was needed) and had to update nvidia to 195.36.15 for 2.6.33.

then for the first time in ages boot finishes, starts entrance but instead I just had the b/w speckled bg like for twm w/just a big x cursor. kill X, restart entrance and things work ok. what seemed weird was even if I logged in to a console and manually started entrance, it just wouldn't work - X always had to be started/killed once then restarts worked fine.

found this "remove fadeout" tip here and now everything works again.
isolationism
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
experiment:
if you have "splashimage" in grub.conf, comment it out as in: #splashimage (hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

Negative; this has no effect on the problem. I don't think this is the same splash green that's being referred to anyway, though; other people's problem sounds like it originates from the "fade" transition from the framebuffer to X video support, but that's not the case here, as I do not use the framebuffer at all while booting.
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAN this is fkn annoying. remove fadeout worked so upgraded 2.6.33 zen1 to 2.6.33 zen2. make oldconfig to start, installed, re-emerge'd same nvidia and now entrance/X fails to start again the first time. reboot to 2.6.33 zen1 and entrance/X start.

rebuilt the splash theme I boot with after starting 2.6.33 zen2, reboot and still fails.

reboot to 2.6.33 zen1 and now it fails.

remade splash theme again, boot 2.6.33 zen1 and it again works. brother.

edit: fwiw if I boot w/o fbsplash then 2.6.33 zen2 sees X/entrance start fine. I diff'd the zen1,2 sources wrt fbsplash and they're the same.

grub.conf zen2 entry was a copy of zen1's so if removing fadeout worked for zen1 I don't understand why it didn't for zen2. I realize fbsplash isn't everyone's cause but it seems to have something to do with my problem.
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never should've put my first reply in this ticket :) incredibly, last night after booting w/o fbsplash and seeing things work then posting, today I boot up the same cfg that worked last night and big shock, the problem is back.
isolationism
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still dealing with this problem daily, and as I said, I now have no bootsplash whatsoever of any kind. The only reason I'm not freaking out is that it's little more than an inconvenience; I just hit Alt-F1, sign in, and sudo /etc/init.d/xdm restart and it's fixed. Annoying, but thankfully not as crippling as, say, not having XWindows at all.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=295918

baselayout2?

possible fix is start consolekit before hald see https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6268348.html#6268348
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah in the scheme of things it's no big deal :) however I've been waiting for ages to upgrade to 2.6.32/3 for this intolerable 64b i/o prob I've had for ~2 yrs now.

2.6.31 zen x had super fixes in this regard however the timer settings I had been using now cause vbox to run at 40% cpu when idle, and a particular win app drives up cpu temp by 5C. one big thing fixed, new little things messed up :)

so I thought I'd give 2.6.33 a try which of course now vbox modules won't compile w/o being patched so I jump through that hoop. proprietary nvidia also won't compile so had to go to 195 which performs worse than 18x I was using; and both seem to require manually linking autoconf.h in src tree.

*finally* ready to give everything a looksee and now bang, entrance/X no longer start. so it's true this one thing is a small matter but trying to get rid of this damn i/o prob is turning out to be a bigger headache than just suffering with it.
Gankfest
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isolationism wrote:
I'm still dealing with this problem daily, and as I said, I now have no bootsplash whatsoever of any kind. The only reason I'm not freaking out is that it's little more than an inconvenience; I just hit Alt-F1, sign in, and sudo /etc/init.d/xdm restart and it's fixed. Annoying, but thankfully not as crippling as, say, not having XWindows at all.

do you have sys-auth/policykit installed if so then what is the config of:

/etc/init.d/consolekit
/usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
/etc/conf.d/xdm
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
/usr/lib64/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
/var/log/Xorg.0.log

Are you using nvidia, ati, or intel/any other driver, what version of xorg-server do you have, so many variables that are affected by this bug the more info given the better solution given.

Thanx Paradox(>")>

Everyone has to start somewhere, it depends on where you end up that counts! (>")>
Da Fox
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first off, sorry for the late reply. I was waiting to see if there would be any progress on the bug-report,
but it is eerily quiet on the gentoo bug tracker lately (and not just for this bug...).

No, I don't have policykit installed:
Code:

$ eix -I policykit
No matches found.

I don't have any of these either:
Code:
# file /etc/init.d/consolekit /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc /usr/lib64/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
/etc/init.d/consolekit:      cannot open `/etc/init.d/consolekit' (No such file or directory)
/usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc: cannot open `/usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc' (No such file or directory)
/usr/lib64/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0: cannot open `/usr/lib64/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0' (No such file or directory)

/etc/conf.d/xdm:
Code:
$ cat /etc/conf.d/xdm | grep -v '^#\|^$'
CHECKVT=7
DISPLAYMANAGER="slim"
NEEDS_HALD="auto"

I am using the opensource radeon driver, xf86-video-ati, usually the latest git version, now a few weeks old git version (not much has happened in xf86-video-ati lately, currently all development is taking place in the in-kernel DRM module it seems). Kernel versions don't seem to matter, as stated before.

finally: xorg.conf and /var/log/xorg.0.log.

JGBE, a Java based GameBoy Emulator
isolationism
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue mysteriously stopped happening to me about a week ago after some package upgrades. I'm still suspicious as I suspect above all else it is simply an issue of timing. I'm going to keep watching the thread in the event it does rear its ugly head again.
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isolationism wrote:
This issue mysteriously stopped happening to me about a week ago after some package upgrades.

mind saying what they were (old and new revs)? after my 2.6.33 upgrade when the problem first appeared, I went back to my 2.6.31 setup and over hundreds of boots it hasn't happened once.

I upgraded to 2.6.34 a few days ago (forced to upgrade nvidia-driver to 195.x, which also added libvdpau) and right away the problem is back.
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might as well add this is resolved for me. I patched nvidia 185 to compile with 2.6.34, removed libvdpau that 19x installs and my login mgr is back to starting x just fine. if it is a timing-related thing, something about those two nvidia items seems to be involved (in my case anyway).
ahgblopes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

three years later... this is happening to me now, after i removed wicd and installed networkmanager...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: