"Jump to New Post" Link
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JHuizingh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 11:13 pm    Post subject: "Jump to New Post" Link Reply with quote

Is it possible to get a "Jump to New Post" Link put at the top of a forum thread? LinuxQuestions.org has one of these. It is very nice if you get an email notification that there's a new post to a thread, then you go to that thread and jump straight to the new post instead of scrolling through the whole thing to find it. Is this possible with the software the forum is using? I don't think it would add much overhead, since the forum already keeps track of when there's a new post and emails the user.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding any features to phpbb makes upgrading unpleasant.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already have this feature. Whenever a thread has a new post in it, it will show up with the [img:d4841e7c12]https://forums.gentoo.org/templates/subSilver/images/icon_newest_reply.gif[/img:d4841e7c12] image next to it. Click on that image and you'll be taken directly to the new post.

--kurt
JHuizingh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I might be incredibly dense, but I looked all over the top of the page of this thread, but I do not see that image. It should be there, because I came to this page by using the link in the email I got. Am I missing something?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that 'icon' is viewable from any main page of a forum. The link is also only viewable if there is a new post in a thread. If you see a black arrow pointing to the right towards a yellow piece of 'paper', that is the link.

If you would like, create a thread in /dev/null to test it.
JHuizingh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I see what you are talking about now. That is not exactly what I was asking about. I was wondering if a link could be put in on the actual thread page, as in the page that you are reading this on right now. At least one forum user would find this helpful, and probably many others :).
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that, refer to my first post here. There are a number of features I'd like to see added, but maintenance on them when upgrading isn't ideal.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JHuizingh wrote:
OK, I see what you are talking about now. That is not exactly what I was asking about. I was wondering if a link could be put in on the actual thread page, as in the page that you are reading this on right now. At least one forum user would find this helpful, and probably many others :).

OK, but why? There are two primary ways to view a new post. One is by browsing the topics in an index of a specific forum. If you use that way, simply click on the image like I mentioned above and you'll be taken directly to the new post.

The second way, which seems to be the way you're using, is by clicking on the link that is sent to you via email notification. That, too, takes you to the new post in a thread. For instance, here's the link that I received via email for this thread:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=61978#61978

Click on that and you get taken directly to your earlier post -- not the top of the thread. (if you're on a slow connection, make sure you wait until the entire page loads -- some browsers first load the top of the page then, after the rest of the page loads, jump down to the link specified by the anchor tag.)

So I guess I don't see how placing yet a third link at the top of the page would change anything. If you train yourself to use one of the two methods above, it should work fine.

Or am I missing something?

--kurt
JHuizingh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... I see now what you are talking about with the anchor tag. It doesn't work for me apparently. I use web-access for my mail, and the #{number} is there in the link in the email, but when I click on the link it doesn't get put in the url in the address bar and I stay at the top of the page. That would be why I didn't use the feature, it doesn't work for me :). It worked for me when I clicked the url that you put in the post, but the links in the emails don't work. I guess if this problem only affects me, don't worry about it.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JHuizingh wrote:
I use web-access for my mail, and the #{number} is there in the link in the email, but when I click on the link it doesn't get put in the url in the address bar and I stay at the top of the page

Not sure what you're using for webmail, but it might be worth filing a bug report or sending a polite note to the webmaster/powers that be.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: