sed just stopped working......
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave_euser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: sed just stopped working...... Reply with quote

I have no idea what has happened.....but sed is no longer functioning......I get the following error messages during an ebuild script (almost all use sed at some point to modify makefiles for a particular system):

Code:
sed: file conftest.s1 line 4: Unterminated `s' command
sed: couldn't write 42 items to {standard output}: Broken pipe

or....
Code:
sed: file conftest.s1 line 4: Unterminated `s' command
sed: Couldn't close {standard output}

Anyone have any ideas? I've got sed-3.02.80-r3 installed (most recent)

Dave
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a problem with that particular ebuild.
dave_euser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: circular dependancy Reply with quote

Doesn't that mean I have a circular dependancy......?
The sed ebuild requires sed to create the makefiles, but sed doesn't work.......guess I should do it by hand?
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: circular dependancy Reply with quote

dave_euser wrote:
Doesn't that mean I have a circular dependancy......?

No, Portage detects those. :D

dave_euser wrote:
The sed ebuild requires sed to create the makefiles, but sed doesn't work.......guess I should do it by hand?

Are you sure sed is actually broken? The above errors sound like problem with the ebuild of whatever you were merging.
dave_euser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: not just ebuilds..... Reply with quote

It's not just this ebuild - it's everything - things I've tried to emerge:

-sed
    -kde-base
    -sh-utils
    -qt-3.04
    -libpng

I've also tried to build gnomeicu from gnome CVS - no luck either - same error messages about sed for everything........almost all the ebuilds (plus alot of normal configure scripts) seem to use sed to replace strings inside a default makefile in order to adapt it to whatever the user specified for the installation path, etc at the command line.......

Dave
dave_euser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:32 am    Post subject: solution Reply with quote

Just to help anyone who's out there with the same problem and searches through the forums.....

Basically, I had an environment vairable in my ~/.bashrc file that I had edited with an editor that instead of the viewer wrapping the line, it actually placed a ^M character. This caused major havoc with my build toolchain, resulting in an incorrect configure.setup being created, with also led to a zero-length makefile, which is where my problems really manifested themselves........sed was trying to operate on nothing.......so it borked.

The solution: go through any place that you set environment variables and ensure that there are no additional ^M characters were there shouldn't be.

Enjoy, and thanks for the help.....

Dave
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one :)

What editor did the damage? Also, "od -c" can reveal interesting things about files that modern editors try to hide...
dave_euser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 4:20 am    Post subject: damaging editor Reply with quote

honestly, I can't remember........I have a feeling it might have been gedit (from gnome2), which probably defaults to wrapping lines.......I use gedit, nano, or the editor in midnight commander......so one of those three......but I'm leaning towards gedit
mikulus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this post dave_euser. I had a similar problem. During the initial build in stage 1 I was getting the same error. Your post steered me in the right direction. It turned out I was typing
Code:
nano /etc/make.conf
to edit my USE and other settings, whereas, I should have typed
Code:
nano -w /etc/make.conf
Once I read your post I used -w and placed all USE variables on 1 line. Did not experience this problem afterwards. Thanks again.
dave_euser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: no problem Reply with quote

glad to be of some use......
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: