kde3.5 overlay
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joseph_sys
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: kde3.5 overlay Reply with quote

Does anybody have an idea when kde-3.5 will be in overlay?

Right now I upgraded one of my desktop to KDE4.3.1 and I DO NOT Like it, it feels like disorganized bloatware, very slow; and I feel like I'm being spied on, always some background activity especially on start up of KDE4

Right now, emerge --depclean wants to remove KDE3.5; how to prevent it, since I already have KDE4 on the system.
Is it by adding use flag "kdeprefix" to make.conf?

Eventually I'll remove the KDE4 once KDE3.5 gets into overlay.
the.root
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you posted two of these threads, might want to delete one.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-802026.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-802023.html

according to http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/
there should be an overlay called kde3 in layman, but i dont see it.

And no the kdeprefix is for running multiple kde's i believe. But it wont provide kde3.5 and keep it in your system (providing you continue to sync portage).. You could always stop syncing portage, lol.

Last edited by the.root on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Joseph_sys
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the.root wrote:
you posted two of these threads, might want to delete one.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-802026.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-802023.html

according to http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/
there should be an overlay called kde3 in layman, but i dont see it.

You are correct one is gone.
Though, reading the news from portage, it doesn't look too good, overlay or not, KDE3.5 will be broken :-) soon or later.

http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-desktop/msg_a3e260bd0545cb4e763c81bc60f81de2.xml
the.root
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph_sys wrote:

You are correct one is gone.
Though, reading the news from portage, it doesn't look too good, overlay or not, KDE3.5 will be broken :-) soon or later.

http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-desktop/msg_a3e260bd0545cb4e763c81bc60f81de2.xml

Yeah it takes a lot of work to keep them maintained, since there's no upstream support from KDE.
rafo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the name of the KDE 3.5 overlay is kde-sunset:

http://www.linuxized.com/2009/11/kde-in-gentoo-an-update/

However, perhaps this is not fully in order yet. Typing
Code:
layman -i kde-sunset

gets me some output that tells me to look at http://kde.gentoo.org. That page however does not mention the kde-sunset overlay (yet).

I would need a description of how to use the kde-sunset overlay. Let's say I have added the overlay, and I have an existing KDE 3.5 installation, will I then be able to type e g
Code:
emerge -a kwrite

and get the KDE 3.5 version?

Currently when I try this I would get the KDE 4 version, and a bunch of KDE 4 dependencies. What to do?

Another question, suppose I want to set up a new machine with Gentoo and KDE 3.5, will that also be doable using kde-sunset?
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd need to specify the slot;

Code:
emerge -av kwrite
will try to emerge the latest stable version of kwrite, which obviously would be the KDE4 one.

The correct command should be
Code:
emerge -av kwrite:3.5
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kde3 overlay has been renamed back to kde-sunset.
rafo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
You'd need to specify the slot;

Code:
emerge -av kwrite
will try to emerge the latest stable version of kwrite, which obviously would be the KDE4 one.

The correct command should be
Code:
emerge -av kwrite:3.5

It doesn't quite work for me. For kwrite I don't get anything. For another KDE application this happens:
Code:

# emerge -av ksysguard:3.5

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "kde-base/ksysguard:3.5" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- kde-base/ksysguard-3.5.10 (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org> (07 Nov 2009)
#
# Mask KDE 3.5.10 for removal, excluding the dependencies
# required for stable koffice. Removed in 30 days.
wired_
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those wanting to keep KDE 3.5, I've written a how-to:

http://www.linuxized.com/2009/11/how-to-keep-your-kde-3-5-after-its-removed-gentoos-tree-using-the-kde-sunset-overlay/

Hopefully it'll cover all your questions :)

@rafo: iirc KDE 3.5 didn't have a kwrite ebuild, kwrite was provided by kate (which has a :3.5 ebuild)
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for that.

Good post! :D
rafo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wired_ wrote:
For those wanting to keep KDE 3.5, I've written a how-to:

http://www.linuxized.com/2009/11/how-to-keep-your-kde-3-5-after-its-removed-gentoos-tree-using-the-kde-sunset-overlay/

Great, I followed the steps plus I manually unmerged a whole bunch of KDE-related packages that wanted to pull in KDE 4 software.

Now a huge `emerge -avuND world' is running, mostly non-KDE and some KDE3.5 stuff. Hopefully this will take me through the Desktop Winter that comes ahead. Thanks for the HOWTO!
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this trick. It trimmed my /etc/portage/package.mask and /etc/portage/package.unmask files down to almost nothing again. And, I don't get messages telling the machine wants to install KDE-4. Woohoo!

Blessed be!
Pappy
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your kde3 was unslotted, you don't have to unmerge it end then remerge it slotted. It's enough simply to edit the /var/lib/portage/world file and append :3.5 to all the kde entries. I've gotten away with this on three systems now. Ktorrent is a problem however, as it's not slotted. You'll have to either decide on the 3.5 version or the later 4.x version. Personally, I think it's one of the few applications that offers more functionality in 4.x than in 3.5.

I'm doing quite well running 3.5 and 4.3 applications next to each other -- this is no problem. BUT it takes up more space even than the already-bloated 4.3.

In the end I didn't like xfce. I really do like the swiss army knife aspect of konqueror:3.5, and I don't like splitting off the file manager as in xfce and kde4.

I'm really hoping someone will take up the torch on kde3 -- I don't have the knowledge or experience to go it alone.

Cheers,

Jon.
wlchase
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most excellent guide, you might want to warn that the volume containing the overlay needs a fair amount of free space. I had a separate /usr partition and filled it up the first time through.

Bill
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is, is there a discussion thread for kde-sunset yet? If not, why not?

KDE-3 is worth keeping alive. I'm not the greatest coder, but I'm not scared to play with code if I have an idea of what I'm looking for. I've even found a few issues in the overlay that I'd like to address, and have in some cases. I haven't uploaded any of that because I'm not quite sure how to pass what I have upstream. If someone could drop an incantation hint on me, I'd be most appreciative!

Anyway, I'm interested in helping as much as I possibly can, even if that's error checking or troubleshooting "fixed" code.

BB!
P
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've only seen one real reason why it was booted out of the tree so completely, and that was that it doesn't work with the newer autoconf's.

If that could be patched, and/or the code generally made more portable, long term maintained will be a lot easier.
That said, autoconf is slotted so a short/medium hack would just be to change the ebuilds to use a version before the one that causes breakage.

I have no idea how involved either would be tho'
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
My question is, is there a discussion thread for kde-sunset yet? If not, why not?

As far as I know there isn't one. Because nobody started one. Feel free to do so in the "Unsupported Software" forum.

pappy_mcfae wrote:
I've even found a few issues in the overlay that I'd like to address, and have in some cases. I haven't uploaded any of that because I'm not quite sure how to pass what I have upstream. If someone could drop an incantation hint on me, I'd be most appreciative!

Subscribe to the gentoo-desktop mailing list and send them a message.

Edit:
See http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/#doc_chap2 for more info and how to get commit access.
rafo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I did a massive `emerge -avuND world' upgrade, after several weeks of no updates. I then had problems doing revdep-rebuild because the resulting emerges would not succeed, because of the now missing /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62. Also KDE 3.5 (by kde-sunset overlay) would not start.

In another forum thread I found the advice to do `emerge =media-libs/jpeg-6b-r9'. This restores /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62 and revdep-rebuild could be carried out. And KDE 3.5 works, as fine as ever!

I am wondering, this trick should probably be mentioned in the KDE 3.5 HOWTO page.

My guess is that if you switched to kde-sunset earlier, and find your KDE being broken, then you should just do `emerge =media-libs/jpeg-6b-r9' right now. And likewise, if you decide to pick up kde-sunset now then the first step is also to emerge jpeg-6b-r9. Comments welcome! And feel free to update the HOWTO, I am really no expert on this, just glad to be able to stay with KDE 3.5.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments to Unsupported Software.
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafo wrote:
Yesterday I did a massive `emerge -avuND world' upgrade, after several weeks of no updates. I then had problems doing revdep-rebuild because the resulting emerges would not succeed, because of the now missing /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62. Also KDE 3.5 (by kde-sunset overlay) would not start.

In another forum thread I found the advice to do `emerge =media-libs/jpeg-6b-r9'. This restores /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62 and revdep-rebuild could be carried out. And KDE 3.5 works, as fine as ever!

I am wondering, this trick should probably be mentioned in the KDE 3.5 HOWTO page.

My guess is that if you switched to kde-sunset earlier, and find your KDE being broken, then you should just do `emerge =media-libs/jpeg-6b-r9' right now. And likewise, if you decide to pick up kde-sunset now then the first step is also to emerge jpeg-6b-r9. Comments welcome! And feel free to update the HOWTO, I am really no expert on this, just glad to be able to stay with KDE 3.5.

If you install libjpeg-6b-r9 to fix missing libjpeg.so.62 in *source* packages, like KDE, it means they are still linked against libjpeg.so.62 when they should be linked against libjpeg.so.8. That's wrong, and will cause runtime problems, like random segfaulting.

You can run "revdep-rebuild --library libjpeg.so.62" to correct this. Yes, the --library matters.
rafo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the revdep-rebuild command and it looks promising: a bunch of KDE 3.5 packages are being re-emerged now. I suppose that having done this, and restarted the KDE desktop, I should then be able to unmerge the media-libs/jpeg-6b-r9 package.

Does this mean that (1) `revdep-rebuild --library libjpeg.so.62' should be tried first of all, and (2) only if this doesn't work because some tool requires libjpeg.so.62 then temporarily emerge media-libs/jpeg-6b-r9 so that the revdep-rebuild can succeed? (I think maybe that is what happened to me but I'm by no means sure...)
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rafo wrote:
I tried the revdep-rebuild command and it looks promising: a bunch of KDE 3.5 packages are being re-emerged now. I suppose that having done this, and restarted the KDE desktop, I should then be able to unmerge the media-libs/jpeg-6b-r9 package.

Does this mean that (1) `revdep-rebuild --library libjpeg.so.62' should be tried first of all, and (2) only if this doesn't work because some tool requires libjpeg.so.62 then temporarily emerge media-libs/jpeg-6b-r9 so that the revdep-rebuild can succeed? (I think maybe that is what happened to me but I'm by no means sure...)

you got it right :)
jordanwb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had any issue running KDE3.5 with latest software like xorg 1.8 and linux-2.6.35? I want to put KDE3.5 on my new laptop but I'm concerned with incompatibility issues.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an issue with xorg-server-1.9.x. I had typing rate issues (typing a LOT faster than what was coming to the screen). I've heard a few other people having weird issues with xorg-server-1.9.x I didn't see any real issues with xorg-server-1.8, but it wasn't on anything long enough to judge its functionality.

Xorg-server-1.7.x still works as it always has. I use it on this machine because it's the machine I use the most. It has to be able to keep up with my typing speed, and I type quickly. I also use it on my machines with older nvidia cards, as the nvidia drivers for the older cards don't go to >=xorg-server-1.8.x for one, and >=xorg-server-1.9.x for the other. The fourth machine seems to run >=xorg-server-1.9.x just fine, but I don't use it to the same degree I use this, so I don't know if the typing speed issue is an issue with it.

Other than those issues, things are swimming along just fine.

Cheers,
Pappy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: