FF8 and other wine games.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gentoo_newguy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: FF8 and other wine games. Reply with quote

Hi there.
I have just installed wine and wine doors and have managed to get my FF8 installed .
The only problem i have is the soiund and video are really glitchy making the game almost unplayable.

Is there any special things you need to do when installing games under wine ?
Im new to this all and have been searching for days on the net.
Oerpi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this helps:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9661
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play Final Fantasy VIII on W.I.N.E., but I forget the configuration. If you're trying to use hardware 3D acceleration, please don't; it almost certainly won't work. In fact, it doesn't even work in Windows.
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't get this working you might try the playstation version with a psx emulator. It worked pretty well the last time I tried it.
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember how I made it work (thankfully I posted in WineHQ about it). Just install the Windows version, use software 3D, and if you want for the in-game MIDI to work, get and copy dmband.dll, dmime.dll, dmloader.dll, dmstyle.dll, dmsynth.dll, dmusic.dll, and eax.dll into ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32, then tell WINE to use the native versions of those files.

Hyper_Eye: Which Playstation emulator do you use?
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like epsxe and for some games I use Pcsx. The plugins I use are:

Pete's XGL2 Driver - video plugin
Eternal SPU Plugin 1.41 - sound plugin
ammoQ's padJoy Joy Device Driver 0.8 - external gamepad plugin

I use my wireless XBox 360 controller with it and the analog support works.
darklegion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have problems with the linux version of ePSXe, you can also use the windows version, which also has compatibility fixes (1.7.0).I use it because ammoq never really works properly with my ps2 controller + converter.
Not to mention you can use the visual rumble feature with pete's latest opengl2 plugin, which is pretty cool IMO :)
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF7 in Wine works swimmingly with the alternative OpenGL driver for FF7: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8306 (I'm currently using v0.6.8b, the first version to add full Wine compatibility)

Do a regular install (make sure you use install using something like `wine d:\\setup.exe`, if you use `wine /mnt/cdrom/setup.exe`, FF7 will store your CD-ROM drive as Z: and won't be able to find the CD when you go to play! (Which you can fix with some registry edits, but it's easier to get it right to start with)), patch FF7 using the official 1.02 patch, run FF7Config.exe to configure things, unzip the OpenGL driver into your FF7 install directory, run `wine regedit ff7_opengl.reg` and then `wine ff7.exe`. It should work perfectly!

Note that if you have a multicore processor, you will get better results if you force FF7's process affinity to a single core (After FF7 is running, try this: `taskset -p 0x00000001 $(pgrep ff7.exe)`). In particular, without the affinity set, you will see random hangs (including right before the EIDOS video plays when you start the game, try it a few times if you get this), and you'll notice that the MIDI music will stop playing after a transition about half the time (possibly more often with >2 cores). The same issue has been reported on Windows as well, the game likely has subtle timing issues that were never discovered on a single core machine.

Also note that if you run FF7Config.exe, it will reset the video driver back to the built-in one, simply run `wine regedit ff7_opengl.reg` again to fix this.

I've played through to Mt. Corel so far without issue, and will play further today.
Hyper_Eye
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to set the process affinity like that. You can just start wine with taskset. 'taskset -c # app' (ex. 'taskset -c 0 wine ff7.exe' will start FF7 on your first cpu/core.)
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyper_Eye wrote:
You don't have to set the process affinity like that. You can just start wine with taskset. 'taskset -c # app' (ex. 'taskset -c 0 wine ff7.exe' will start FF7 on your first cpu/core.)

That's true, although Wine spawns at least two processes (ff7.exe and wineserver), I don't know how taskset will behave in such a case, or if it'll still give you the desired results, so that's the method that I'm using.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: