View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 27, 28, 29  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bi3l, fontconfig-2.7.1 is available in portage, can you bump it in the overlays please? :)
Andy Crook
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like I have problems when using devnull's ebulds with USE flags "-cleartype ubuntu"

I'm unable to merge some packages, i.e. mozilla-thunderbird, seamonkey

emerge fails complaining about undefined references:
Code:

i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -DGENTOO_NSPLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib/nsplugins\" -DGENTOO_NSBROWSER_PLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins\"  -fno-rtti -fno-handle-exceptions  -Wconversion -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsynth -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -Wno-long-long -march=pentium4 -pipe -Wno-return-type -w -fshort-wchar -pthread -pipe  -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -ffunction-sections -O2 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12   -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12   -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/freetype2   -fPIC -shared -Wl,-z,defs -Wl,-rpath,'$ORIGIN:$ORIGIN/..' -Wl,-h,libgfxps.so -o libgfxps.so  nsDeviceContextPS.o nsFontMetricsPS.o nsEPSObjectPS.o nsRenderingContextPS.o nsPostScriptObj.o nsAFMObject.o nsGfxFactoryPS.o nsTempfilePS.o nsPrintJobPS.o nsPrintJobFactoryPS.o nsType1.o    -Wl,-O1  -Wl,-rpath,'$ORIGIN:$ORIGIN/..'  -L../../../dist/bin -L../../../dist/lib -lgfxshared_s -lgfxpsshar -lmozutil_s -lgkgfx -L../../../dist/bin -lxpcom -lxpcom_core  -L../../../dist/bin -Wl,-R/usr/lib/nspr -L/usr/lib/nspr -lplds4 -lplc4 -lnspr4 -lpthread -ldl ../../../dist/lib/libunicharutil_s.a  -lXft   -lfreetype -lz  -Wl,--version-script -Wl,../../../build/unix/gnu-ld-scripts/components-version-script -Wl,-Bsymbolic -ldl -lm   
nsFontMetricsPS.o: In function `nsXftEntry::nsXftEntry(_FcPattern*)':
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN10nsXftEntryC1EP10_FcPattern+0x90): undefined reference to `FcPatternGetString'
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN10nsXftEntryC1EP10_FcPattern+0xb9): undefined reference to `FcPatternGetString'
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN10nsXftEntryC1EP10_FcPattern+0xe2): undefined reference to `FcPatternGetString'
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN10nsXftEntryC1EP10_FcPattern+0x10a): undefined reference to `FcPatternGetInteger'
nsFontMetricsPS.o: In function `nsXftEntry::nsXftEntry(_FcPattern*)':
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN10nsXftEntryC2EP10_FcPattern+0x90): undefined reference to `FcPatternGetString'
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN10nsXftEntryC2EP10_FcPattern+0xb9): undefined reference to `FcPatternGetString'
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN10nsXftEntryC2EP10_FcPattern+0xe2): undefined reference to `FcPatternGetString'
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN10nsXftEntryC2EP10_FcPattern+0x10a): undefined reference to `FcPatternGetInteger'
nsFontMetricsPS.o: In function `nsFontPSXft::FindFont(unsigned short, nsFont const&, nsFontMetricsPS*)':
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN11nsFontPSXft8FindFontEtRK6nsFontP15nsFontMetricsPS+0x119): undefined reference to `FcCharSetHasChar'
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN11nsFontPSXft8FindFontEtRK6nsFontP15nsFontMetricsPS+0x347): undefined reference to `FcPatternCreate'
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN11nsFontPSXft8FindFontEtRK6nsFontP15nsFontMetricsPS+0x418): undefined reference to `FcPatternAddInteger'
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN11nsFontPSXft8FindFontEtRK6nsFontP15nsFontMetricsPS+0x443): undefined reference to `FcPatternAddInteger'
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN11nsFontPSXft8FindFontEtRK6nsFontP15nsFontMetricsPS+0x461): undefined reference to `FcConfigSubstitute'
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN11nsFontPSXft8FindFontEtRK6nsFontP15nsFontMetricsPS+0x46f): undefined reference to `FcDefaultSubstitute'
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN11nsFontPSXft8FindFontEtRK6nsFontP15nsFontMetricsPS+0x49c): undefined reference to `FcFontSort'
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN11nsFontPSXft8FindFontEtRK6nsFontP15nsFontMetricsPS+0x542): undefined reference to `FcPatternGetBool'
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN11nsFontPSXft8FindFontEtRK6nsFontP15nsFontMetricsPS+0x576): undefined reference to `FcPatternGetString'
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN11nsFontPSXft8FindFontEtRK6nsFontP15nsFontMetricsPS+0x5af): undefined reference to `FcPatternGetString'
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN11nsFontPSXft8FindFontEtRK6nsFontP15nsFontMetricsPS+0x5ec): undefined reference to `FcPatternGetCharSet'
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN11nsFontPSXft8FindFontEtRK6nsFontP15nsFontMetricsPS+0x60a): undefined reference to `FcCharSetCopy'
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN11nsFontPSXft8FindFontEtRK6nsFontP15nsFontMetricsPS+0x6ab): undefined reference to `FcFontSetDestroy'
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN11nsFontPSXft8FindFontEtRK6nsFontP15nsFontMetricsPS+0x6b9): undefined reference to `FcPatternDestroy'
nsFontMetricsPS.o: In function `nsFontMetricsPS::~nsFontMetricsPS()':
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN15nsFontMetricsPSD1Ev+0x99): undefined reference to `FcCharSetDestroy'
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN15nsFontMetricsPSD2Ev+0x99): undefined reference to `FcCharSetDestroy'
nsFontMetricsPS.cpp:(.text._ZN15nsFontMetricsPSD0Ev+0x99): undefined reference to `FcCharSetDestroy'
../../../dist/lib/libgfxshared_s.a(nsFontConfigUtils.o): In function `NS_AddFFRE(_FcPattern*, nsCString*, int)':
nsFontConfigUtils.cpp:(.text._Z10NS_AddFFREP10_FcPatternP9nsCStringi+0xae): undefined reference to `FcPatternAdd'
nsFontConfigUtils.cpp:(.text._Z10NS_AddFFREP10_FcPatternP9nsCStringi+0xf4): undefined reference to `FcPatternAddWeak'
../../../dist/lib/libgfxshared_s.a(nsFontConfigUtils.o): In function `NS_AddLangGroup(_FcPattern*, nsIAtom*)':
nsFontConfigUtils.cpp:(.text._Z15NS_AddLangGroupP10_FcPatternP7nsIAtom+0x7a): undefined reference to `FcPatternAddString'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake[4]: *** [libgfxps.so] Error 1
gmake[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/www-client/seamonkey-1.1.17/work/mozilla/gfx/src/ps'
gmake[3]: *** [libs] Error 2
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/www-client/seamonkey-1.1.17/work/mozilla/gfx/src'
gmake[2]: *** [libs] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/www-client/seamonkey-1.1.17/work/mozilla/gfx'
gmake[1]: *** [tier_9] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/www-client/seamonkey-1.1.17/work/mozilla'
make: *** [default] Error 2
 * ERROR: www-client/seamonkey-1.1.17 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_compile
 *             environment, line 3317:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       emake || die;
 *  The die message:
 *   (no error message)
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/log/portage/www-client:seamonkey-1.1.17:20090820-101957.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/www-client/seamonkey-1.1.17/temp/environment'.

>>> Failed to emerge www-client/seamonkey-1.1.17, Log file:

>>>  '/var/log/portage/www-client:seamonkey-1.1.17:20090820-101957.log'

something's wrong with devnull's libXft (fontoconfig/freetype)?
I didn't looked thoroughly through ubuntu patches yet

p.s. when using cairo, libXft, fontconfig and freetype with default USE "+cleartype" I have no problems emerging this packages
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Crook wrote:
undefined reference to `FcPatternGetString'

Do you have fontconfig installed? It's defined in /usr/include/fontconfig/fontconfig.h
Andy Crook
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:
Do you have fontconfig installed? It's defined in /usr/include/fontconfig/fontconfig.h

definitely yes
as I said I have all 4 packages (cairo, libXft, fontconfig and freetype) from devnull's overlay installed
the only difference is in this two USE flags

BUT
when emerged with default flags (+cleartype) they make no harm
and with USE "-cleartype ubuntu" I get these errors
IvanMajhen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: KDE4 kickoff bug? Reply with quote

Is there a bug in kickoff luncher? (kde 4.3)

All my fonts are rendered exactly the same, but fonts in kickoff look like they are not using lcddefault setting...

http://www.shrani.si/f/Z/WR/BEd3Z1g/snapshot1.png
bi3l
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocin wrote:
bi3l, fontconfig-2.7.1 is available in portage, can you bump it in the overlays please? :)

Nope, I'm on vacation.
RealNC
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "cleartype" USE flag of freetype in devnull doesn't do anything, so it might as well be removed.
natros
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Crook wrote:
Seems like I have problems when using devnull's ebulds with USE flags "-cleartype ubuntu"

something's wrong with devnull's libXft (fontoconfig/freetype)?
I didn't looked thoroughly through ubuntu patches yet

p.s. when using cairo, libXft, fontconfig and freetype with default USE "+cleartype" I have no problems emerging this packages

I'm having the same problem as you. Any solution?
Andy Crook
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

natros wrote:
Andy Crook wrote:

I'm having the same problem as you. Any solution?

The one solution I used is:
1. quickpkg devnull's cairo, libXft, fontconfig and freetype packages (emerged with "-cleartype ubuntu"), move them to some other dir on HDD
2. re-emerge this packages with standard use flags ("+cleartype -ubuntu")
3. quckpkg this packages
4. emerge all needed packages (i.e. mozilla-thunderbird)
5. change again flags to "-cleartype ubuntu", and then emerge -K all packages from 1st step

everyting works fine for me, but it's just workaround, so next time You'll have the same problem :)

P.S. I know, it's dumb solutuion, but it works, don't blame me... :)
bi3l
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated fontconfig to 2.7.2 in both devnull and lcd-filtering.
omidxo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bi3l wrote:
Updated fontconfig to 2.7.2 in both devnull and lcd-filtering.

http://hg.core.ws/devnull/rev/18b91fd8d11c#l3.108
Code:
<edit name="lcd_filter" mode="assign">

Should be
Code:
<edit name="lcdfilter" mode="assign">
bi3l
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed.
xiber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I may have asked this before but here goes:

I have cairo-1.8.8 / libXft-2.1.13 / freetype-2.3.9-r1 from devnull with "cleartype" use flag. Also have fontconfig-2.6.0-r2 (from devnull with cleartype use flag). Switched to fontconfig-2.7.2 (also from devnull with cleartype use flag). For the exact same configurations, using fontconfig-2.7.2 makes my fonts resemble their pre-devnull days (ie, looks much worse then with fontconfig-2.6.0-r2 ), so I keep going back to fontconfig-2.6.0-r2. Any idea why this should be the case? Should I switch to the ubuntu use flag?

Athlon 64 X2 4600 @ 2.4 GHz | Asus M2N-SLI DLX | 4x1GB PC6400 | 7600GT KO | 7HD @ 3.1TB | OpenSolaris SXCE | 2007
loftwyr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freetype 2.3.11 is in portage, can we get the overlay updated too?

Thank you for doing this!
bi3l
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated freetype to 2.3.11 and libXft to 2.1.14 in both lcd-filtering and devnull.
bi3l
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated fontconfig to 2.8.0 in both devnull and lcd-filtering.
punloh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you tell why respect-fontconfig patch is dropped in cairo-1.8.8?
AaronPPC
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fontconfig-2.8.0 is in lcd-filtering but not devnull.
bi3l
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fontconfig-2.8.0 is in both.
AaronPPC
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd, it wasn't in devnull when I synced this afternoon. I used lcd-filtering.
kolcon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have problem with skype font hinting under amd64...
it is always the same user, same $HOME...

under ~x86 gentoo and arch the fonts in skype look OK, hinting is fine.
under ~amd64 the hinting looks different (ugly) and I can't bring it to look the same
as under the other two systems

tried different hinting setting in xfce, played with qtconfig, no improvement :(

Please advice what else should I try... since I use skype daily, it is getting on my eyes... thank you
manwe_
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefox 3.5.6 now strictly depends on cairo 1.8.8 [previous 3.5.x versions were compiling fine with 1.8.6 after change in ebuild], so looks like I'll have to deal with this new cairo. This is how text looks like with:
- cairo 1.8.6,
- freetype 2.3.11,
- fontconfig 2.8.0,
- libXft 2.1.14.

http://manwe.rootnode.net/cairo1.png

So everything in the newest versions, except cairo. Config:
Code:
# cat /etc/fonts/local.conf
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
        <include ignore_missing="yes">/home/manwe/.fonts/vistafonts.conf</include>

<match target="font">
                <edit name="rgba" mode="assign"><const>rgb</const></edit>
        </match>

<match target="font">
                <edit name="antialias" mode="assign"><bool>true</bool></edit>
        </match>

<match target="font">
                <edit name="autohint" mode="assign"><bool>false</bool></edit>
        </match>

<match target="font">
                <edit name="hinting" mode="assign"><bool>true</bool></edit>
        </match>

<match target="font">
                <edit name="hintstyle" mode="assign"><const>hintslight</const></edit>
        </match>

<match target="font">
                <edit name="lcdfilter" mode="assign"><const>lcddefault</const></edit>
        </match>

<selectfont>
                <rejectfont><pattern><patelt name="fontformat"><string>Type 1</string></patelt></pattern></rejectfont>
        </selectfont>

<match target="pattern">
                <test qual="any" name="family"><string>Courier</string></test>
                <edit name="family" mode="assign"><string>Consolas</string></edit>
        </match>

<match target="pattern">
                <test qual="any" name="family"><string>Courier</string></test>
                <edit name="family" mode="assign"><string>Consolas</string></edit>
        </match>

<match target="pattern">
                <test qual="any" name="family"><string>Helvetica</string></test>
                <edit name="family" mode="assign"><string>Helvetica CE</string></edit>
        </match>
</fontconfig>

Now let's upgrade to cairo-1.8.8: http://manwe.rootnode.net/cairo2.png . Ugly as hell, "g" is moves to the left, "m" is asymmetrical, etc. Disabling hinting:
Code:
<edit name="hinting" mode="assign"><bool>false</bool></edit>

helps with shapes of the letters, but makes them to blurry, most visible in the menu: http://manwe.rootnode.net/cairo3.png . I've tried messing with hint, autohint and lcdfilter but didn't get proper rendering, like with cairo 1.8.6. Any ideas?
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manwe_ wrote:
newest versions

Let's not forget about pixman, which cairo depends on, even though we don't need to patch pixman for the improved LCD font rendering.

pixman is currently at 0.16.4. Recompile cairo after upgrading pixman, to follow the dependency order.

See blurry fonts. Add entries to ~/.fonts.conf for specific font renderings that you don't like. This is the hassle that we have to go through, to set up fonts as we like them, on our hardware. Here's my ~/.fonts.conf as an example.
manwe_
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBredbury wrote:
Let's not forget about pixman, which cairo depends on, even though we don't need to patch pixman for the improved LCD font rendering.

Why 0.16.4 i newer than 0.17.2?

PaulBredbury wrote:
See blurry fonts. Add entries to ~/.fonts.conf for specific font renderings that you don't like. This is the hassle that we have to go through, to set up fonts as we like them, on our hardware. Here's my ~/.fonts.conf as an example.

I've started messing with my config, but couldn't get look like with cairo 1.8.6. Then tried your config and... it's great :) Fonts look fabulous. Thanks for sharing :!:
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manwe_ wrote:
Why is 0.16.4 newer than 0.17.2?

Even numbers are the "stable" branch, odd numbers are the "unstable" branch.

Linux is unstable enough already, without deliberately using branches labelled "unstable". Example problem with 0.17.2
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 10 of 29

Jump to: