Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
post count relating to one's so called status?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lysergicacid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: post count relating to one's so called status? Reply with quote

not to be rude but surely most of the ppl with the really high post counts, have asked more questions than anything else, is there not a better way to calculate one's status ?

Last edited by lysergicacid on Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Hupf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a status? 8O Does it influence our credibility here in the forums?
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When in doubt there is always date of registration.
jw5801
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: post count relating to one's so called status? Reply with quote

lysergicacid wrote:
not to be rude but surely most of the ppl with the really high post counts, have asked more questions than anything else, is there not a better way to calculate ones status ?

Yes, become a developer or moderator, then you'll get a fancy `status'. Otherwise, does it really matter? Everyone is aware that it's only a measure of post counts, and there isn't really another efficient/worthwhile method of determining a poster's ability to answer questions.
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: post count relating to one's so called status? Reply with quote

jw5801 wrote:
and there isn't really another efficient/worthwhile method of determining a poster's ability to answer questions.

I think 'Karma points' works quite well. Then again its still just a gimmick.
dlmalloc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma points never work. They will always be abused. I have never seen a Karma system that actually works.

dlmalloc@irc.freenode.net
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: post count relating to one's so called status? Reply with quote

lysergicacid wrote:
have asked more questions than anything else

Such as who? (Yes, this is a question, but it's a response to what I feel is a lack of obvious evidence.)

If they haven't been banned with all those posts, then the reasonable assumption is that they've learned quite a bit from the forums, and how to behave on them.

Edit: I'm only posting this, to try to reach 6,000 posts before xmas. Please don't ban me :wink:
Dr.Willy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motif wrote:
Karma points never work. They will always be abused. I have never seen a Karma system that actually works.

wc3c.net
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: post count relating to one's so called status? Reply with quote

lysergicacid wrote:
... surely most of the ppl with the really high post counts, have asked more questions than anything else ...
Actually quite the opposite is true. The most frequent contributors do just that: contribute, often orders of magnitude more often than they ask questions. Even so, the value of said contributions varies. Some people scatter pearls of wisdom wherever they tread, others enjoy the comforting, clickety-tappity sound of their keyboards. :wink: It doesn't take long to discern knowledge is independent of postcount rank. It is far better to use one's own judgment for such things than put too much stock in a rank or status, whether assigned by machine or man.
Hupf wrote:
We have a status? 8O Does it influence our credibility here in the forums?
Yes and no. :D "Moderator" is a status, "guru" is a rank, and neither alone confers any credibility. Just look at me, I'm incredible, ask anybody. :lol:
PaulBredbury wrote:
Edit: I'm only posting this, to try to reach 6,000 posts before xmas. Please don't ban me :wink:
/me makes a note to use this an excuse to ban you following post #5999, to be lifted 26 Dec 2009 earliest. :P :)

Last edited by timeBandit on Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and: Moved from Other Things Gentoo to Gentoo Forums Feedback.
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My observation is that most Gentoo Forum users with very high post counts have a real desire to be as helpful as possible as much as possible, in helping others to get their Gentoo systems up and running as painlessly and as efficiently as possible, by providing real solutions rather than simple workarounds all over the place.

That isn't only true of those with very high post counts, I suppose it depends on how much time one has/wishes to contribute to the project.

There are some as well with very post counts who do mostly ask questions, but one gets the sense that they spend most of their days installing Gentoo systems everywhere, one after the other, just trudging along.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: