Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Discussion of a report
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User: cokehabit
Topic: Russia scraps missiles after Obama scraps shield
Reason: Racial slur

Although this was stated sarcastically, as though to attribute the slur to the other person, this is a highly offensive term and even the implication that oldschool would say it is extremely offensive to the casual reader. This is over the line. Way over the line.

To me -- a casual reader regarding OTW -- the sarcasm is clear and I wouldn't think of it as an attack/slur directed at old school. The term itself is offensive of course, but it is OTW. --Earthwings
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Topic: Russia scraps missiles after Obama scraps shield
Reason: Racial slur

Although this was stated sarcastically, as though to attribute the slur to the other person, this is a highly offensive term and even the implication that oldschool would say it is extremely offensive to the casual reader. This is over the line. Way over the line.
:lol: :lol: :lol: You HAVE to be kidding, right?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The person you said this to was offended. This term is universally considered to be the ultimate in offensive name-calling for a person of middle eastern descent. It's is also offensive to blacks. In one fell swoop, you offended not only anyone of Middle Eastern descent in the forums, but everyone of African heritage, AND the person you insulted by trying to imply this is a statement they would make.

This isn't even remotely borderline, it is a glaringly offensive statement and a personal attack. Way over the line.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, continuing the harassment by starting a new thread to troll and degrade me probably isn't going to help your case much. It might be wiser to take a break, cool down, and reconsider.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5982046.html#5982046
Quote:
failcracker

Furthermore, if you review the contents of that thread, you will note nearly universal agreement that your assertion that oldschool probably calls Arabs "sand niggers" was degradingly offensive and a personal attack.

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topic: Trying to get me banned...
Reason: can we please just have one thread for this?

and btw, @bk: generalized slurs are not actually against the rules. Personal attacks are. And it's the choice of the attackee or the mods whether it's bannable, not somebody who was once banned by someone else.

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
Topic: Trying to get me banned...
Reason: can we please just have one thread for this?

and btw, @bk: generalized slurs are not actually against the rules. Personal attacks are. And it's the choice of the attackee or the mods whether it's bannable, not somebody who was once banned by someone else.

It was a personal attack. It was also degrading to anyone in the forum who is of Middle Eastern descent, and degrading people IS against the rules. It wasn't mildly degrading, it was enormously degrading.

Also, oldschool said he was offended by it. (In that same thread by cokehabit above). So did several other people. Besides, he knows better.

Also, this is a reporting thread, not a discussion thread. Let's not abuse it.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
It's is also offensive to blacks.

It's also more than offensive to define someone by a color... It's just call xenophobia in my country, and it's racism.
So, go report yourself now bad boy.

And it's not flamming, just true (this is to save donahue's time)
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Also, this is a reporting thread, not a discussion thread. Let's not abuse it.
Capital idea. Thanks for making my cleanup easier. :wink:\
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topic: Possible BNP teacher BAN
Reason: Personal attack.

cokehabit wrote:
oh what's that? Smells like shit to me... Oh yes, BK has opened his mouth again
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

cokehabit wrote:
If you speak rubbish expect to be called out on it.

Saying that you're speaking crap isn't a personal attack, saying that you are crap would be a personal attack.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

cokehabit wrote:
If you speak rubbish expect to be called out on it.

Saying that you're speaking crap isn't a personal attack, saying that you are crap would be a personal attack.

Nice try, but you pushed it too far this time.

Also, stop abusing the reporting thread. I'm not going to debate this with you here.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sharing cokehabit's opinion that it is directed at what you are saying, not your person.

Apart from that, I'd like to ask you two to clear up whatever problems you two have. Please do it in private. Stay away from each other if that doesn't work out.

Merged last three posts from the Feedback thread.
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Iran is under Russia's protective wing, to an extent. For decades, the Soviets used the Arabs to fight a proxy war against the U.S. (by way of the Israelis). Those power structures are still in place to a great extent (for example, they buy Russian weapons).

A bit unrelated but I find this comment by BoneKracker offensive to everyone living in Iran, as they are not Arabs but Persians (and very proud of it) and it's a great insult to them.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I didn't know this thread was here
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you guys are going to turn a blind eye yet again.

Fine.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
Quote:
Iran is under Russia's protective wing, to an extent. For decades, the Soviets used the Arabs to fight a proxy war against the U.S. (by way of the Israelis). Those power structures are still in place to a great extent (for example, they buy Russian weapons).

A bit unrelated but I find this comment by BoneKracker offensive to everyone living in Iran, as they are not Arabs but Persians (and very proud of it) and it's a great insult to them.

Don't be ridiculous. It was a minor slip of the tongue, and completely unrelated to this obvious insult, where cokehabit came right out and said my mouth smells like shit.

He repeatedly makes such posts, engineered to provide some sort of plausible explanation as to why they weren't "really" and insult. And he has repeatedly been allowed to slide. Meanwhile, many other people have repeatedly been banned for lesser offenses, often in response to his ceaseless trolling. What is the rationale behind the selective application of the rules?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earthwings wrote:
I'm sharing cokehabit's opinion that it is directed at what you are saying, not your person.

Apart from that, I'd like to ask you two to clear up whatever problems you two have. Please do it in private. Stay away from each other if that doesn't work out.

Merged last three posts from the Feedback thread.

Quote:

It was a direct insult.

As to working it out on our own, I sent a PM to cokehabit after the last time he was creating problems. Here is the contents of it:
Quote:

I have made a proposition I'd like you to consider:

Quote:
In the meanwhile, for the sake of the forums, I think you and I should declare a truce, and agree not to say anything negative to or about each other for a while. If we show each other some mutual respect for a while (including not encouraging others to act as proxies on our behalf), things will likely be better for everybody.

What do you say? A month-long truce? Experimental friendship? :)

He did not accept.

If you don't ban him for this, that's fine with me. I will take it as your expressed endorsement of the type of behavior that he is engaging in, and as license to do the same. And the next time I am reported for a "borderline" post, I will be pasting this discussion in here to remind everyone of the precedent set by you.

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
And why are you even in this discussion?

Now that's not a good way to make friends.

You are the one who took the topic to a public forum. If you don't want the public to interfere you should do as someone suggested above, and sort it privately. And if you think that there's a problem or someone did something wrong, report it and moderators will take actions if they think that the reported person did something wrong.

I have no idea who's the culprit here, and I really don't care. I am not going into Off the wall because I have more important issues to handle and attend. This is primarily a tech forum and I concentrate on that, and not on moderating a forum about politics, princesses wedding acts or teenager punk-rock bands. But if you are really susceptible you shouldn't be bothering with the off the wall subforum. There's nothing important in there and you can find all kind of crap.

As said, I am not pronouncing myself (not as a user, and much less as a moderator) about who's got the reason. I want that to be very clear. :!:

Last edited by i92guboj on Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
ssuominen wrote:
Quote:

Don't be ridiculous. It was a minor slip of the tongue, and completely unrelated to this obvious insult, where cokehabit came right out and said my mouth smells like shit.

He repeatedly makes such posts, engineered to provide some sort of plausible explanation as to why they weren't "really" and insult. And he has repeatedly been allowed to slide. Meanwhile, many other people have repeatedly been banned for lesser offenses, often in response to his ceaseless trolling. What is the rationale behind the selective application of the rules?
no, I said you're talking crap.

If you didn't keep speaking rubbish to try and provoke me then you wouldn't get your panties in a twist when the mods and admins see right through you. You ruined a perfectly good discussion, we were all discussing in a perfectly civil manner until you came along and just spouted crap to try and provoke m into making a response:
Quote:
But don't waste your breath trying to explain that to cokehabit.

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
ssuominen wrote:
Quote:

If you didn't keep speaking rubbish to try and provoke me then you wouldn't get your panties in a twist when the mods and admins see right through you. You ruined a perfectly good discussion, we were all discussing in a perfectly civil manner until you came along and just spouted crap to try and provoke m into making a response:
Quote:
But don't waste your breath trying to explain that to cokehabit.

There is nothing wrong with that statement. We were having a political discussion. But then you have to turn around and tell me my mouth smells like shit? Excuse me?

There was absolutely nothing wrong with what I said. Your response, on the other hand, was totally out of line and highly insulting.

I have listened to all your stories about how you are so good at getting people banned. How you are the king troll. I know you take pride in your ability to create problems in discussions and then weasel your way out of it with the mods. But that doesn't mean I'm going to stand there and take it when you fire off a direct insult at me like that one.

Every time the forums get out of control, you're behind it. Practically every time somebody gets banned, you're involved somehow. Naib just got banned because you were egging him on, text-messaging him behind the scenes, stirring up trouble. You have got some serious issues if you are taking OTW that seriously.

I have had enough of your constant harassment, insults, trolling, badgering, and making derogatory statements about me. The moderators can either choose to do something about it, or not. But I'm not going to just sit there and be harassed by you because you've developed some kind of obsession with me or something.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:

No, you said what you said. It's right there in black and white.

You don't get to re-word it. You said:
cokehabit wrote:
oh what's that? Smells like shit to me... Oh yes, BK has opened his mouth again :roll:

I've tried being civil with you. I've even tried ignoring you. But then you just can't restrain yourself from making such attacks.

And I'm fine with it, if the same rules apply to everyone. But if others do this, they get banned. You do it, and you slide. That doesn't work.

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no clue what your mouth smells like and wouldn't - and didn't - comment on it.

Trying to twist my words like that to get me banned is low, even for you!

And my point was that you came into a genuine discussion with people discussing views and made an inane and stupid comment that had no relevance to the discussion at hand. You offered no view, no discussion, no facts, NOTHING, you just took it upon yourself to troll me by saying "But don't waste your breath trying to explain that to cokehabit."
think4urs11
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
If you didn't keep speaking rubbish to try and provoke me then you wouldn't get your panties in a twist when the mods and admins see right through you.

Well, you're nearly constantly walking along the edge, sometimes just below the ban-borderline, sometimes just above.
Probably having a course in political correctness or alike wouldn't hurt. (not only to you, to some others as well)

It always takes two in that game; one beeing the provoker and one beeing the provoked.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
I have no clue what your mouth smells like and wouldn't - and didn't - comment on it.

Trying to twist my words like that to get me banned is low, even for you!

And my point was that you came into a genuine discussion with people discussing views and made an inane and stupid comment that had no relevance to the discussion at hand. You offered no view, no discussion, no facts, NOTHING, you just took it upon yourself to troll me by saying "But don't waste your breath trying to explain that to cokehabit."

Liar.

You're a liar. I had participated extensively in that discussion, more even than you.

Furthermore, we had discussed the same topic before, and you had made your position stubbornly well-known, and contrary to what energyman76b was expressing. There was absolutely nothing wrong with what I said. It was perfectly in keeping with the Forum Guidelines.

You retort, on the other hand, was a direct violation of the Forum Guidelines. It was specifically worded by you to convey a very insulting message. You're not fooling anyone.
think4urs11
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please calm down - EVERYBODY
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: