Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday Gentoo!
Thanks to all the developers, community and supporters for 10 (or rather 2 1/2 in my case) years of a great Linux experience...

And to think that I actually wanted Ubuntu. Thank goodness a friend recommended Gentoo.
Now it's time for the harvest
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a special thanks to the Gentoo developers, I have made a modest monetary contribution to the Gentoo Foundation, which I intend to repeat each month. I would like to challenge others that have benefited from Gentoo to respond in kind.

- John
Rüpel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't looked at the DVD yet (well, I've got a running Gentoo installation for the last 7 years, so...) - is there a new splash theme? If there is one, will it go to the tree?
solar
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john_r_graham wrote:
As a special thanks to the Gentoo developers, I have made a modest monetary contribution to the Gentoo Foundation, which I intend to repeat each month. I would like to challenge others that have benefited from Gentoo to respond in kind.

- John

This was a community release. Users and Devs working together.
"Thanks for the donation"
sparky007
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Slight issue Reply with quote

Congratulations Gentoo team! I've been a Gentoo user for at least 5 years and have never looked back (except for pushing ubuntu on my wife's machine).

I did have a problem with the amd64 dvd though. I tried to use it to recover an encrypted drive yesterday and came across an error with dm_crypt. When I tried to unlock the drive I would get the following message:

Code:
dm_crypt: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout

Does this mean that there is a difference between the compilation of the kernel/headers and dm_crypt?

Thanks in advance for any help and well done again to Gentoo for reaching the big one oh!
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Slight issue Reply with quote

sparky007 wrote:
Congratulations Gentoo team! I've been a Gentoo user for at least 5 years and have never looked back (except for pushing ubuntu on my wife's machine).

I did have a problem with the amd64 dvd though. I tried to use it to recover an encrypted drive yesterday and came across an error with dm_crypt. When I tried to unlock the drive I would get the following message:

Code:
dm_crypt: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout

Does this mean that there is a difference between the compilation of the kernel/headers and dm_crypt?

Thanks in advance for any help and well done again to Gentoo for reaching the big one oh!

get the new updated images from here these should "specially the amd64-multilib" be working better.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Gentoo :)

Thanks to all developers and contributors that made this possible.
mrbig4545
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome.
Ivion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, already 10 years of Gentoo!
It (almost) seems like yesterday that I first installed Gentoo on my desktop and I haven't looked back since. It has been 6-7 years and in those years there were only 3 reinstalls necessary, all 3 were due to either hardware problems or major hardware upgrades. It wasn't always smooth sailing tough; I, like everyone else, had my fair share of software problems, but they were never insurmountable and I came away every time having learned something new. To me Gentoo is a continual learning experience and the longer I use it the more I realise how much it has taught me things applicable to all Linux distro's.

Thanks to everyone involved and let's hope for many more decades of Gentoo fun. :)
logar0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the live dvd today. It could not recognize any of my usb devices. lsusb didn't report any device. Nothing connected on a usb port wasn't working (mouse, webcam, wireless, etc). I even tried modprobe some modules my self.

My lspci
Code:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P PCI to AGP Controller (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)
02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8029(AS)
02:02.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
02:02.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
02:02.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 04)

Does anyone else face the same issue?
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logar0 wrote:
I tried the live dvd today....

Probably best starting a new thread (or using the one about testing the live dvd).
comprookie2000
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logar0 wrote:
I tried the live dvd today. It could not recognize any of my usb devices. lsusb didn't report any device. Nothing connected on a usb port wasn't working (mouse, webcam, wireless, etc). I even tried modprobe some modules my self.

Can you try one of these they are r-14 there will be an update to 10.1 for bug fixes, just not sure when ;
http://mirrors.sfo1.gni.com/Gentoo/ten/
Mgiese
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love gentooooooooooooo ;)

Ryzen9 7950x ; Geforce1650 ; kernel 6.5 ; XFCE
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

दसवी सालगिरह की बधाई |

Happy 10th Anniversary.
manwithaplan1976
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the new the LiveDVD release ... I was using the pre-release just great.... Now that this is an official release, I no longer have alsasound detection. (ALC1200) or even basic network wired setup... (ATHEROS L1E) Even with a net-setup eth0, I'm having trouble....
linuxfiend
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy 10th birthday. I've been using Gentoo for about 6 years and have loved (almost) every minute of it. Here's to another ten.
comprookie2000
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manwithaplan1976 wrote:
Since the new the LiveDVD release ... I was using the pre-release just great.... Now that this is an official release, I no longer have alsasound detection. (ALC1200) or even basic network wired setup... (ATHEROS L1E) Even with a net-setup eth0, I'm having trouble....

Try one of these they are r-14 the ones from Oct 4,5 are r-5
http://mirrors.sfo1.gni.com/Gentoo/ten/

I just tried r-20 and it is very good so I am hoping 10.1 will be released soon so I can point everyone to that and end a lot of the confusion. There is a problem with the livedvd-amd64-multilib-10.0.iso from Oct 04, 05 as you can tell the one I am linking you to is Oct 07.
clouds222
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birthday, happy everyone.

It's the 100th day I using Gentoo.
sparky007
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Slight issue Reply with quote

likewhoa wrote:

get the new updated images from here these should "specially the amd64-multilib" be working better.

Thanks for the quick update. I don't want to go too OT but feedback so far is: I got an isolinux disk error 20 when loading the dvd. Turns out the md5 didn't match so I'm downloading again and will try over the weekend.

While we're in a celebratory mood, I'll just add that this has to be the best place to come for linux support on the net. I often add site:forums.gentoo.org to my google searches.
mobilejimbo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Slight issue Reply with quote

[quote="sparky007"][quote="likewhoa"]
get the new updated images from [url=http://mirrors.sfo1.gni.com/Gentoo/ten/]here[/url] these should "specially the amd64-multilib" be working better.[/quote]

Thanks for the quick update. I don't want to go too OT but feedback so far is: I got an isolinux disk error 20 when loading the dvd. Turns out the md5 didn't match so I'm downloading again and will try over the weekend.

While we're in a celebratory mood, I'll just add that this has to be the best place to come for linux support on the net. I often add site:forums.gentoo.org to my google searches.[/quote]

I also downloaded the x86 10 dvd and the mirrors say the iso file is 2.6G, but when I download the file appears to only be 2G and the md5sum does not match. I've had this problem on three different mirrors. Maybe reissue the iso? Or perhaps reissue the md5sum if the 2G file is correct.

Thanks in advance
y4140
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birthday, Gentoo! And thank you to all the developers and users who have helped make Gentoo the greatest Linux distribution!

I first tried Gentoo in 2002, and it's been my default distro for the last 5 years. I don't think I could ever move back permanently to a Debian- or rpm-based distro, though sometimes I'm a little disappointed that there aren't other successful source-based distributions. But portage is superb, and I guess it would be difficult for others to compete.

Here's to another 10 years! :D

Last edited by y4140 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: NEW IMAGES as of 20091009 Reply with quote

ISO Sources for 10.1 images.

Image: livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-10.1.iso
DIGESTS: livedvd-x86-amd64-32ul-10.1.iso.DIGESTS
Image:livedvd-amd64-multilib-10.1.iso
DIGESTS: livedvd-amd64-multilib-10.1.iso.DIGESTS
Sevis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: hmm, that's a lot Reply with quote

Happy belated birthday! :D Great work devs!

babauka wrote:
Just interesting: how many millions tons of CO2 produced for the 10 years by the compilation on millions computers?

Am I the only one who imagined a steampunkish computer with an exhaust pipe spitting out clouds of smoke?
octoploid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, shipping the amd64 live-dvd, that takes ages to boot and sports
a hyper crappy desktop background image, with i386 modules only
is a great birthday present indeed. It perfectly reflects the sad state
of affairs of Gentoo.
comprookie2000
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

octoploid wrote:
Haha, shipping the amd64 live-dvd, that takes ages to boot and sports
a hyper crappy desktop background image, with i386 modules only
is a great birthday present indeed. It perfectly reflects the sad state
of affairs of Gentoo.

I like the wallpaper. For the slow boot, that is in the process of getting some of the fat removed to speed it up. Livecd tools had not been worked on much since 2007 as it was not really needed without a Live CD or DVD. With the switch to xorg-server-1.5 and above some scripts that were needed before are not needed now. We are picking away at it little by little. One script that runs /sbin/x-setup and then calls livecd-functions.sh is going to be eliminated or revised and that should really help, so we are working on speeding it up :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: