Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordcris
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
lordcris wrote:
but less users don't create a better distribution, you can bet your shirt on it.
Again, I disagree. If you have a small team of users that are all really good at what they do, that doesn't somehow make the distro not get better. Just like having a huge team of mediocre people doesn't somehow make the distro better either.

My point is that there's more to it than number of users. Number of users alone will never make a distro better.

lordcris wrote:
there will allays be those who struggle withe the advanced tasks like kernel compilation,
The "advanced task" that they were failing on was mounting a partition before copying stuff to it. And this wasn't an isolated incident or anything.

i see,
how do you define the gentoo team?
a [huge|tiny] team of [mediocre|brilliant] people?
philosophically speaking you are right, but what the about gentoo?
do you really think it is getting better?!
lordcris
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V-Li wrote:
lordcris wrote:
V-Li wrote:
Interesting what tone people are writing posts in and then wonder when they get a saucy answer. Anyway, improving Gentoo is not done by shouting in a forums post but by getting things done as active user or developer. I strive through forum sometimes to find problems people have with the programs I maintain. They complain and complain, but I (as maintainer) never received an email or bug report. And that sucks most.

which program do you maintain?
which users complain and about what they do it?
your comment is rather generic; it resembles one of the complaints you are talking about. ;)

There were people rageuos about vpnc not working in their setup (it was special) for months. After I found the thread (don't know what it exactly was), upstream fixed it on my notice. The same for GNU Emacs and its packages. God, the Emacs team has no problems with hints by email, we investigate it.

And yes, my comment was generic, because the details are not needed here anyway. Always there is "Gentoo is dying" and "You developers/mods are shit", I have been insulted heavily when stabilising KDE 3.5.something and broke the tree for some hours (there was no way around that at that time).

i see,
but what about those programs which have a maintainer and are nor releasing the new version on time,
like perl-5.10 ( still nothing in the main portage after 2 (two) years of the release of the stable version)
or like nvidia-drivers (usually one month behind with the release of the stable driver),
mozilla 3.5 took 3 weeks to get in portage.
do you think this is the way a distro claiming to be updated in "real time" should look like?
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

today, medium, a few years back, huge.

But as I have already written - most people who came and most people lost are the ones moving from the 'hip distro of the moment' to the next. Nothing lost losing them.

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
V-Li
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordcris wrote:
V-Li wrote:
lordcris wrote:
V-Li wrote:
Interesting what tone people are writing posts in and then wonder when they get a saucy answer. Anyway, improving Gentoo is not done by shouting in a forums post but by getting things done as active user or developer. I strive through forum sometimes to find problems people have with the programs I maintain. They complain and complain, but I (as maintainer) never received an email or bug report. And that sucks most.

which program do you maintain?
which users complain and about what they do it?
your comment is rather generic; it resembles one of the complaints you are talking about. ;)

There were people rageuos about vpnc not working in their setup (it was special) for months. After I found the thread (don't know what it exactly was), upstream fixed it on my notice. The same for GNU Emacs and its packages. God, the Emacs team has no problems with hints by email, we investigate it.

And yes, my comment was generic, because the details are not needed here anyway. Always there is "Gentoo is dying" and "You developers/mods are shit", I have been insulted heavily when stabilising KDE 3.5.something and broke the tree for some hours (there was no way around that at that time).

i see,
but what about those programs which have a maintainer and are nor releasing the new version on time,
like perl-5.10 ( still nothing in the main portage after 2 (two) years of the release of the stable version)
or like nvidia-drivers (usually one month behind with the release of the stable driver),
mozilla 3.5 took 3 weeks to get in portage.
do you think this is the way a distro claiming to be updated in "real time" should look like?

Perl is badly understaffed. They just need help. Firefox was in the tree really fast, just masked, because random programs can break with the newest XULRunner (component of Firefox)...and it went stable today on x86, others to follow. Being real time depends on the time, the programs I take care off are handled in a timely fashion, because I am here and dedicate a good portion of my free time to it. Other teams are better, as good or worse, depending on man-power available...that's the whole mistery, man-power.
Dont Panic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has Google been banned again from indexing the Gentoo forums?

I noticed last summer that it had been re-enabled for at least some period of time. But I cannot locate any recent posts with Google's search engine.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google is presently free to index the forums.
Dont Panic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the confirmation. :)

I'm having trouble finding any search hits on either Google, Yahoo, or Bing/MSN for recent forum posts.

Google looks like they were briefly indexing for around two months last Summer, but I'm having trouble finding anything newer than August of 2009 in Google's search results.

Looking around on the web, I've seen several discussions on the difficulties of getting Google and the other search engines to index phpBB forums. :|
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont Panic wrote:
I'm having trouble finding any search hits on either Google, Yahoo, or Bing/MSN for recent forum posts.
There was a configuration change that temporarily kept well behaved spiders from indexing the site, it has recently been corrected.
Dont Panic wrote:
Looking around on the web, I've seen several discussions on the difficulties of getting Google and the other search engines to index phpBB forums. :|
Aside from occasional configuration mishaps, they seem to have little trouble indexing the forums, though there are certain tweaks in place to facilitate them.
Dont Panic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've repeated a few of my Google searches, and I'm now seeing hits on recent Gentoo forums posts on searchs that came up dry before.

Google shrouds their heuristics for indexing, so it's difficult to say what, if anything, changed.

I'll just be glad it's working now. :)
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont Panic wrote:
Google shrouds their heuristics for indexing, so it's difficult to say what, if anything, changed.
It was due to misconfiguration on our end.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: