View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: KDE 4.3, Nvidia and insufficient resources Reply with quote

I've recently upgraded to KDE 4.3 (from KDE 3.5), which has been smooth, except for a few major issues. To be honest, I think it's actually just a single root issue, but it manifests itself in a number of different ways. The most obvious manifestation is that if I have too many windows open (where "too many" is a very small number, approximately a dozen), I won't be able to fullscreen a video with gmplayer, it'll explode with an error about insufficient resources. Sometimes it'll be able to fullscreen once, but if I repeatedly toggle fullscreen, it's pretty much a guaranteed crash. If I open even more windows, gmplayer will just crash outright on startup with the same error. The exact error is:
Code:

[ws] Error in display.
[ws]  Error code: 11 ( BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation) )
[ws]  Request code: 135
[ws]  Minor code: 19
[ws]  Modules: flip_page

Ok, so maybe it's just gmplayer. Instead, I try plain old mplayer, but I get similar results... If I have too many windows open, the video window is just black, although it doesn't crash and I'll still be able to hear the sound.

It's not just gmplayer either, at one point I tried running glxgears, and it was giving me 75 fps (no that's not a typo, and no it wasn't vsync (my monitors run at 60 Hz)), whereas right now I'm seeing about 5000 fps.

Ok, glxgears isn't a benchmark, and maybe Xv support is just busted for some reason. So yesterday I started playing FF7 in Wine (yes, it works quite well), at 640x480 it works perfectly. I try it at 1280x960 and it's painfully slow (<1 fps), ok, maybe the stretching is just slow in Wine for some reason, I switch back to 640x480 and continue playing for awhile. After awhile, I quit, and then later I come back and it's just not cooperating, even at 640x480 now it's dog slow. After trying a few things I end up with some pretty serious screen corruption, two of the windows I have open are just garbage. After more fiddling, I discover that FF7 runs perfectly even at 1280x960, except only in a separate X server (:1, I still have :0 open, and it hasn't been restarted). Now I flip back to :0 again, and try running FF7, only to get more extreme slowness and window corruption.

At this point it's painfully obvious that the brokenness is not in any specific app, but rather, in the video drivers. It would seem that running with compositing active chews through GPU memory, which is reasonable, I understand that doing so requires that all of the open windows on the current X server be stored in GPU memory, but surely I'm not actually running out of GPU memory here... I have a Geforce 7950 GT with 512M of memory. Furthermore, if I am somehow running out of GPU memory, how do I fix that? In KDE 3.5 it wouldn't be unusual for me to have >50 windows open, but I'm running into walls with less than 1/5 of that now in KDE 4.3, so even if I got a video card with 2G of video memory, it wouldn't be a solution.

Has anyone else noticed this? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Nvidia driver assigns a fixed pool of memory for desktop compositing, but that later versions of the driver can expand and contract this pool as necessary. Is there any way to tweak the size of said pool, or at least query it? More importantly, is there a solution? (Ideally one that doesn't involve disabling compositing, going back to KDE 3.5, opening fewer windows or buying new hardware.)

Side note #1: I'm using nvidia-drivers-180.60, I tried 185.* but was getting several X crashes a day, typically when switching the active window (clicking or alt-tab). 180.60 has not crashed on me yet (over a period of several weeks).

Side note #2, system specs:

64-bit Gentoo, 2.6.30-gentoo-r6
xorg-server-1.6.3.901
Geforce 7950 GT 512M (with nvidia-drivers-180.60, see side note #1)
Dual 1600x1200 monitors in TwinView (3200x1200)
Athlon X2 4200+
2G DDR
Plumbo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

For starters, what options do you use for the nvidia-driver?
What OpenGL mode do you use? (systemsettings->Desktop->Desktop Effects). Does "shared memory" or "fallback" make any difference?
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please post your xorg.conf
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Texture From Pixmap for OpenGL mode. I just tried Shared Memory, which was seems to (not) work exactly like Texture From Pixmap. Fallback was so slow that I didn't get to see the "accept configuration?" prompt before it reverted to the old settings again.

For the nvidia-drivers settings, which ones are you referring to? There's not much in nvidia-settings, IIRC the only thing I've changed from the defaults is to force AA to 0x and AF to 16x, (plus the TwinView layouts, but you can see that in xorg.conf). I haven't tweaked any of the options you can set via the command line with nvidia-settings (such as PixmapCache), although I've seen mention of them before.

Here's my xorg.conf:

Code:

Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier     "X.org Configured"
   Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
   InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
   InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
   Option "StandbyTime" "10"
   Option "SuspendTime" "20"
   Option "OffTime" "30"
   Option "AIGLX" "true"
   Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
   Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
EndSection

Section "Files"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/OTF"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/CID/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
   Load  "dbe"
   Load  "record"
   Load  "extmod"
   Load  "xtrap"
   Load  "glx"
   Load  "type1"
   Load  "freetype"
   SubSection "extmod"
      Option "omit xfree86-dga"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Keyboard0"
   Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Mouse0"
   Driver      "mouse"
   Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
   Option       "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
   Option       "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
   Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier   "Monitor0"
   VendorName   "IBM"
   ModelName    "L201p"
   Option       "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Option      "RenderAccel"               "true"
   Option      "EnablePageFlip"            "true"
   Option      "ConnectedMonitor"          "DFP,DFP"
   Identifier  "Card0"
   Driver      "nvidia"
   VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
   BoardName   "NV43 [GeForce 6600]"
   BusID       "PCI:3:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Card0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "1"
    Option         "metamodes" "DFP: 1600x1200 +0+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +1600+0; DFP: 1280x1024 +0+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +1280+0; DFP: 1152x864 +0+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +1152+0; DFP: 1024x768 +0+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +1024+0; DFP: 800x600 +0+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +800+0; DFP: 640x480 +0+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +640+0; DFP: 1600x1200 +0+0, DFP: NULL; DFP: 1280x1024 +0+0, DFP: NULL; DFP: 1152x864 +0+0, DFP: NULL; DFP: 1024x768 +0+0, DFP: NULL; DFP: 800x600 +0+0, DFP: NULL; DFP: 640x480 +0+0, DFP: NULL"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
   Option   "Composite"   "Enable"
EndSection

Here's my .nvidia-settings-rc, just in case:

Code:

# ConfigProperties:

RcFileLocale = C
ToolTips = Yes
DisplayStatusBar = Yes
SliderTextEntries = Yes
IncludeDisplayNameInConfigFile = No
ShowQuitDialog = No
Timer = Thermal_Monitor_(GPU_0),Yes,1000
Timer = PowerMizer_Monitor_(GPU_0),Yes,1000

# Attributes:

0/CursorShadow=0
0/CursorShadowAlpha=64
0/CursorShadowRed=0
0/CursorShadowGreen=0
0/CursorShadowBlue=0
0/CursorShadowXOffset=4
0/CursorShadowYOffset=2
0/SyncToVBlank=0
0/LogAniso=4
0/FSAA=0
0/TextureSharpen=1
0/AllowFlipping=1
0/FSAAAppControlled=0
0/LogAnisoAppControlled=0
0/OpenGLImageSettings=1
0/RedBrightness=0.000000
0/GreenBrightness=0.000000
0/BlueBrightness=0.000000
0/RedContrast=0.000000
0/GreenContrast=0.000000
0/BlueContrast=0.000000
0/RedGamma=1.000000
0/GreenGamma=1.000000
0/BlueGamma=1.000000
0/DigitalVibrance[DFP-0]=0
0/DigitalVibrance[DFP-1]=0
0/ImageSharpening[DFP-0]=0
0/ImageSharpening[DFP-1]=0
0/GPUScaling[DFP-0]=65537
0/GPUScaling[DFP-1]=65537
0/XVideoTextureSyncToVBlank=1
0/XVideoBlitterSyncToVBlank=1
0/XVideoSyncToDisplay=65536

Ignore the board name in xorg.conf, that was autogenerated years ago and is no longer accurate, I've just never bothered to change it.
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... also please post the output of
Code:
eselect rc show

and your emerge --info
cdale77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might need to use this:

Code:
nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=2 -a GlyphCache=1

Before nvidia developed full qt4 support, I used this in a startup script to improve KDE 4 performance. Since you're using older nvidia drivers, this might help. I made a bash script and put it somewhere (can't remember) so it ran every time KDE started.

You can tweak the numerical values to see if it changes anything. . .
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could also remove the pageflip option, you can remove the extmod/dga stuff. And you can remove almost all modules - today X loads almost everything automagically ;)

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlyphCache seems to default to 1, as that's what it was already set at. I changed IPP to 2 (from 1), and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

emerge --info:
Code:

Portage 2.1.6.13 (default/linux/amd64/2008.0/desktop, gcc-4.3.2, glibc-2.9_p20081201-r2, 2.6.30-gentoo-r6 x86_64)                                               
=================================================================               
System uname: Linux-2.6.30-gentoo-r6-x86_64-AMD_Athlon-tm-_64_X2_Dual_Core_Processor_4200+-with-gentoo-1.12.11.1                                               
Timestamp of tree: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 17:45:03 +0000                             
app-shells/bash:     3.2_p39                                                   
dev-java/java-config: 2.1.8-r1                                                 
dev-lang/python:     2.6.2-r1                                                   
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r8                                                   
dev-util/cmake:      2.6.4-r2                                                   
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.11.1                                                 
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.6-r2                                                     
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.63-r1                                             
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10.2   
sys-devel/binutils:  2.18-r3                                                   
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.1                                                     
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.26                                                     
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.27-r2                                                 
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"                                                         
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"                                                   
CFLAGS="-march=k8 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"                               
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"                                                     
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/config"                                                       
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/php/apache2-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php5/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo /etc/udev/rules.d"                                                   
CXXFLAGS="-march=k8 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"                             
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"                                               
FEATURES="distlocks fixpackages parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-orphans userfetch"                                                 
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.mirrors.tera-byte.com/ http://gentoo.arcticnetwork.ca/source/ http://cdot.senecac.on.ca/software/gentoo/ http://prometheus.cs.wmich.edu/gentoo/ http://mirrors.acm.cs.rpi.edu/gentoo/ http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/gentoo-distfiles/"                                                       
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1"                                                               
MAKEOPTS="-j3"                                                                 
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"                                                 
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"                                                         
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"                                                 
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"                                                       
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"                                                         
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage/crossdev"                                   
SYNC="rsync://rsync.ca.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"                               
USE="3dnow 3dnowext X a52 aac aalib acl acpi aim alsa amd64 asf audiofile berkdb branding bzip2 cairo cdinstall cdparanoia cdr cli cracklib crypt cups curl cvs daap dbus dri dts dvd dvdr dvdread emboss emul-linux-x86 encode ethereal evo exif fam fbcon ffmpeg firefox flac fortran gdbm gif glut gpm hal iconv icq ieee1394 imagemagick imlib ipv6 isdnlog javascript jpeg jpeg2k kde lame lm_sensors logitech-mouse mad mikmod mmx mmxext mng mp3 mp4 mpeg mpg msn mudflap multilib ncurses nls nocd nptl nptlonly nvidia offensive ogg oggvorbis openal opengl openmp oscar pam pcntl pcre pdf perl php png portaudio posix ppds pppd python qt qt3 qt3support qt4 quicktime readline reflection sdl session shorten smp sndfile spell spl sql sse sse2 ssl startup-notification subversion svg sysfs szip tcpd tetex theora thunar tiff truetype unicode usb vcd videos vorbis x264 xcomposite xine xinerama xml xorg xulrunner xv xvid xvmc zeroconf zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="access auth auth_dbm auth_anon auth_digest authz_host alias file_cache echo charset_lite cache disk_cache mem_cache ext_filter filter case_filter_in deflate mime_magic cern_meta expires headers usertrack unique_id proxy proxy_connect proxy_ftp proxy_http info include cgi cgid dav dav_fs vhost_alias speling rewrite log_config logio env setenvif mime status autoindex asis negotiation dir imap actions userdir so" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

eselect rc show:
Code:

Status of init scripts in runlevel "default"
  alsasound                 [started]
  apache2                   [started]
  apcupsd                   [started]
  cpudyn                    [started]
  cupsd                     [started]
  exim                      [started]
  hald                      [started]
  lm_sensors                [started]
  local                     [started]
  mdadm                     [started]
  memcached                 [started]
  mysql                     [started]
  net.eth0                  [started]
  netmount                  [started]
  ntp-client                [started]
  ntpd                      [started]
  rsyncd                    [started]
  smartd                    [started]
  sshd                      [started]
  syslog-ng                 [started]
  vixie-cron                [started]
  xdm                       [started]

Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

start dbus

and you will have a faster system with -O2
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Hunt wrote:
start dbus

and you will have a faster system with -O2

DBUS is already running, I think something depends on it and starts it, even if it's not explicitly in the list to start up.

And I highly highly doubt that -O3 instead of -O2 has anything to do with the problem at hand.
Mike Hunt
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK hald starts dbus

consolekit may help

and also maybe try without an xorg.conf to see what happens.

do you have lots of desktop plasmoids running?
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really see how consolekit would help. It appears to be login session type stuff.

As for desktop plasmoids... I have none. I removed the one initial folder view one because I didn't find it useful. Actually, I am using the panel-that's-not-called-kicker-anymore-but-works-much-like-kicker, which I guess is considered a desktop plasmoid now.

Trying a new instance of X without an xorg.conf results in no screens being found and X not starting, which is decidedly worse.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you try a more recent driver version?

Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
could you try a more recent driver version?

I was on 185.* briefly, but they cause X to crash quite frequently (several times a day) for me, always when switching windows (via alt-tab or clicking). There's mention of this crashing problem on the nvnews.net forums, and it's reported against both 185.* and 190.*, but not 180.*, however, there was no solution in sight.

At the time, I hadn't noticed the issue in this thread yet, so I'm not sure if it's still present in the 185.* drivers, but either way, 185.* is most definitely a no-go for me.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are using desktop effects, it might be worse a shot to deactivate them with ctrl+alt+F12 for a moment and then turn it back.

Is X still slow afterwards?

Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
if you are using desktop effects, it might be worse a shot to deactivate them with ctrl+alt+F12 for a moment and then turn it back.

Is X still slow afterwards?

Yes. Well, I never really said X is slow (in general it's not, dragging windows around is still fluid for example), however, certain things (everything I mentioned in my initial post) behave badly.

I was running with compositing disabled for awhile, and I just flipped it on now. I give glxgears a try... ~6200 fps, that's good. Open 20 konsoles (for i in {1..20}; do konsole & done) and boom, glxgears = 75 fps. Bad. I close the 20 konsoles and glxgears is back to >6000 fps. *sigh*
Plumbo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use these options in my xorg.conf. Try them out if you haven't allready, as they might make a difference.

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 8800 GT"
Option "RenderAccel" "True"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
Option "UseEvents" "False"
Option "TripleBuffer" "True"
Option "DamageEvents" "True"
Option "PixmapCacheSize" "1000000"
Option "AllowSHMPixmaps" "0"
Option "Coolbits" "1"
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plumbo wrote:
I use these options in my xorg.conf. Try them out if you haven't allready, as they might make a difference.

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 8800 GT"
Option "RenderAccel" "True"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
Option "UseEvents" "False"
Option "TripleBuffer" "True"
Option "DamageEvents" "True"
Option "PixmapCacheSize" "1000000"
Option "AllowSHMPixmaps" "0"
Option "Coolbits" "1"

I tried these out, but no joy. I still hit the same problem as before. I also tried adding an extra 0 to the PixmapCacheSize as well, which didn't seem to change anything.

Can anyone confirm that they either do or don't get this on their system? It's very easy to reproduce, with compositing enabled, run glxgears before and after this:

Code:
for i in {1..50}; do konsole & done

Afterwards, is glxgears substantially (as in, two orders of magnitude) slower?

(Note, you might want to do this in a new virtual desktop so you can just mash on ctrl-d or alt-f4 to close all the konsoles when you're done.)
Plumbo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that glxgears seems fine both before and after.

I'm out of ideas as to what is causing this for you, but let us know when you figure it out.
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plumbo wrote:

I'm out of ideas as to what is causing this for you, but let us know when you figure it out.

What hardware and nvidia-drivers/kernel are you running?
Plumbo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Merlin wrote:
Plumbo wrote:

What hardware and nvidia-drivers/kernel are you running?

I have a Nvidia 8800 GT (the new version), running on stable amd64 and nvidia-drivers 180.60 with gentoo-sources 2.6.30-r5.

Have you tried posting on the nvidia-forums? You might have some more luck there...
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I've updated to KDE 4.3.3, 2.6.31-gentoo-r6, xorg-server 1.7.1 and nvidia-drivers 190.42-r3, and the story is exactly the same as before (insufficient resources with "too many" windows open). On the plus side, I have yet to see one of the incredibly irritating X crashes that I was seeing with 185.* (but not 180.*), though it's only been a day or so thus far.

In the mean time, disabling KDE compositing is a fairly effective (but rather ugly and surprisingly slow) workaround.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Merlin wrote:
FWIW, I've updated to KDE 4.3.3, 2.6.31-gentoo-r6, xorg-server 1.7.1 and nvidia-drivers 190.42-r3, and the story is exactly the same as before (insufficient resources with "too many" windows open). On the plus side, I have yet to see one of the incredibly irritating X crashes that I was seeing with 185.* (but not 180.*), though it's only been a day or so thus far.

In the mean time, disabling KDE compositing is a fairly effective (but rather ugly and surprisingly slow) workaround.

BTW, I have some issues with Nvidia 8500GT card and all kind of drivers from 173 to 190 (although 190 is better) - kwin uses 5% of CPU even on idle, and glxgears drops from 6000fps to 4000 fps under KDE4.

At the same time the other desktop with older Quadro FX1000 card with 173.x.x drivers is doing just fine - no idle CPU, glxgears at 3000 fps with and without KDE4.

I should check how opened windows affect it.
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (finally) started a thread on nvnews.net: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=142230

Hopefully it goes somewhere...
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Merlin wrote:
I (finally) started a thread on nvnews.net: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=142230

Hopefully it goes somewhere...

Hm, that seems to be rather fundamental issue. I wonder whether full screen mode switch should be disabling compositing then ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: