Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo Linux - Ten Years Compiling: 1999 - 2009
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
lucapost
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Posts: 1412
Location: <ud|me|ts> - Italy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there torrent for livedvd?
_________________
LP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
misiek303
n00b
n00b


Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Posts: 1
Location: Chicago

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: installer ??? Reply with quote

I don't see the point of this 2.6G LiveCD if there is not installer, if I have to install it from command line why would I need this livecd I can do it using any of gentoo cd's, using current stage

So ?? where is installer ??

Any way 10.1 worked fine on my Lenovo T61p.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
d2_racing
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 25 Apr 2005
Posts: 13046
Location: Ste-Foy,Canada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LiveCD is big because it contains a lot of packages.
_________________
Sysadmin of GentooQuébec.org
Wiki
Signature
IRC on Freenode : #gentoo-quebec
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
epsilon72
Guru
Guru


Joined: 20 Sep 2007
Posts: 562

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birthday gentoo, and here's to another 10 years of greatness.
I've tried everything from ubuntu to freebsd to fedora to debian, and I still stick with Gentoo as my main OS. :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 Jan 2009
Posts: 2150
Location: $TERM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"10 Years of Compiling"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's no point in having an installer...Gentoo is about customization, and that cant happen with an automated installer.

To mix both GUI and customization...lot's of effort needs to be done.

Gentoo is used by cream Linux users.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
d2_racing
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 25 Apr 2005
Posts: 13046
Location: Ste-Foy,Canada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, the best way to install Gentoo is with the cli period.
_________________
Sysadmin of GentooQuébec.org
Wiki
Signature
IRC on Freenode : #gentoo-quebec
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slackline
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 1316
Location: /uk/sheffield

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just trying out the LiveDVD 10.1 (from a USB stick) and its working fine. :D

Saved me from M$-Windoze hell in a new job whilst waiting for my desktop to arrive!

misiek303 wrote:
I don't see the point of this 2.6G LiveCD if there is not installer, if I have to install it from command line why would I need this livecd I can do it using any of gentoo cd's, using current stage

So ?? where is installer ??

Any way 10.1 worked fine on my Lenovo T61p.


In fact installing the LiveDVD to a USB stick and carrying that round to boot from when you're at a computer that you can't install to is the ideal tool IMO and wouldn't ever require an installer as its not designed for that.

Get the LiveDVD onto a USB stick using sys-boot/unetbootin :wink:
_________________
"Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.  Art is everything else we do." - Donald Knuth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
clouds222
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 13 Jul 2009
Posts: 187
Location: Shanghai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can use the livedvd to install system to hdd without network?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disi
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 28 Nov 2003
Posts: 1354
Location: Out There ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clouds222 wrote:
Can use the livedvd to install system to hdd without network?


As far as I know it is just a LiveDVD and not for installation. :idea:
_________________
Gentoo on Uptime Project - Larry is a cow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
elsenator
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 89

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Just want to show my appreciation Reply with quote

I know it's a small gesture for all the work you guys put into the Gentoo distro, but i wanted to pay my deep respects to all of you. I have been using Gentoo ever since 2003 and it is without a doubt my distro of choice for almost all situations. I've used it on workstations, media centers, embedded systems, industry-grade computers and, if i remember correctly, i had it booting on a mobile phone once too.

Gentoo fits almost any situation because of its immense scalability and tailored nature. I simple love it! And i love you guys for making it! Keep up the good work!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
likewhoa
l33t
l33t


Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 738
Location: Brooklyn, New York

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Just want to show my appreciation Reply with quote

elsenator wrote:
I know it's a small gesture for all the work you guys put into the Gentoo distro, but i wanted to pay my deep respects to all of you. I have been using Gentoo ever since 2003 and it is without a doubt my distro of choice for almost all situations. I've used it on workstations, media centers, embedded systems, industry-grade computers and, if i remember correctly, i had it booting on a mobile phone once too.

Gentoo fits almost any situation because of its immense scalability and tailored nature. I simple love it! And i love you guys for making it! Keep up the good work!


Thank you for the fine compliment.

clouds222 wrote:

Can use the livedvd to install system to hdd without network?


Yes it can be installed to a hard drive with a little effort. Checkout the FAQ page for instructions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dman777
l33t
l33t


Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 745

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya! Happy birthday to gentoo! The only linux distro keeping linux as it was meant to be. CLI!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
d2_racing
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 25 Apr 2005
Posts: 13046
Location: Ste-Foy,Canada

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dman777 wrote:
Ya! Happy birthday to gentoo! The only linux distro keeping linux as it was meant to be. CLI!


Yes :P
_________________
Sysadmin of GentooQuébec.org
Wiki
Signature
IRC on Freenode : #gentoo-quebec
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slackline
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 1316
Location: /uk/sheffield

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux Journal Article reviewing Gentoo's history and current state of play and an inteview with developer Matthew Summers.

Mod edit: Corrected Matthew's surname (he may be Smart, but his name is Summers). :wink:
--timeBandit

_________________
"Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.  Art is everything else we do." - Donald Knuth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paulj
Guru
Guru


Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 342
Location: Wales, UK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: hmm, that's a lot Reply with quote

babauka wrote:
Just interesting: how many millions tons of CO2 produced for the 10 years by the compilation on millions computers?


I went to the local tip a few weeks back and disposed of two boxed versions of Suse which lived on my computer before I changed to Gentoo (via Slackware which I downloaded when I first connected to Broadband!). CO2 comparisons are not always as straight forward as they seem, when you consider how many boxed sets of different distributions are created, distributed and then not bought (because they have been superceded), but disposed of.

Gentoo has been (and continues to be) a revelation - I have not had to reinstall since 2004, I can run all the software I want, either as stable or unstable version and I can tune the system to suit my needs. Previously I have run into dependency hell when installing some new package which wasn't yet included in the release set from Suse, and Slackware, leading ultimately to the need to reinstall fresh to get out of the problem.

So, Happy Birthday Gentoo, and thanks to all the developers past and present for their efforts and achievements. May Gentoo live to see many more birthdays!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
d2_racing
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 25 Apr 2005
Posts: 13046
Location: Ste-Foy,Canada

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: hmm, that's a lot Reply with quote

paulj wrote:
Gentoo has been (and continues to be) a revelation - I have not had to reinstall since 2004, I can run all the software I want, either as stable or unstable version and I can tune the system to suit my needs. Previously I have run into dependency hell when installing some new package which wasn't yet included in the release set from Suse, and Slackware, leading ultimately to the need to reinstall fresh to get out of the problem.


In fact me too, my original Gentoo installation is april 2005 and I'm still running on it :P
_________________
Sysadmin of GentooQuébec.org
Wiki
Signature
IRC on Freenode : #gentoo-quebec
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gkmac
Guru
Guru


Joined: 19 Jan 2003
Posts: 323
Location: West Sussex, UK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a "first install" on my x86 box that lasted since mid-2003.

It would still be going today, had I not upgraded to an amd64 box last year.
_________________
If ~amd64 ebuilds are cutting edge, then git-9999 ebuilds are chainsaws.
"Not everyone can ride a unicycle, does that mean we should put another wheel on it?" - Lokheed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slackline
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 1316
Location: /uk/sheffield

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: hmm, that's a lot Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
paulj wrote:
Gentoo has been (and continues to be) a revelation - I have not had to reinstall since 2004, I can run all the software I want, either as stable or unstable version and I can tune the system to suit my needs. Previously I have run into dependency hell when installing some new package which wasn't yet included in the release set from Suse, and Slackware, leading ultimately to the need to reinstall fresh to get out of the problem.


In fact me too, my original Gentoo installation is april 2005 and I'm still running on it :P


I've only just replaced my first Gentoo install from 2002, and would have migrated the old OS, but figured it was easier (but not impossible) to install from fresh as I was stepping up from x86 to x86_64.
_________________
"Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.  Art is everything else we do." - Donald Knuth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
d2_racing
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 25 Apr 2005
Posts: 13046
Location: Ste-Foy,Canada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I had to reinstall when I switched from a Pentium4 to a Quad Core :P

x86 to amd64.
_________________
Sysadmin of GentooQuébec.org
Wiki
Signature
IRC on Freenode : #gentoo-quebec
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
syouth
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 18 Sep 2004
Posts: 275

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay for Gentoo and I'm back after few years. Installing at work atm (over ssh ofc).
_________________
psylove
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
d2_racing
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 25 Apr 2005
Posts: 13046
Location: Ste-Foy,Canada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we can see on the linux mag article, the stable branch is a little bit behind, but the others distro are binary, so it's normal IMOO.
_________________
Sysadmin of GentooQuébec.org
Wiki
Signature
IRC on Freenode : #gentoo-quebec
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
slackline
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 1316
Location: /uk/sheffield

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slack---line wrote:

Mod edit: Corrected Matthew's surname (he may be Smart, but his name is Summers). :wink:
--timeBandit


:oops: Sorry!
_________________
"Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.  Art is everything else we do." - Donald Knuth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jap99
n00b
n00b


Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy birthday !! congrates to gen and thanks all developer :lol:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skizorager
n00b
n00b


Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 69
Location: Liege

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations and thanks a lot !
_________________
un noob parmis tant d'autre noob
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bandreabis
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 2080
Location: イタリアのロヂで

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, is there a way to buy LiveDVDs of our preferred loved distro?
Distributors listed on gentoo.org site are almost out of date (is it possible to update and renew links?).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum