Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Which kernel is the best compromise between stability and ac
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gentoo-fan

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 6:08 pm    Post subject: Which kernel is the best compromise between stability and ac Reply with quote

Hi,

on the one hand a new kernel is a fine thing.

But on the other hand a new kernel could be
too new to be "rock solid" becuase it hasn't
been tested enough.

What kernel do you suggest to use for a "rock
solid" dual-processor/scsi LAMPS-System?

And if it doesn't make to much trouble: why
is ReiserFS said to be sooo unstable.
Is that really true or does it depend on the
HASH I select?

Thank you very much!

gentoo-fan
phaze3k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know why ReiserFS is said to be so unstable, I've been using it for quite some time (~1 yr) without any problems, and there have been some pretty big deployments of it (MP3.com comes to mind).
In Linux terms XFS is arguably far less tested (note I'm not saying that's necessarily unstable).

For a 'rock solid' system I'd suggest a plain vanilla 2.4.18 kernel, although it depends on your definition of 'rock solid'. I'm assuming you mean 'not going to trash all my data and crash every five minutes'. If you mean you have a production server on which downtime will mean serious money in lost business, I'd suggest using Debian woody with a 2.2.19 (2.2.20 when it comes out) kernel.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Which kernel is the best compromise between stability an Reply with quote

gentoo-fan wrote:
What kernel do you suggest to use for a "rock
solid" dual-processor/scsi LAMPS-System?

A kernel is a kernel is a kernel. It's more a matter of the crap you pile on top of it that leads to instability.

For a "rock solid" system, I would go with a 2.2.19 kernel and ext2 because those have been out for a long, long time and have been well-tested. For that matter, I'd go with Debian Potato, because it's been out forever and is (IMO) the best-tested, most-stable linux distro out there.

However, "rock solid" comes at a price -- namely, older versions of software. Don't expect "rock solid" and "php 4.2" and/or "Apache 2.0" to be in the same sentence.

IMO, Gentoo should not be considered "rock solid" yet, nor would I consider running a mission critical server on it. It's great for a desktop or for a development server, but it just hasn't matured enough to be considered production stable. (nor should it be expected to - it's still a 1.x product and is continuing to improve at each step)

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: